hardwood flooring - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-18-2013, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We want to get rid of the carpeting in the bedrooms and put in hardwood flooring.  I don't want anything that will offgas, etc.  My husband would like to get prefinished so that we get the rooms back earlier.  I seem to read contradictory advice, so saying that all solid prefinished will not offgas and some saying it will.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 08-26-2013, 09:33 AM

I think everything off gasses a bit. We just installed engineered hardwood downstairs - it's supposed to comply with California emmisons and it is green friendly made in the USA - glue use was low vocs. Anyway it was finished on fri and to me it does smell some. Doesn't overpower but it does smell. Thankfully it's downstairs and all our sleeping areas are up where there is no smell. I keep windows up at night.

People that have come say that they do smell a tiny bit but not like a chemical smell -pre like new wood. I have a nose like a bloodhound and I def smell it. Anyway I think most things that are new are going to smell - it is what it is. My plan is the opening of the windows when I can - keep the kids out of the house during the day and an air purifier. And when at home mostly being upstairs (at least kids)
#3 of 13 Old 08-27-2013, 08:17 AM

We have installed 4 hardwood floors, all solid tongue and groove style that was finished professionally after installation.

As I have always understood it, the one negative of the pre-finished floors is that you can't refinished them as often as solid floors.  The positive it, however, that the finishes are supposed to be better wearing.

I would think engineered floors would off gas more simply because there are more steps/chemicals used in the process.  Do you have a garage or covered area where you could let the product air out before the installation?

"new" wood can have an extremely strong smell.  I think it was our maple wood flooring that smelled of vomit until it was sanded and finished.

I hate carpet and love wood floors so I would pick wood and put the effort into keeping the rooms well ventilated for a while.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#4 of 13 Old 08-27-2013, 08:48 AM

Aren't the finishes on hardwoods installed at home fairly strong?
#5 of 13 Old 08-27-2013, 10:35 AM

Strong wearing or strong smelling?

I have no complaints over the durability of our finish.  We do not baby it at all.  The installer recommended a satin finish and I am pleased.  It isn't slippery and hides little scratches well.  My close friend has refinished her high gloss pre-engineered floors twice because she can't tolerate the slightest imperfection.

As it relates to smell, I don't think so.  Most, if not all, used now are water based.  The last floor we had put it was 3+ years ago and I don't  remember the smell being bad after a day or two and it was completely gone within days.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#6 of 13 Old 08-27-2013, 11:03 AM

I have had friends who had their floors stained in November - and no lie I still smell the smell.  It might have been the product used.  

I will say - my engineered floors are supposed to be carb compliant and very low voc.  I wonder if partly what I do smell is the wood itself.  It was installed on Fri - and I do smell it but most people are totally not bothered by it.  I am VERY VERY sensitive.  

I hate renovations with my ultrasonic nose.  I smell it all.  

#7 of 13 Old 08-27-2013, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
I did prefinished hardwood last year and didn't smell it at all.
#8 of 13 Old 08-29-2013, 01:19 PM

I can always smell any new wood installation, but it's a nice smell, yk? Not icky or chemical. We just put reclaimed wood in the bedroom and it's nice. My husband's a carpenter, and I've helped him install/seen him install unfinished wood floors, pre-finished wood floors, reclaimed wood floors . . . it all smells the same to me. Nice and . . . . woody. 

I guess that's not too helpful!

Barcino likes this.
#9 of 13 Old 08-29-2013, 10:41 PM

You know I think you are right - I smell EVERYTHING.  I guess I expected my house to smell totally like my house ...  I just smell new wood in my house.  People have commented it smells like new wood.  It is not chemical smelling, doesn't smell of adhesive, or offensive.  I just have a super sonic nose.  My husband says he doesn't smell anything just like fresh house - LOL.  Thanks for the reply that makes me feel better.   I know that the wood was carb compliant and the glue was leed certified and low voc.  I am going to just trust that it is ok and continue to keep the kids mostly up for a few more days and out and about like we have been.  Not like we have a choice.  House is going in the market anyway and I am guessing we are going to be out of the house a lot more anyway. 

#10 of 13 Old 08-29-2013, 10:43 PM

BTW as an example of how sensitive my nose is ...  DH painted a dime size touchup on my daughters room with a no voc paint and after a day I can still smell it.  I did not even know he had painted - I said hey smells like paint in here.  It's crazy - ugh.  shake.gif

#11 of 13 Old 08-30-2013, 07:40 PM

That's a pretty intense sniffer! :-)

I'm actually very fond of that wood smell, though of course one worries more if it's been treated. But I love splitting wood in winter, and I love the way my husband's workshop smells, and I love when we bring the firewood in for the cold weather and the whole house starts to smell of wood . . . mmmmmmm. 

OK, stopping now before I go even farther off topic. ;-)

#12 of 13 Old 09-08-2013, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies!!!  My noise is pretty sensitive too.  My husband painted the hallway downstairs with a no voc paint.  I smelled it for a week.  I had fans running to get rid of the odor.  I was looking at solid wood so I don't have to deal with glues.  I did go to a flooring store and got a sample of floor and it just smelled like wood to me.  I contacted the manufacturer and they said that they don't add vocs and there product doesn't offgas.  They said that they sell commercial and that you have to meet strict rules for commercial.  So I am thinking of going with that.

#13 of 13 Old 09-09-2013, 02:23 PM

My house finally doesn't smell - took about aweek and a half for it to go.  We did not get headaches or anything but I am sure there was some off gassing going on but it truly did smell like wood too - so who knows.  The stuff was pretty green and earth friendly so I hate to know what a brand new house smells like.  Of course my house sold in 2 days and now off to look for another one that hopefully will not need too much work and will smell good ;)  

Tags
Mindful Home

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page