West Virginia water Crisis - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-22-2014, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello

I am a new member here on mothering.com. I used to subscribe to mothering for YEARS and was distraught when they stopped the periodicals. I used to love them!!! I still have my old copies. Either way, I hesitated about joining the website. I haven't had the greatest experiences in the past with forums and things, but I think this may be more like-minded individuals for me to connect with. Either way, this is my first posting and I am writing about the West Virginia water crisis. I live here in Charleston, West Virginia and am enduring the crisis. Needless to say, I've been forced into living without running water for who knows how long. I saw some older postings about techniques to survive without running water and was just wanting to see if anyone else had been through something like this, or could give me some advice.

and oh by the way, I am 32 years old, a journalist, and a mother of four (preggo with number 5). I also have two bonus daughters from my fiancé's first marriage, but they only live with us part time. So, technically, in June we will be parents of seven! So excited to meet all of you and hear what amazing advice you may have to give me. :-)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 02-18-2014, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

Welcome MountainMist! So glad to have you join the community! I think you'll like it around here once you get a feel for the place and the get to know the members a bit more. Definitely join your Due Date Club

#3 of 4 Old 02-28-2014, 11:37 AM

Welcome to the forum. I live in Kentucky, near Lexington. Coincidentally, just a few days ago I saw a flier at the natural foods co-op about the West Virginia water crisis. You may have already thought of this, but have you considered implementing a system of rain barrels? Do you have a way of having 5 gallon bottles of spring water delivered to your home? Just some ideas off the top of my head.

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#4 of 4 Old 02-28-2014, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Hey NettleTea,

There is a whole coalition here of people doing the rain barrel thing, using both elaborate and simple systems. The simple systems seem to be the most likely for myself as the elaborate systems are very intricate, and time consuming, not to mention expensive. The home delivery of water is a bit too expensive for me also, unfortunately. 

Tags
Mindful Home

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page