Confess: What non-green things do you use or buy for convenience? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-10-2013, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been moving from non-green to green for years, and a few things have been harder to give up due to convenience. I held onto Swiffer wet mop pads for longer than I should have - until my cat got sick from them. I also held onto JetDry dishwasher detergent until I found another dishwasher detergent I liked as well. I have tried to give up paper towels though and I just can't seem to stop feeling like I need them. I washed diapers for years so I know I can wash some rags. I am down to using only very few but I haven't been able to shake the paper towel habit.

Is there anything you haven't given up yet just because it's convenient? And does anyone have an idea to make rags feel more convenient for me?
#2 of 15 Old 10-10-2013, 10:27 AM

Horrible shower cleaner full of chemicals. I 'feel' like it cleans so much better than any other combo of vinegar, baking soda, soap, etc. I use white vinegar for the rest of the bathroom and kitchen, but can't seem to break using it despite its toxic smell.
mamazee likes this.
#3 of 15 Old 10-10-2013, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm right there with you on the paper towels, but I do *try* to use rags often too, as well as about a dozen odd socks that now have been moved to the drawer with rags lol. Then there's my gain laundry detergent, sunshine and sunflower, I can't help it, I'm addicted to that scent!
mamazee likes this.

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#4 of 15 Old 10-11-2013, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Paper towels hands down. I have my rags sure, but my husband is always buying them..and so I use them because they are THERE. They are seriously my biggest green-guilt thing, I need to get rid of them but I can't! It's an addiction! I can say honestly I've never bought them, it's all my husband who feeds my addiction ; ) I have been cutting up rags/old shirts/fabrics and have a ton...

mamazee likes this.

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#5 of 15 Old 10-11-2013, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
LMBO! Paper towel enabler!! I love it :-P
mamazee likes this.

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#6 of 15 Old 10-11-2013, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Lysol.  *hangs head in shame*  I love it.  It's my last non-green vice.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#7 of 15 Old 10-12-2013, 11:03 AM

I used to be SO good! I even used cloth pads and such. I'm awful now. I went to nursing school full time and that's when it all fell apart and I entered survival mode. Now I've been working for 2 years, and I'm just getting back into it slowly. 

My biggest vice is not a cleaning product-- it's my van. :o 

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#8 of 15 Old 10-14-2013, 07:44 AM

I used to make most of my own cleaning products but switched back to Windex because I just couldn't get the homemade version to work as well.

We still use Cascade/Jet Dry.  DH is in charge of nightly dinner clean up and he flat out refuses to budge.

We keep paper towels in the house but they are stored in an inconvenient spot and DH (who could run through a roll a day when left unsupervised) isn't motivated enough to go get a roll.  We use bar towels/rags for most cleaning but there are some things (bacon) where I will break out a couple of sheets.

I can't live without Bar Keeper's Friend to occasionally deep clean my pans.  I don't know where that falls on the green/not so green spectrum.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#9 of 15 Old 10-16-2013, 06:27 AM

I forgot something! We were using "green" dishwashing machine nuggets, but they weren't working...so we are back to our chemical filled ones! *hanging head in shame* I can't help it, something about crusty, gross dishes after I wasted all that water with the dishwasher running drives me bonkers..and they non-green ones work so well. 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#10 of 15 Old 10-22-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie023 View Post

Horrible shower cleaner full of chemicals. I 'feel' like it cleans so much better than any other combo of vinegar, baking soda, soap, etc. I use white vinegar for the rest of the bathroom and kitchen, but can't seem to break using it despite its toxic smell.

Yeah, here too. I use Dr. Bronner's for the soap scum (tub and walls), and that works OK with elbow grease, but our whole shower seems to get so mildewy, and nothing gets that stuff but hard-core chemicals. I hate it, but I hate shower mold even more! That's why I clean my shower so infrequently--to minimize the chemical use. Yeah. That's why. :Sheepish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LilChunklins View Post

I'm right there with you on the paper towels, but I do *try* to use rags often too, as well as about a dozen odd socks that now have been moved to the drawer with rags lol. Then there's my gain laundry detergent, sunshine and sunflower, I can't help it, I'm addicted to that scent!

I do buy paper towels, but I think we end up using maybe a roll per year. There are a few things I just can't find a green alternative for, like draining bacon, and sometimes a mess is just so gross or messy I can't bring myself to use rags--barf, for example, or like when I dropped an open bottle of olive oil and it splattered all over my kitchen. Paper towels all the way. I use disposable napkins at family gatherings too. Our napkins are too old and stained to use outside of the four of us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommariffic View Post

I forgot something! We were using "green" dishwashing machine nuggets, but they weren't working...so we are back to our chemical filled ones! *hanging head in shame* I can't help it, something about crusty, gross dishes after I wasted all that water with the dishwasher running drives me bonkers..and they non-green ones work so well. 

Yep, this was my first thought. I have tried SO MANY green dishwashing options, and nothing works for more than a few washes. The best I've managed to do is a green product every other wash, alternated with the Finish tablets. 

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#11 of 15 Old 10-26-2013, 05:23 AM

Adult incontinence products. I use the prescribed ones. First, because they are free, second, it is the only way to keep the issue private, third, it works much better. 

#12 of 15 Old 10-26-2013, 06:04 AM

We aren't anywhere close to 100% green, but I'd say the worst offender is disposable diapers and it's because I put my husband in charge of judging when the diapers need to be done and doing them. He is sometimes not as prompt as he could be and this leads to needing to use disposables because we ran out of cloth. 

We mostly use rags. Occasionally paper towels for something really nasty, or as substitute napkins when we don't have enough regular napkins. 

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#13 of 15 Old 11-20-2013, 05:17 PM

my husband loves paper towels so every once in a while I buy them as a treat for him, lol

mama to callum (april 8,07) and everett (sept 24,09) - blessed to be married to my life's love since '98. novaxnocirc.gif

#14 of 15 Old 11-22-2013, 02:28 PM

I have to confess that I use only disposable diapers. I used nearly all cloth with my older son, and was using cloth when my little guy was a baby, but I just couldn't keep it up once the nasty toddler poop started. I still have my old stash sitting in a bin at the edge of the living room, and sometimes he'll ask for "the blue diaper" or whatever happens to be on top, so I guess we're at about 99.9% of the time in disposables.

I also use the Clorox disinfectant wipes a lot more than I should; I really like them for the toilet area.

For soap scum, try a mixture of 1/2 white vinegar and 1/2 liquid dish soap (the instructions I read said to use blue Dawn, but I used some Seventh Generation I had on hand, and it worked just fine). Spray it on, let it sit for a while - half an hour up to several hours - and then wipe off. I swear that it worked miracles on my shower, which had resisted all the bleach and toxic chemicals I could throw at it. It doesn't do much for old mildew stains, but my soap scum is completely gone and it takes care of new mildew pretty well, I think.

#15 of 15 Old 11-22-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktarsha View Post

For soap scum, try a mixture of 1/2 white vinegar and 1/2 liquid dish soap (the instructions I read said to use blue Dawn, but I used some Seventh Generation I had on hand, and it worked just fine). Spray it on, let it sit for a while - half an hour up to several hours - and then wipe off. I swear that it worked miracles on my shower, which had resisted all the bleach and toxic chemicals I could throw at it. It doesn't do much for old mildew stains, but my soap scum is completely gone and it takes care of new mildew pretty well, I think.

Thanks for this, I'll try it. I do use Dr. Bronner's for the soap scum, but it takes more elbow grease than I really enjoy giving it!

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)

Tags
Mindful Home

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page