Please help me with the purchase of an organic king sized mattress! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-24-2013, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am not knowledgeable on this subject at all.  I have no idea if there are brands i need to avoid, scams, what type of materials to choose, etc, but we are finally sortof at the point that we can purchase an organic mattress, as long as we can find a good price, and I need some help!  Our budget is $3000, and this has to include box spring/foundation, shipping, sheets and a mattress pad.  I will get a bed frame seperatly but of course would love for this ALL to come in under $3000! :)   So, knowledgeable mama's, tell me what you think!  I am thinking I want: A firm natural rubber/latex mattress with a wool/organic cotton outer.  Is that a good choice?  Anyone have experience with just organic cotton core?  Any other options?  DH is pretty conventional, and is VERY skeptical of the idea of an organic mattress, so it's gotta be good or he will be very upset!  Lol Thank you!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 04-24-2013, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)

I think it is a good choice. we have two latex (talalay sp?)there are zip covers to keep them from sliding. And we have a wool topper which I absolutely love. Wool has so many benefits. It's expensive. I think our wool topper(queen size) was $500 and the latex we got from amazon. If you'd like I can research the seller we bought them from. We have it all on a regular box spring......looking into a platform base.

Best

#3 of 7 Old 05-04-2013, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm also interested if latex are any good?

We're moving into an old house where our king size might not be able to fit so I was thinking a latex mattress might work but do they last as well as regular spring mattresses? Hubby is worried it will sink. He's pretty tall, so not on the lighter side, and needs a supportive mattress. 

#4 of 7 Old 05-13-2013, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaping View Post

I'm also interested if latex are any good?

We're moving into an old house where our king size might not be able to fit so I was thinking a latex mattress might work but do they last as well as regular spring mattresses? Hubby is worried it will sink. He's pretty tall, so not on the lighter side, and needs a supportive mattress. 

Hey so I bought one, it is from Sleeping Organic.com.  They have a 20yr warrenty and I found some youtube video's on the diff types of latex and stuff and from what I've read it looks like they will probably last even longer than an innerspring, but only if it's 100% natural latex, not the one's at the mattress stores that are mostly or all synthetic.  My dad has one of those and it started wearing out and got way softer after only 1 year!  I hear that's because they mix natural and synthetic latex's together.  Anyway, I havent gotten the mattress yet that I ordered, it takes awhile to manufacture, but I got the box spring, pillow and puddle pad that I ordered with it.  I got a low profile queen size talalay latex pillow free with it that I hate though, it;s WAY too soft, so I'd recommend asking if you could switch te free pillow offer to wool or kapok, or just get a little discount on the bed if u dont need pillows ;)

#5 of 7 Old 07-07-2013, 08:10 AM

Did you get your mattress? Do you like it? Which one did you order/what layers did you choose?

I'm researching this now as I'm wanting to replace our Tempurpedic with a non-toxic one. 

Thanks!

#6 of 7 Old 07-12-2013, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Hi there, I did order it and recieve it and we love it!  On my side of the bed I have the top layer as "soft" and my husband has "medium".  We are both very happy with it!  There is little difference between the 2, but I definitely prefer the soft, it is not super soft by any means.  The company seems like a very good company as well, and were the most reasonable priced that I could find!

#7 of 7 Old 07-17-2013, 04:50 AM

Almost three years ago we bought the organic latex and wool model from ikea. My husband and I have NOT been happy with it. It's affordable, but not comfortable. At first it was too hard for me and now three years later its a very lumpy mattress. We're actually considering buying something more conventional (toxic) just to be more comfortable.

A friend of mine just got a sleep number bed and is in heaven. We might go that route once we stop bed sharing with our daughter.

Darla dishes.gif Jimguitar.gif Wrenflower.gif Papahat.gif Grandma dog2.gifNana Anne jumpers.gif & the Great Cosmic Mimi om.gif
3 houses - 2 blocks in the old neighborhood = 1 eclectic/traditional tribe!

Tags
Mindful Home

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page