Mothering Forum banner

How do you keep the take-off-your-shoes area clean and dry?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  pumabearclan 
#1 ·
I got some rugs that ended up staining my floor from the yucky rubber bottom. So I'm throwing away my rugs and wondering how do I come in the door, put shoes in closet without bringing in dig poop (bad neighbor!), or parking lot stain grease into my house. And now rhat I think of the closet, I dont know what I'll do when my baby can open that door too . ..one step at time.. Tell me your system. And please dont say the dirt cant hurt because they spray a lot here and the soil is poisoned. On top of that I don't know how to clean the floor because landlord says on squirting jetmops , which dont clean and stink. I just want to get a steamer. Tell me I can! I have fake wood-laminate? , and vinyl tiles.

#2 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by here we are View Post

I got some rugs that ended up staining my floor from the yucky rubber bottom. So I'm throwing away my rugs and wondering how do I come in the door, put shoes in closet without bringing in dig poop (bad neighbor!), or parking lot stain grease into my house. And now rhat I think of the closet, I dont know what I'll do when my baby can open that door too . ..one step at time.. Tell me your system. And please dont say the dirt cant hurt because they spray a lot here and the soil is poisoned. On top of that I don't know how to clean the floor because landlord says on squirting jetmops , which dont clean and stink. I just want to get a steamer. Tell me I can! I have fake wood-laminate? , and vinyl tiles.
You would have to leave your shoes outside the front door. Otherwise I have found it impossible to keep it spotless - that's what the rugs are for - to grab the mess and at least keep it there.

#3 ·
Here's what we do (the only time I have a speck of dirt in my foyer is when we have company that doesn't know the procedure, or maybe if my dog brings it in):

I have an "astro-turfy" looking doormat which does a great job of getting loose dirt off the shoes. We scrub our shoes outside the door and then remove one shoe, step in, remove the other, step in. Then we put the shoes away without them touching the floor. Nine times out of ten we come in through the garage, where I have a show rack hanging on the back of the door in the mudroom. When we come in the front, we have to carry them to the rack or closet.

It's obsessive but I do love a clean floor! Oh, and I use my Oreck to vacuum (NEVER sweep) and then a Sh-Mop kinda thingy to wash...I wet the mop cover, pour out a bit of plain white vinegar, and scrub away. I mop no more than once a week-10 days but I do spot wipe spills.

#8 · (Edited)
It's obsessive but I do love a clean floor!
I'm a floor fanatic myself :)

We have sisel-ish or berber indoor-outdoor carpets (4x6 or larger) at each door. I don't use rugs that have a rubber back for the deterioration problem; typically I go to the flooring store & have them bind high quality remnants to the size I need. The back I look for is felted. Every 1-2 months I will hose off these rugs & mop the floors underneath. I cut plastic dropcloth for underneath the mats to protect the floor from wet staining.

#4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post

Here's what we do (the only time I have a speck of dirt in my foyer is when we have company that doesn't know the procedure, or maybe if my dog brings it in):

I have an "astro-turfy" looking doormat which does a great job of getting loose dirt off the shoes. We scrub our shoes outside the door and then remove one shoe, step in, remove the other, step in. Then we put the shoes away without them touching the floor. Nine times out of ten we come in through the garage, where I have a show rack hanging on the back of the door in the mudroom. When we come in the front, we have to carry them to the rack or closet.

It's obsessive but I do love a clean floor! Oh, and I use my Oreck to vacuum (NEVER sweep) and then a Sh-Mop kinda thingy to wash...I wet the mop cover, pour out a bit of plain white vinegar, and scrub away. I mop no more than once a week-10 days but I do spot wipe spills.
I'm all for obsessions ;-). I dont know if this would be strange at my apt, but we do have our heads covered by a little roof, if theres more than one of us though we'd have to go sideways. ..or if I'm babywearing might lose my balance. ..? ...Maybe I could leave stuff on the covered porch and get it after. How do u bring in groceries and stuff- being so obessive
smile.gif
? I doubt my partner is going to like this plan, he is always blasting thru the door at full speed :/.
Is Sh Mop what its called? I need one that doesn't get too wet. And my landlord even says no vinegar. Maybe I should just ignore it because they're being overly paranoid? I NEED to get my floor washed asap. So tired of feeling like its dirty for my crawler. I feel desperate for a plan, I MUST do this.Writing it out helps.

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by swede View Post

You would have to leave your shoes outside the front door. Otherwise I have found it impossible to keep it spotless - that's what the rugs are for - to grab the mess and at least keep it there.
Yes true. My rug smelled as I carried it to throw out. I want another type of rug next time. What do people do, replace them often? The rubber backing is so gross.

#6 ·
I don't have an entry rug anymore, but when I did I always used one I could toss in the washing machine. Once a week when I mop the floor and deep clean I washed the rugs too. Where we live it's really wet and muddy most of the year, and this worked well for us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.