Who does the dishes in your house? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 01-07-2014, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I was doing the dishes this morning and it got me to wondering. I have a friend who came over and did a ton of dishes for me, but otherwise it is only me.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#2 of 27 Old 01-07-2014, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Only me.. some times my DH puts them in a nice stack for me :-) also my toddler likes to unload the flatware and tupperware from the dishwasher.
LLQ1011 likes this.
#3 of 27 Old 01-07-2014, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, toddler help, lol.

I love your location @Bruebee! I think were in next door neighborhoods!

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#4 of 27 Old 01-07-2014, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
DH and I both do. Since I'm the one here after breakfast and lunch (on weekdays), I clean up those dishes. And since I usually cook dinner, DH typically cleans up the dinner dishes. The kids are starting to scrape their plates and load them into the dishwasher sometimes.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#5 of 27 Old 01-08-2014, 12:52 PM

7 yo DS empties the dishwasher with 3 yo DD's "help". We do the sharp knives and stuff that they can't reach. If DS isn't home, DH empties the dishwasher. If it's just me and DD, I do it. I usually load the dishwasher, but only cuz I'm picky and I have others unload it. Sometimes DH loads the dishwasher. DH and I scrub out the cast iron (whoever gets to it first), and DH will actually wash dishes by hand if he sees it necessary. I never see it necessary :wink

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#6 of 27 Old 01-08-2014, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
We don't have a dishwasher, its all the old fashioned way. I do pots, pans, glass and sharp knives. DD is 8 she does all silverware, and plastic cups, bowls, and plates.
I personally love DD's help, she's old enough now that she does a pretty good job and it saves me a lot of time!

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#7 of 27 Old 01-08-2014, 01:24 PM

My DS (8) unloads the dishwasher, and I'm usually the one who loads it again. But DH tends to step in and do it if something has come for me (illness, depression, overly busy, etc). I feel like it's a good balance for our family. 

aknit.gif trekkie.gif mama to DS reading.gif and DD energy.gif autismribbon.gif  

#8 of 27 Old 01-08-2014, 01:56 PM

Hopefully I won't get any hate mail, but I have to brag about my awesome DH. He does the dishes every morning before work, and no, we don't have a dishwasher. So unless things are really getting backed up and I can't cook, I just leave things for him to wash the next morning. It's been this way for so many years that I often forget how lucky I am, but I really am grateful, especially being pregnant and dealing with a 2yr old. That being said, the few times he's gone out of town I've cleaned up after myself right away and it does feel really nice to have everything put away and clean after a meal. I guess that's the tradeoff. Ah my Southern Gentleman :blowkiss ...DD likes to help him on occasion as well.

Joyfully married to my luv (6/7/09) blowkiss.gif / Early loss at 11w3d w/ Minerva (6/23/10) angel1.gif / Beautiful breech homebirth.jpg w/ Aurora Jan (5/29/11) / Due with our son in April 2014
#9 of 27 Old 01-09-2014, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

We use our dishwasher all the time.  DH does the pots and pans.  It was actually one of the factors in his favor when we were dating. :D I always hated doing dishes and he would do them for me.  It's among my most hated chores (the other one being mopping).  I love doing laundry however, including hand washing stuff in the sink.  I can't explain why I love that and hate dishes.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#10 of 27 Old 01-09-2014, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I do it most of the time. We have a dishwasher which we put things in throughout the day. Anything which can't go in gets stacked on the bench next to the sink. After dinner, DH baths the girls and I finish stacking the dishwasher, do the hand washing, wipe the table etc. he would do it, and sometimes does, but I'd rather do it and have a break from the kids after having them all day.

He usually washes the pot he uses to make porridge for himself and DD1 in the morning . I'd do it but he says he feels bad leaving it for me.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#11 of 27 Old 01-09-2014, 11:10 PM

We dont have a dishwasher, my husband does he dishes everytime. He is disabled and cannot work so it makes him feel good to take care of the house as much as possible with doing what he can do anyways - he's pretty much a tidy freak! I wouldnt say clean freak though... But he does do most of the housework - definitely dishes, cooking and laundry everytime anyways <3

#12 of 27 Old 01-10-2014, 05:56 AM

I do the majority of the dish loading/washing in our home. DH occasionally does a load and for about a month back in the fall, my 5yo DS learned how to load the dishwasher. He did every load until I felt like he had it down pat. I got a bit tired of how long he would take and how much water was everywhere. (There was more playing in the water than dish loading.) He still occasionally will load the dishwasher, but he does the vast majority of the unloading. We moved most of the dishes to a lower cabinet so he can reach them. DH or I will put away the few things DS cannot reach and the sharp knives.

Steph, Mama to Alex (04/08) We :::
#13 of 27 Old 01-11-2014, 01:52 PM

I do them in our house usually with dd 7 months strapped to my back. If I don't do them which is more common, they pile up, like "there is no counter space, every dish is used, finger food tonight" pile up. It gets bad around here. I should be more embarrassed than I am about it. I'm trying to rewire myself to like dishes, it's not working. In fact I should be doing some now, the pile is growing. I suppose I'll tryt to thwart its attempt to take over the kitchen. Hooray for dishes. :/

Crystal Marie
Aspire to decency. Practice civility toward one another. Admire and emulate ethical behavior wherever you find it. Apply a rigid standard of morality to your lives; and if, periodically, you fail – as you surely will – adjust your lives, not the standards.

#14 of 27 Old 01-11-2014, 09:52 PM

DS 10 does them. It is his chore...that and taking out the garbage.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#15 of 27 Old 01-12-2014, 06:47 PM

My husband and I pretty much split doing the dishwasher (with toddler help).  But I am the only one who washes hand dishes.  Lately I've been trying to stay on top of keeping the table and counters clean.  I've noticed that when I do this he always seems to take care of the dishwasher.

Working mom and grad student with a weird husband, a few cats, and a nifty kid!   Anton, born 8/9/11 jog.gif

#16 of 27 Old 01-12-2014, 08:50 PM

When we were a dual working family, we split the dishes pretty evenly. Now that I am a SAHM, i do about 3/4 of the housework and care for the baby. He helps with child care a lot though.

Writing about life-long learning and discovery at: www.neoapprentice.com 

:: A neo-apprentice knows there are no true masters. 

25yo FTM to a Wiggle Panda diaper.gif, student teacher read.gif, newlywed love.gif 

#17 of 27 Old 01-13-2014, 09:47 AM

We all do the dishes!

~*Have more than you show, speak less than you know*~

#18 of 27 Old 01-13-2014, 10:26 AM

Just started having the boys (6 and 3) help with the dishes again. They empty the dishwasher together and everyone is responsible for getting their own dishes into the dishwasher. I do any other daytime dishes and my husband does the nightly round up (which is usually pretty minimal if we haven't slacked during the day :eyesroll).

#19 of 27 Old 01-13-2014, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I have always hated washing dishes, but I've gotten much better at pulling my weight. My wife does all the cooking so I try to wash dishes as much as I can. I get home before she does so I hang out with the baby until she gets home. I don't like to do dishes when I can be playing with him. I will wash when he is asleep or otherwise occupied. I also put dishes in the dishwasher all the time and I unload it when I can as well. I wish everything could go in the dishwasher! Can't wait to teach the babe how to wash dishes when he is old enough. smile.gif

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#20 of 27 Old 01-13-2014, 01:05 PM

DH and I both do and DS sometimes like to help too.

wash.gifMommy to my little Nugget bouncy.gifribboncesarean.gif 

144/2014 items decluttered   2/52 projects completed

#21 of 27 Old 01-13-2014, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

DH does all the dishes.  I am a good cook and that is a powerful position in my house! 

From very early on, I made it clear that having a dirty kitchen thwarts my cooking and baking enthusiasm, especially if all my energy goes to clean up.  He loves food, so this he takes care of it totally!

pokeyac likes this.
#22 of 27 Old 01-14-2014, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Our agreement when we started living together 18 years ago was that I would wash and he would dry. It worked fine and was our "meeting time" to discuss household and relationship issues. But after 6 years we moved to this house, where the shape of the smallish kitchen makes it impossible for someone to stand next to the dish drainer drying while someone else is standing in front of the sink--so now I wash the dishes and stack in the drainer, and later when they are dry he puts them away. (Now we have to do "meeting time" separately, and it is difficult to remember!)

We got a dishwasher 2 years ago. Everyone puts in their dishes after use. When it is getting pretty full (takes 3-4 days) I round up all "gently used" dishes to fill in the gaps. Then I run the water until hot, fill the sink with hot soapy water, start the dishwasher (preheating its water saves energy, says my brother the home energy auditor), and hand wash the things that don't go in the dishwasher: most plastics, a few fragile things, and pots with stuff really stuck on them. Next day, my partner puts away the dishes from the drainer, then empties the dishwasher and puts anything that is still wet in the drainer. If 9yo is around, he likes to put away the silverware.

My partner also is responsible for cleaning our cast iron skillets when they have been used, because that is a separate process using coffee grounds and no soap. After years of annoyance about stains from drying cast iron with the white dish towels, I remembered that we had some black waffle weave cloth napkins; they are now the skillet drying towels!

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#23 of 27 Old 01-14-2014, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I love our dishwasher. I could live w/o a lot of things, but I really love the dishwasher. 

We all do the dishes. DH and I do them more than the kids, but the kids are okay about bussing their dishes after a meal or snack and putting them in the dishwasher. We usually are able to run the dishwasher at night after supper. Then we wake up in the morning to a dishwasher full of clean dishes. Sometimes DH empties it if he has time in the morning, and sometimes I do it after dropping the kids off at school. Then breakfast dishes get loaded. After the kids get home from school their lunch bags are unloaded into the dishwasher. Then the supper dishes after we eat. I try to load the cooking dishes as I go along (I cook supper) and DH usually loads the plates after supper. 

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#24 of 27 Old 01-21-2014, 03:14 PM

My husband does dishes (by hand) and makes dinner every night when he gets home. I sometimes manage to do a few during the day if I can get a moment where I can safely turn my back to the room to do this. (Not usually though). 

Welcomed a baby boy in March 2013
#25 of 27 Old 01-24-2014, 09:26 AM

My dh is technically in charge of loading the dishwasher. However, I help him out, and I typically do all of the hand washing. I always intend to do a better job of loading throughout the day, and we really need to get our kids involved with this more.

Mom to: Honey (6/04) and Bunny (9/09)
#26 of 27 Old 02-09-2014, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
No dishwasher here either....LOL I do them myself..
#27 of 27 Old 02-12-2014, 01:44 PM

DH and I both do dishes and we do not have a dishwasher. He is out of the home more than myself so I would say it probably ends up being 65/35.

Sometimes in the evening after dinner I really enjoy dish washing. DH is in charge of the kiddos and I put on some music and have some me time while I wash.

Tags
Mindful Home

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page