I want my laudry to smell like 'something' - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-19-2013, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been using Nellie's Laundry Soda for the past two years on all of my family's laundry (including diapers) and I love that our clothes smell like 'nothing' - but I'm starting to miss the smell of 'something'.  

Any ideas of something to add a light scent to our laundry that won't effect our diapers? (No dryer sheets, commercial detergents) I was thinking a drop or two of essential oils, but figured they may wash out.  Any tips or ideas?

#2 of 5 Old 09-21-2013, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Could you add a drop of essential oil to the dryer?
mommamac likes this.
#3 of 5 Old 09-25-2013, 07:53 AM

I get lavender sachets for the dryer.  Mine are from Trader Joe's.  Each one lasts for several loads and when the are looking pretty worn, I sprinkle the leftover lavender buds on one of my rugs and vacuum it up.  The scent is subtle, but I don't care for the strong chemical smell of most detergents and fabric softeners....and it is fine for cloth diapers!

mommamac likes this.

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#4 of 5 Old 10-25-2013, 10:05 PM

I relate. I too covet the smell of "something," but haven't found a cheap/natural/healthy solution! Wouldn't it be awesome if all of the diapers and sweaters smelled like vanilla, or honey-cardomom, or pumpkin spice...................

#5 of 5 Old 10-28-2013, 04:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I used the same thing.  Nellie's is great for mixing scents in.  I mixed in fragrance oils.  About 20 drops to a whole tin (about 100 loads) Mostly because I have it on hand already.  You can use EO, too though you might need to put more drops in.  Mix well and let them sit for a bit, then mix some more.

If you don't mind you can also buy their dryer balls and they sell lavender sticks to put into the balls to scent your laundry.  I never tried that but the reviews are pretty good.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  

Tags
Mindful Home

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page