Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By doopamama
  • 1 Post By pumabearclan

#1 of 10 Old 06-28-2013, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I got two gorgeous medium-sized wool rugs from a flea market a while back.  They're both old and were pretty heavily dirty - no amount of vacuuming or shaking/beating can get them all the way clean.  This doesn't matter that much to me personally, but we're having a baby soon and I definitely wouldn't want to let him/her crawl around on the rug, since I have no idea what kind of gross stuff is in there.  Anyone have good tips for thoroughly cleaning an old gross rug without using nasty chemicals?  (I don't care how it looks, just want it to be baby-safe).
Thanks!

#2 of 10 Old 06-28-2013, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Are they small enough to cram in an oversize washer at a laundromat? Wash on cold and lay flat to dry would probably be ideal. Depending on the type of rug, wool sometimes mats up (turns  to felt) so it's best to wash on "delicate" so it doesn't get too much agitation in the washer.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#3 of 10 Old 06-29-2013, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)

Natural soap, soft scrubber brush, garden hose, dry in sun

#4 of 10 Old 07-03-2013, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

I'll try and scrub them out outside like Puma said - we're living in Germany these days and laundromats aren't really a big thing here.  
Thanks for the tips, guys!

#5 of 10 Old 07-03-2013, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Good luck! I know I'd have trouble getting a rug to dry in this humidity unless most of the water got wrung out in a washer. But a garden hose would be my next approach if I couldn't cram it into a washer. Many people in the US have wet/dry vacs or can rent a steam vacuum cleaner (my grocery store has them for rent) for cleaning carpets. They suck out some of the water but it's still best to set up fans to help dry. Hopefully your climate isn't too humid. We've had rain daily for weeks...

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#6 of 10 Old 06-18-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post
<p>Are they small enough to cram in an oversize washer at a laundromat? Wash on cold and lay flat to dry would probably be ideal. Depending on the type of rug, wool sometimes mats up (turns  to felt) so it's best to wash on "delicate" so it doesn't get too much agitation in the washer.</p>
Thanks.
#7 of 10 Old 07-08-2014, 03:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I would like to suggest you to use some different vacuum cleaner which is made up of new techniques. Try rainbow vacuums, I will sure that it can help you a lot.
#8 of 10 Old 07-15-2014, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
hang it on something like a sturdy (REALLY STURDY) laundry line or gate or fence and spray it with as much direct water pressure as you can get from your garden hose.

you can try a natural soap or something to help with getting all the gunk out, something like bronners is what i'd use.

rinse and allow it to dry outside on your sturdy fence or laundry line.

that's basically what we did when our thick wool blankets got used to help with scalding a pig once. they're perfectly fine now if a little dog-hairy from no washing int he last number of years. basically we tried to spray everything back out of the blanket via pressure. I imagine it might be similar with a wool rug...

hope that helps!
pumabearclan likes this.

Farming mama to DD1 (10/18/07), DD2 (10/3/09) who are always DS born 8.21.14 and wife to loving hubby (6/23/2007).
#9 of 10 Old 07-24-2014, 06:01 AM

you can try a natural soap or something to help with getting all the gunk out, something like bronners is what i'd use
#10 of 10 Old 07-27-2014, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doopamama View Post
hang it on something like a sturdy (REALLY STURDY) laundry line or gate or fence and spray it with as much direct water pressure as you can get from your garden hose.

you can try a natural soap or something to help with getting all the gunk out, something like bronners is what i'd use.

rinse and allow it to dry outside on your sturdy fence or laundry line.

that's basically what we did when our thick wool blankets got used to help with scalding a pig once. they're perfectly fine now if a little dog-hairy from no washing int he last number of years. basically we tried to spray everything back out of the blanket via pressure. I imagine it might be similar with a wool rug...

hope that helps!

Copious hot water, natural soap like Bronners, washed and dried outside in the sun. Use a deck scrub or hand scrub brush, it will fluff the nap and clean more deeply.
doopamama likes this.

Tags
Mindful Home

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page