Need TOOOONS OF HELP, INFO AND ENCOURAGEMENT becoming a natural family - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-01-2013, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok so long story short...I read an article of a baby dieing of vaccines. Which then led me to an article about Baby soap and the yuck in it....which then led me to the crap in our food, which then led me to the crap in everything we own, eat, drink, smell, touch etc etc...and really I just cant quit reading it all! Everything is so so bad for us! Makes me sad about all the stuff I was exposed to and expose my family to! What do i do and where do I start? Its so scary!!!!!! And tonite I read this article and I about puked thinking about all the vaccinations Ive put into my childrens bodies! We homeschool BUT my goodness they cant even go to Public school without vaccinies! Its such a sad scary world out there and I had NO IDEA!

So I will most definatley be making some big life changes in our lives but have NO IDEA where to start.

Hubby watched a Documentary last night about Meat and how apparently its not even good for us (yeah remember all those childhood days when they convinced us that Meat is something we always need in our diets) *PUH*

Anyways...a Dr did a study on rats and he gave the rats so much (a very little amount) of meat protien and the rats got CANCER. And did u know that there are countries they have done studies on that went thru a poor time with no meat nor fish and the death rates went waaaaaaaaay down. But as soon as they started eating meat again..death tolls sky rocketed. 
I mean really what are we as parents suppose to do? I dont even know where to start or do research or what to change or anything@! I mean Im straight up meat loving fast food eating mama who uses all most def UN-NATURAL things in my home. I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO or where to even get any info! YIKES!

Could someone please share some info with this big family mama? It would be greatly appreciated?

#2 of 7 Old 06-02-2013, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)

Hi Dahlia64,

Don't panic. You will probably have to make changes gradually. I've been living naturally for the past 15 years and am still making refinements.

If I were in your position, the first things I would do would be to eliminate:

* petroleum-based products (mostly household and body cleaners)

* food with preservatives

You can clean with natural soap, vinegar, baking soda, essential oils, and natural detergents. These products are available even in the grocery stores now. Replace cosmetics, shampoos, laundry detergent, toothpaste, etc with natural products.

Read all labels and don't buy anything with preservatives in it. A lot of food packages now say "no preservatives."

Gradually you can make choices toward more natural products in other ways as well: buying organic, for example.

In terms of the meat issue that you describe, there is a good body of literature supporting just about any type of diet imaginable. I personally don't believe the material claiming that meat is harmful. Processed, grain-fed, chemically-laden meat is not healthy, but not because of the animal protein it contains. I think that studies like The China Study don't differentiate among types and qualities of meat and the health of the population overall. There is a chart in that book that describes the many awful ailments that the low-meat-eating population suffered from; most are the result of malnutrition. There were more ailments in the low-meat-eating group than in the meat-eating group; I think that the book plays up the Western fear of cancer (the cause of which is still largely undetermined except in cases of radiation and metal contaminants). So be prepared to do lots of research and be willing to change your mind as your knowledge evolves. I think it's better to be healthy than to be dogmatic.

My personal experience in 15 years of serious investigation and experience is that natural animal foods, especially fat, are the best foods for people.

Good luck with your efforts!

Puma

fruitfulmomma and Oread like this.
#3 of 7 Old 06-03-2013, 08:09 AM

It can be very overwhelming to realize all the things that we can/need to change.  Puma gives some great advice.  First take a deep breath and enjoy the life you've got now.  I think in an effort to become more "natural" we forget that it can become stressful and too much stress can make you unhealthy.

We've been going natural for the past 5 years or so and we've still got a long way to go.  I would start with what you use on a daily basis first.  Like sanitary products, and cleaning products.  I'd also look into my kitchen and get rid of most (I still use some) foods with unnatural dyes, preservatives, and flavours.  I also changed all of my cooking utensils to stainless steel or cast iron--this part just in the past year.  I've also gotten rid of most plastic containers, though I still use freezer bags and such.  

I also agree with Puma about the meat.  We eat grass fed pasture raised beef and wild caught fish.  We also eat naturally raised lamb, goat, and rabbit.  We eat eggs from pastured chickens--we're a family of 3 and go through about 4 dozen eggs a week.  Eggs are amazing for you if the chickens are healthy and raised the way they are intended to be raised. Studies on cholesterol and eggs are all done on conventionally raised eggs, not farm fresh pastured eggs. Our dairy products also come from pastured cows, and they are raw so no pasteurization.  Some people are sensitive to the lactose in cow's milk, but can be just fine with goat's milk.  

For our family the unhealthy foods were not fats, or meat, or dairy, but gluten.  Gluten is found in grains like wheat, rye, spelt, barley, and kamut.  

pumabearclan likes this.

crochetsmilie.gifWife to DH (PhD candidate at U of T) who also photosmile2.gif.  We conceived baby #1 in September joy.gif.  We plan to signcirc1.gifbfinfant.gifmomsling.GIFdh_malesling.GIFfamilybed1.gif and possibly homebirth.jpg

#4 of 7 Old 06-03-2013, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

OK! Thanks to both of you. So Im not really sure what to look for in products or what to not look for. Id like to replace our foods and our Bath and Body products first. Id like something with a coconut oil base for the Bath and Body stuff. ANy ideas? Any special places to shop[ at that u know of? And what about cleaning products? Im not even sure what to look for? LOL! I would love to make my own with fresh herbs and stuff or maby just stuff that smells really yummy. Have u looked into the Honest Companys cleaning stuff? The Jessica Alba brand? Is that stuff ok? It looked like good stuff but IDK. :) 

#5 of 7 Old 06-04-2013, 09:43 AM

For cleaning I use a water and vinegar mix ( about half and half) with a squirt of dish soap or Dr. Bronners soap (http://www.drbronner.com/).  You can pretty much use Dr. Bronners for all soap needs (shampoo, soap, etc.)  When cleaning in the kitchen I use the vinegar mix (in a spray bottle) alone.  When in the bathroom I use the vinegar mix and baking soda.  I apply coconut oil on my skin for moisturizing, just the coconut oil about once a week.  Sometimes I make my own salves and use that for moisturizing. I don't know about the brands you mention.  For dish soap I use Earth Friendly Products, I think Amazon carries them.  

crochetsmilie.gifWife to DH (PhD candidate at U of T) who also photosmile2.gif.  We conceived baby #1 in September joy.gif.  We plan to signcirc1.gifbfinfant.gifmomsling.GIFdh_malesling.GIFfamilybed1.gif and possibly homebirth.jpg

#6 of 7 Old 06-05-2013, 03:54 AM

Don´t panic.

Especially with the vaccines it is not easy to make the right decision- as well as you might harm your child with a vaccine, not vaccinating can lead to diseases and their complications (and disabilities or death) too.

Ask yourself, which thing you could live with more easily.

I have decided to vaccinate later and not against everything, but vaccinating or not is a very difficult thing to decide upon.

With the other things you have gotten good advice already.

#7 of 7 Old 06-05-2013, 07:30 AM

Don't believe everything you read, just because something was written to sound scary doesn't mean it is true. There is a ton of information and conflicting studies, and plenty of people writing with agendas they are trying to prove. Try to read scientific journal articles when possible, our at least articles that cite their sources. I am very into some aspects of the sort of crunchy, natural living thing, but I make my own decisions - I am pro-vaccination and I eat meat, and have plenty of pretty solid evidence to back up my choices. That doesn't mean people who make other choices are wrong, but everyone has different life experiences and priorities that determine how they evaluate risk. For example, I view the risk from vaccines themselves as being fairly small compared to the risk from some of the horrible childhood diseases that vaccines have basically eradicated (and this is from someone who had a bad reaction to a vaccine as a child). I totally understand people who chose not to vaccinate, but make sure you get information from a variety of sources with different perspectives, and don't be afraid to change your mind. 

One of the easiest and cheapest changes you can make is eliminating household and personal care products with toxic chemicals in them. 98% of my household cleaning is just vinegar, water, lemon juice, baking soda, and elbow grease. I use only regular bar soap instead of expensive and toxic face and body washes (that turned out to be causing my acne, instead of fixing it), oils as moisturizers (which I rarely need now that I stopped using harsh cleansers), and don't use shampoo (it took a while for my hair to adjust, but it is far healthier and nicer than it ever was before). 

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

Is an amazing website for finding out which home products, cosmetics, etc are the most and least toxic. 

And as a previous commenter said, work on cutting out processed foods. That has been an ongoing process for us as it can be so easy to fall back on frozen dinners or fast food when you're short on time and energy, but I believe that is the single most impactful food choice that you can make but it does take work and lots of planning. 

pumabearclan likes this.

Tags
Mindful Home

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page