Let's pretend gas is $20 a gallon - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 61 Old 08-07-2013, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What do you change about how you live your life? What do you keep the same? How specifically would that high price impact your family?

We live within bike riding distance of most of what we need, so we'd be riding bikes more than we do, and finding a way to ride them in the winter I guess. Yikes.
#2 of 61 Old 08-07-2013, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)

At that price, there is no way we could afford to heat our house. 

The thing that gets overlooked about high gas prices is how they effect the price of everything else.  If gas is $20 a gallon, food costs go up, because most of our food is grown in places like California and South America, and flown and trucked in.  If gas is $20 a gallon, public transit costs go up (because public transit has fuel costs too).  You can avoid putting gas in your car, but you're still going to wind up paying for gas.  You'll just pay for more of it at the grocery store.

We can't get by as a society in the long-term without alternative fuels, and greater work towards ecological sustainability.

justmama, A&A, CI Mama and 4 others like this.
#3 of 61 Old 08-07-2013, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

We are affluent enough we could get a geothermal system put in if it started creeping up that far. We've talked about it anyway as our furnace is old. But I agree, our long term solutions are going to have to come from sustainable energy alternatives.
#4 of 61 Old 08-07-2013, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I sometimes wish gas prices were much higher bc then people might make changes in how they live, At the same time DP's job stability is impacted by fuel prices (commercial aviation) so I don't really wish for it.

If all fuel prices rose-
Personally, we would bike more than we do. Our house is mostly heated by wood but maybe we would heat fully with wood. DP only commutes to work one day a week so it wouldn't change where we live.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#5 of 61 Old 08-08-2013, 03:44 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Yeah, ummmmm.....we'd starve.  We could probably get down to one tank of gas per month for things like doctor's appts and such since everything else is pretty much within walking distance.  BUT with the cost of food going up and us living in a region with a shorter growing season, we'd probably starve to death and freeze all winter.  We could be cold and just muddle through but the pipes would freeze pretty fast without a decent amt of heat.  

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#6 of 61 Old 08-08-2013, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I feel like we'd have a catch 22: I'd want to move into a city where food/shops were in walking distance. I'd also want to grow more of my own food, raise my own meat, etc. Hmm. Maybe an alternatively fueled car?
#7 of 61 Old 08-08-2013, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Assuming a simple what if where just gas went to $20 per galloon (setting aside the ripple effect on food, heating, etc) we would walk and bike more.  We live, work, go to school and shop within a two mile radius of our home so cutting back on the car trips would be a challenge but not a true hardship.

I wonder just how high gas needs to go to get people to change their ways.  For example, I know plenty of guys with huge pick-up trucks that will leave them idling in the parking lot (which I hate because the fumes come into my office) for 15-20 mins while they are in my workplace conducting transactions.  Or standing at the check-out counter at my local gas station and seeing people complain about $4 gas as they pile the bottled water, Red Bull, ice tea, cigs, etc. on the counter.  How high would gas need to go before the bottled drinks don't get purchased?

swede likes this.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#8 of 61 Old 08-08-2013, 09:23 PM

I live in AK, 9 months out of the year, it would not be feasible to solely rely on walking/biking and not heating the house. I have no idea what we'd do.

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#9 of 61 Old 08-09-2013, 10:24 AM

Everything is about at least 8 to 10 miles away from us.  So I guess since we have land we would consider getting a horse.  Also hubby would probably skip daily coffee runs.

#10 of 61 Old 08-09-2013, 10:39 AM

It would probably make a difference whether the gas prices suddenly spiked, or whether we're talking 30 years into the future, and gas prices have been creeping up slowly.

If sudden spike, I think it would destabalize the entire economy, and who knows how we'd fare. We don't own a car and we buy a lot of our food locally, but that doesn't mean that we wouldn't be in deep doo-doo when public transportation prices go up, we can't afford to heat our house, and the local food system is suddenly over-taxed because everyone is trying to get their food that way.

A gradual rise in gas prices is a more likely scenario, and my hope is that it will be accompanied by more energy efficient technology and more ecologically friendly urban planning, so that quality of life goes up (not down) as a result of higher gas price. But that, of course, is only one likely scenario, and there are certainly less rosy ones.

Pepperdove likes this.

Living in Wisconsin with my partner of 20+ years and our DDenergy.gif(Born 10/09/08 ribboncesarean.gif). Why CI Mama? Because I love contact improvisation!

#11 of 61 Old 08-09-2013, 10:48 AM

That would be fairly terrifying.  We heat with natural gas,  and can get places like the schools by foot/bike, my husband takes a train to work, so in theory we would get by without driving.  And our neighbor is an amazing gardener, so I would probably want to learn from her, so we could rely more on ourselves for food.  But the effect that would have on our entire civilization is...scary.  It would certainly change our patterns, as I do a lot of driving to stores and friends that aren't right in town, we chose a preschool 20 minutes away, we like to drive to visit family/do recreational activities.  So certainly we would have to really change all of that.  But we are lucky to live walking distance to a train, the public schools, some private preschools and a grocery store.  I don't know how you would deal with those sorts of costs if you lived somewhere more rural.

#12 of 61 Old 08-09-2013, 10:53 AM

Whenever people complain about the price of gas, I always reply that it should be more expensive! And truly reflect the actual cost to our environment. Perhaps only then will we reconfigure our lives appropriately.

swede likes this.
#13 of 61 Old 08-09-2013, 12:31 PM

I've thought about this quite a bit actually ... pretty sure that on a fairly grand scale sh** would hit the fan.  Unless a sustainable alternative takes over the role of oil and gas we would all have to revert to pre automobile  lifestyles. Grow and preserve our own food, keep chickens/goats/cows and a horse for travel,  form tighter knit family/communities to barter and trade with, heat our homes with wood etc... it's do-able but on the grand scale that we would have to accomplish it in there would be more than a few bumps on the path and a fair amount of chaos as people try to make surviving work in the more heavily populated areas.

Our home is oil heated so we would have to create/incorporate an alternative ... either a heat pump if we budget for it or a wood stove (the house originally had two so the chimney is still there).
I would have to expand the gardens considerably and be way more concious of preserving for winter than I am now. Mostly I make jam ...but I would have tho seriously think about canning more veggies, soups, meats etc...

Hubby already spends a small fortune on gas getting to work (an hour commute each way) so he would probably have to work from home more often - which as a computer nerd he is well equipped to do (given that he still even has employment in this scenario).

I work from home for a doll company - so I imagine that I would probably be out of a job (luxury commodities are the first to go when prices surge)...fortunately I have some pretty good sewing skills so I can probably barter/trade sill/food for whatever we need.

Our mortgage isn't outrageous so so long as we can eat and make enough $ to pay the bills we should be ok. Given of course that people who aren't as well off as we are don't come and take what little we have.

The more you think about it the scarier the scenario becomes....

tireless sewer of teeny little clothes for Bamboletta dolls ...

#14 of 61 Old 08-09-2013, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I would stop considering sending my school age children back to private school and definitely homeschool them. Usually the only trips we make are to Holy Mass (church) on Sundays and the grocery store roughly once a week, and both are more than 5 miles away so hopefully my husband would continue to earn enough from home to pay for the gas to and from those two important destinations.

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#15 of 61 Old 08-10-2013, 11:24 AM

As Meepycat said, it is going to affect a lot more than just filling up the gas tank... but what would filling up the gas tank look for us? We live 20 and 25 miles from the towns we need to go to for services, there isn't really anything out here. Also hubby has to work. Me and the kids already don't leave the house often, preferably no more that 2x per week, once for church and once for groceries, appointments, or field trips. Field trips would be totally out for sure. One round trip to the store would go from between $9 and $12 to $60, or $6240 for the whole year. Double that to get hubby to work, although it is highly doubtful his business, which requires fuel-run equipment, would survive such a jump in prices. Oh, and it would be $400 just to go see my mom on the other end of the state.

#16 of 61 Old 08-10-2013, 12:45 PM

We home school and my husband works from home.  Technically we could bike to a food store.  I wouldn't like it, but we could rid ourselves of our car.  We only use oil for hot water, so I would be very mindful of laundry/hot showers/dishwasher use.  We have a pellet stove to heat the whole house.  So yes it would change our lives, but not drastically.  I'm glad this is theoretical because I don't like the thought of this.  I love my long hot showers ;)

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#17 of 61 Old 08-10-2013, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

its hard but i can manage without a car.

however if everything went up which it would then the answer is simple

- i would become homeless and finally attain the weight i would like to. i already live very close to the edge. 

- dd would have to change school and leave the program she was able to get into hopefully to get a good education. it is 10 miles from where we live now and if we had to live under the bridge then it would be double the distance. 

- worse i would have a living 'dead' mother who lives on the other side of the world coz i would not be able to visit her. she would be ok there if prices went up coz she is comfortably off. but it would kill her not to be able to talk to often and see her dd and gdd. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#18 of 61 Old 08-10-2013, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

It would take some outlay of funds to adapt to, but the savings would suddenly be worth it. I'm in a Mennonite and Amish area and halfway to their lifestyle already, guess we'd go farther. Get driving horses if we could get the hay. Wood heat, raise or hunt our own meat. DH would still drive to work, paying 8% of his income to get there though.

#19 of 61 Old 08-10-2013, 03:19 PM

We would be in big trouble :-(  

My husband commutes 55 miles to work one way, and my daughter's school is 25 minutes from our house.  We hate HATE going through this much fuel, and so we are moving as soon as we possibly can, but honestly I don't know what we would do in the mean time.  We live pretty much in the middle of nowhere - the closest business of any kind is about 10 miles away, so with three little kids and no public transportation, we drive absolutely everywhere.  

I'm always stuck.  Part of me wants to move closer to "civilization" (which we are doing within a few months as soon as we can close on our house) but part of me would love to buy a farm even further out where we could grow/raise our own food, live off the land, and home school.  I have nearly no practical skills though, so moving back to civilization it is.

Amanda

#20 of 61 Old 08-10-2013, 03:23 PM

Oh and I would make sure that our new neighbors are awesome because they would probably be the only people we could afford to see!

Along those lines, it would be nice though.  Communities would probably become more... well, communities again.

Amanda

#21 of 61 Old 08-10-2013, 06:13 PM

I agree we'd have to go back to living the way we used to as a society before cars. I wouldn't even know where to begin if this really happend, because we already struggle financially. Do u think this is going to happen in our lifetime?

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
#22 of 61 Old 08-10-2013, 06:21 PM

If it was just limited to driving prices, we'd manage all right. We'd sell the car and get a cargo bike and a commuting bike (preferably a solar/electric assist one). One for groceries and one to get my husband to work.  We live close enough to both the grocery store and his employment to make it function.  We couldn't afford to keep the car even though we only fill up the tank once a month under our current setup, because gas would go from a $40/month expense to a $200+/month expense and there's not that much play in our budget.  Gas prices could double and we'd manage, but not quintuple.

If we're imagining an economy-wide issue, we'd sell everything we owned for enough gas to get us to a better climate (Texas just simply will not do) near family, then pool resources with friends and family. There's a bit of family land we could live off of, and we've been working on the skills for that.  It's very isolated though.  It is hard to know whether it would be better to have land to grow things or to be walking distance from community functions. Not very many places accommodate both.

#23 of 61 Old 08-10-2013, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

This is a really scary thread.  A lot of people who already live at or below the poverty line like myself would be in some deep trouble.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#24 of 61 Old 08-10-2013, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sativarain1 View Post

I agree we'd have to go back to living the way we used to as a society before cars. I wouldn't even know where to begin if this really happend, because we already struggle financially. Do u think this is going to happen in our lifetime?

My hope is that we'll develop alternative fuel sources and this won't happen in our lifetime, because we can't go back to the way we were living before cars either.  In the past century, cities have been rebuilt and redesigned around cars.  We are incredibly efficient at growing food in the places best suited to agriculture, and shipping the results to where it's needed, and urban areas sprawl much further then they did when it was vital to have agriculture near the places where population was concentrated.

Also, although it's easy to forget it now, cars were a significant step up in urban cleanliness.  Heavy horse traffic resulted in filthy, smelly streets, and filthy, smelly water. 

#25 of 61 Old 08-10-2013, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

cars is just ONE aspect of crude. just ONE. we are ALL sooo dependent on petroleum. it permeates EVERY aspect of our life - no matter how off the grid we live. 

our future generation is pretty screwed if we dont find some answers in the next 100 years. i have to have faith that things will work out. we just dont see the outcome yet. perhaps there will be another 1900s hundreds jump in 'progress' where answers will help man. even alternate sources of power still needs to depend on products made from petroleum. 

• Plastics
  • Ink
  • Paint
  • Shoe Polish
  • Nylons
  • Roof shingles
  • Novelty Candy
  • Cosmetics
  • Candles
  • Vaseline
  • Bug Killer
  • Ammonia
  • Tires
  • Asphalt
  • Crayons
  • Paper cups
  • Wax paper 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#26 of 61 Old 08-11-2013, 07:11 PM

I'd take my family on the road with the full-on bug-out packs and start a gypsy lifestyle of annual migration based on seasonal work and growing/harvest times while honing our personal crafts/talents/joy and bartering/trading for as much as we can... and hope others will join us peacefully.

Pepperdove likes this.
#27 of 61 Old 08-11-2013, 08:15 PM

uh, and ideally in our hydrogen/solar powered winnebago (or traditional) at first, till we get to know the routes and stops we like ; )

Pepperdove likes this.
#28 of 61 Old 08-12-2013, 08:02 AM

I'm not sure what that would mean for public transit, but we don't own a vehicle at this point in time. I imagine, that it would drastically increase public transit prices, as well. In which case, we would be biking everywhere, or walking everywhere. I live on a military base though, and the nearest grocery store is in the town outside of the base, so I generally hitch a ride with others, and I imagine, with gas that high, I wouldn't be able to do that, either. SO I best have legs of steel!

#29 of 61 Old 08-12-2013, 08:15 AM

Wow. What a thought.

We're living on the edge right now so it's really hard to imagine how we'd make it given that $20 gas would affect more than just the gas tank. We have five kids and one on the way so we're in a van that is hardly mileage-efficient (although more efficient than two cars). We live about a mile from the closest grocery store so I guess that would be in walking distance if one took a large wagon with one (you can't carry groceries for eight people in two hands). Our kids are already homeschooled and we would continue that. Our church is a few blocks from the house (DH is a priest) so that would be fine for us but 2/3 of our parishioners have to drive over an hour to an hour and a half to church so we would see a massive drop in attendance. Probably they wouldn't be able to afford to keep the church going so we would be out of an income. My MIL is eight hours away and my parents are 12 hours away so we would probably never see them again unless someone moved (which we wouldn't be able to afford to do). The list goes on...

Wife to DH for 17 years, Mom to 4 girls (15, 13, 12 and 9 months), 2 boys (11, 7), and (13 wk mc 4/10/11), (13 week mc 12/12/11). (11 wk mc 6/25/14)
#30 of 61 Old 08-12-2013, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)

We couldn't afford to work.  DH is a professional gardener, and already keeping his truck running is a huge drain on our income.  Not only that, but we need 2 vehicles, because we need a family vehicle.  

To keep him working, he might have to keep a room in town during the weeks, and come home on the weekends.  That's assuming anyone could afford him because his profession is expendable.  I would have to stay home.  I'd say we should move closer to the city, but we have a really great community of people striving for a certain level of self-sufficiency.  

All extra-curricular activities would come to a screeching halt.

We could definitely use horsepower, but I don't know if we could afford to keep a horse or pony.

Pretty much for us, we could be totally screwed unless we had some time to adapt, if we could create a community, and I think where we are we have a community here that could really come together.  We could be self-sufficient for meat, if we could use some of the hay fields for potatoes and some grain.  That's assuming there is no additional pressure from outlying communities.  Are we talking about a fuel-induced Mad Max scenario?  I can't discount that possibility.  If things stay peaceful, we could adapt, if we had some time.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."

Tags
Mindful Home , Managing My Money Banking And Budgeting Basics , Family Budget Leads You Out Of Debt Save Money Mrr , Learning Resources Money Bags A Coin Value Game , Moneywise Kids , Baby Markets Money And The New Politics Of Creating Families

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page