Agonizing over Christmas gifts for kids!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-12-2013, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How do we balance the idea of having a fun and happy Christmas, full of magic and wonder while at the same time having a conscious Christmas? I found this fairly easy in the past, but now that DS1 is 7, I'm find it is a whole new ball game! I can't figure out how to balance kids' expectations ('cause let's face it, they have them!) with our concerns over consumerism? I am just really worried that he will be disappointed, and I really want this to be a special Christmas (probably the last one he'll believe in Santa)...

Seriously, I am agonizing over this. Any tips? We are already a conscientious family. He knows a lot of toys are made in sweat shop conditions. We discuss how sometimes we have to make tough choices in life to make this world a better place for everyone, not just for ourselves ... sigh. Is that expecting too much of a 7 year old? 

Any great ideas gift ideas for 7 year old boys that can stay on the consumer consciousness train?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 12-12-2013, 10:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Not specific gifts but can you get anything secondhand? Sometimes the stuff is still in very good condition and you aren't adding to the total mass of stuff.

Or, would he appreciate "experience" gifts? Like an annual pass to a zoo or museum?

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 3 Old 12-13-2013, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is what I am stressing out over as well!  I recently read this blog post: http://www.livingwellspendingless.com/2012/09/14/why-i-took-all-my-kids-toys-away-why-they-wont-get-them-back/

It has really inspired me to want to put away a ton of toys as I realize how toy obsessed my kids are.  I'm still not sure what to do about Christmas though because it would be drastic to change everything so soon before the holiday.

Tags
Mindful Home

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page