Great gift wrap ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 12-09-2013, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My family has a gift bag shuffle thing going on. We don't care what the bag was originally given for - we reuse it for anything. So I might get a baby shower bag, a wedding bag, a birthday bag, anything used for a Christmas present. It's our own little tradition.

But I like the idea of using usable gifty items as presents too. Like a dishtowel, or a tablecloth, etc.

What do you use as gift wrap?
HappyHappyMommy and Monica S like this.
#2 of 18 Old 12-09-2013, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We use wrapping paper, tissue paper, and gift bags. I've thought about using brown paper bags and letting DS stamp patterns on.

I like the idea of re-using gift wrap, but I've never made much of an effort.

Monica S likes this.

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#3 of 18 Old 12-11-2013, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I found this book on Amazon called "Furoshiki Fabric Wraps"

and bought a bunch of scarves and holiday pillowcases from the thrift store last year. I wrapped everyone's presents in those, and have them again this year to re-use.

My MIL buys new boxes and gift wrap every single year and it drives me absolutely nuts seeing the wasted paper!

#4 of 18 Old 12-11-2013, 01:10 PM

I have a roll of freezer paper (the plastic-backed kind) that I bought for my 3 yr old son to paint on. Probably not the most environmentally friendly thing, but great because the paint doesn't make the paper soggy and I can tear off a huge piece and let him go nuts. Anyway, the finished paintings make great gift wrap. He loves to drive his toy trucks through the paint and leave tracks, or roll through puddles of paint with a rolling pin (aka a piece of pvc pipe or wooden dowel, not my good rolling pin!), or use the bottom of cans or bottles as stamps. I can have him use whatever color fits the occasion and he stays busy for a good half-hour and then we have gift wrap that grandma wants to frame!
delightedbutterfly likes this.
#5 of 18 Old 12-11-2013, 02:15 PM

For smaller presents: bed sheet and pillowcase fabric bags. Ikea and Target sell some of their pillowcases in cute fabric bags made of the same fabric as the actual pillowcases. They make such adorable present wrapping. 

delightedbutterfly likes this.
#6 of 18 Old 12-11-2013, 02:18 PM

Or what about these reusable fabric gift wrapping kits? (They are more expensive, I know... but oh, how pretty...) 

http://www.etsy.com/shop/happywrap?page=1

#7 of 18 Old 12-11-2013, 07:21 PM

Whenever we paint on large pieces of paper with Do A Dot Art Markers (& random brushes too), I put them to the side and use them for wrapping paper along with some hemp string. They're always unique.

mamazee and HappyHappyMommy like this.

Joyfully married to my luv (6/7/09) blowkiss.gif / Early loss at 11w3d w/ Minerva (6/23/10) angel1.gif / Beautiful breech homebirth.jpg w/ Aurora Jan (5/29/11) / Due with our son in April 2014
#8 of 18 Old 12-12-2013, 04:51 AM

In our home, we rarely every buy gift wrapping paper or boxes. I reuse whatever we have on hand. Sometimes it's gift wrapping saved up from a present we got, sometimes it's a brown paper bag and sometimes it's just plain white paper.

I just jazz it up creating some kind of design on it. I created this bunting gift wrap using plain white paper and sketch pens.

#9 of 18 Old 12-12-2013, 10:48 AM

I use the brown packing paper that comes in my amazon boxes (they often use such inefficient packaging that there is TONS). And I've been using the same fabric ribbons for 4 years now. This year we're also using yarn and string to tie them. 

#10 of 18 Old 12-14-2013, 05:28 AM

I like using the classifieds section of the newspaper - (small print & pattern) and tie a red string & bow around it.

Comics work well too.

Brown paper and stamps.

But this year I bought wrapping paper for a change.

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#11 of 18 Old 12-16-2013, 10:03 PM

I've always done wrapping paper, but this year, I am using brown paper bags, tied with twine and pine cones.

HappyHappyMommy likes this.
#12 of 18 Old 12-18-2013, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

We reuse wrapping paper and paper gift bags, but most of our gifts exchanged within the family go in cloth gift bags.  We made some 10 years ago by buying holiday fabric on sale in January and sewing some simple bags in various sizes.  Just put in the gift and either bunch up the top and tie a ribbon around it, or fold over the end and tie a ribbon around the whole gift.  You can snip a hole in the gift tag and slide it onto the ribbon before tying.

Several of my relatives liked the idea so much that they made their own bags, and now we trade them around every year!

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#13 of 18 Old 12-18-2013, 06:31 PM

I did the same thing and made a bunch of fabric bags that get passed back and forth, works great and dont get torn or crushed on the long trip over the river and through the woods to grandma's house :)  Growing up we saved all our wrapping paper, carefully unwrapping each gift.  My family is still reusing pieces of paper from 20+ Christmases ago...it is kinda of nostalgic to see the paper again, I have my favorites!  I ended up with an outrageous amount of tissues paper from my baby shower, I am going to be 100 by the time I get through that pile....for a friends shower we asked guests to "go green" and use creative alternatives to wrapping paper, the gifts were "wrapped" lovely and so unique....oh dear, I digress...

#14 of 18 Old 12-18-2013, 09:24 PM

My grandmother was a great user of newspaper, but we don't get a newspaper, so that's not an option for us.

We re-use gift bags and boxes from things we've received, and we save the plain white/unbleached/kraft packing paper from things we order for smalls to paint/stamp/draw on to make wrapping paper, but mostly, we use the set of fabric drawstring bags my mother and I have made.  My mom's are all specific to Christmas, but the ones I've made are general-- whenever I have a fat quarter to 1/2 yard of fabric with a cute print that I don't have any other use for, I make a new bag.  The ones I make are double-drawstring, too, so they get used for all kinds of things besides gift wrapping-- knitting project bags, overnight bags for our kids, toiletry bags for long trips, stuff sacks for fiber batts, laundry bags for delicate items, etc.  We also have a stash of those free tote bags that seem to come home from every symposium and conference that normally see duty as grocery bags but work the holiday shift as wrapping when the need arises.  I also folded a bunch of origami boxes of various sizes a few years ago that we use every year.

We've only bought wrapping paper once, and it was many years ago...I'm glad not to have it cluttering my to-do list and my studio closet!

#15 of 18 Old 12-19-2013, 12:41 PM

Love your post! I have been collecting thrift store and flea market fabric (often large printed cotton shirts, like hawaiin shirts, etc.) and silk scarves for this purpose. I cut out well-sized squares or circles for the gifts with pinking sheers, then tie them with pretty ribbon or nice chunky yarn. Sometimes the receiver just gives me back the wrapping, admitting they'll not know what to do with it. That's just fine by me, though I wish to spread the idea. :)

I've seen reusable gift wrapping packages and bags at Whole Foods in the past that have a little area to record the giver and receiver over time, like a library book card. I love the idea of receiving something with a list of other people who have received gifts before me and remember all the generosity flowing out in the world. :)

~ Heather

#16 of 18 Old 12-24-2013, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

#17 of 18 Old 12-25-2013, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

I love the idea of making fabric gifts bags, and picking up Christmas fabric on sale after the holidays! We do buy some wrapping paper (it's just so much fun to watch little kids tear open gifts) but mostly I like gifts bags, which we reuse. I also reuse gift boxes and fabric ribbon. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#18 of 18 Old 12-27-2013, 06:53 PM

We use old pillow-cases to wrap gifts - no need to buy or make anything. Just put the thing in the pillow -case & wrap around. Post-it not w/ a bit of tape to identify giver and receiver. I also save & re-use boxes that others send to us as gifts.

Tags
Mindful Home

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page