dishwasher not washing/rinsing well - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-07-2013, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
A&A

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

How do I clean my dishwasher so that it will wash and rinse better?  It's a few years old.   (We usually clean the plates of excess food before putting them in the dishwasher.)

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#2 of 11 Old 08-07-2013, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
There was a time last year when I was convinced I either needed a repair man or a new dish washer, then I changed detergents and that worked wonders.
#3 of 11 Old 08-07-2013, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My current dishwasher has two filters that I clean out.  One is simple to remove and clean, the other is sort of a pain so I only do it when I have a problem with the dishwasher (I had to look up you tube instructions to do it the first time.).  I also dump vinegar in the dishwasher every time I use it.  The vinegar keeps the glasses from spotting or getting cloudy, I think it also helps clean the machine.

A tech once suggested I run Lime Away in the machine once a month.  But when I told him I used the vinegar with every wash he said I probably didn't need to use the Lime Away...so I've never used it.  But it might help to clean your dishwasher.

#4 of 11 Old 08-07-2013, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsam View Post

My current dishwasher has two filters that I clean out.  One is simple to remove and clean, the other is sort of a pain so I only do it when I have a problem with the dishwasher (I had to look up you tube instructions to do it the first time.).  I also dump vinegar in the dishwasher every time I use it.  The vinegar keeps the glasses from spotting or getting cloudy, I think it also helps clean the machine.

A tech once suggested I run Lime Away in the machine once a month.  But when I told him I used the vinegar with every wash he said I probably didn't need to use the Lime Away...so I've never used it.  But it might help to clean your dishwasher.

how much vinegar do you pour in?

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#5 of 11 Old 08-07-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post

how much vinegar do you pour in?

probably too much...I just dump it in the bottom but do not measure (and I do not use a rinse agent).  Probably 1/2-1 cup each time.  But my mom said she uses much less, like 1/4 cup, and it works well in her machine.

happilymomma2 likes this.
#6 of 11 Old 08-18-2013, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Every few months I pull out the bottom rack and disassemble the bottom inside. That removes 2 filters usually full of food bits and a drain thing. I wash them with hot water and vinegar to get the sediment off and then wipe out the bottom of the dishwasher. It's amazing how much better it works (for a bit).

I am totally going to try the vinegar in the bottom! I really don't want to use a rinse agent but when I don't, my glasses are cloudy and feel gritty with sediment. I tried baking soda for the wash ONCE and had to rinse and soak ALL the dishes in vinegar water to make them clean again! I've wanted to try Bronner's but am too chicken after the baking soda fiasco.

Good luck!
#7 of 11 Old 08-19-2013, 03:50 PM

Wanted to come back and give a shout out to dbsam! Vinegar in the dishwasher made my glasware sparkle! Silverware came out shiny and clean too and that doesn't always happen! Thanks for the tip! Had any luck A&A?
#8 of 11 Old 08-19-2013, 08:20 PM

Wanted to come back and give a shout out to dbsam! Vinegar in the dishwasher made my glasware sparkle! Silverware came out shiny and clean too and that doesn't always happen! Thanks for the tip! Had any luck A&A?
#9 of 11 Old 08-19-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happilymomma2 View Post

I'm so glad it worked for you.  Every dishwasher is different.  But, we've had three dishwashers in the twenty years we've been in this house and although I've had to switch detergents with each machine, the vinegar has always done a good job as a rinse agent. 

#10 of 11 Old 08-19-2013, 08:44 PM

I wonder if the vinegar keeps the whitish, mineral buildup off your heating coils? I didn't really notice it until now. Think the vinegar will disolve it over time?
#11 of 11 Old 08-19-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happilymomma2 View Post

I wonder if the vinegar keeps the whitish, mineral buildup off your heating coils? I didn't really notice it until now. Think the vinegar will disolve it over time?

I had to look at my dishwasher because I wasn't sure what coils you were speaking of.  We have no exposed coils...The inside of my dishwasher is all stainless except the plastic bottom. Nothing in my dishwasher has a whitish buildup...the walls, spray wands, filter, etc. It looks very clean inside.   (My last dishwasher was completely stainless inside and had no buildup either.  It had a 'food pulveriser' where this one has filters instead.)   I am not sure if it is the vinegar, the detergent or my water that keeps it buildup free. We're really lucky to have good water.

eta:  Didn't answer your question...I think the vinegar might dissolve the buildup over time.  It's worth a try. 

Tags
Mindful Home

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page