Mothering Forum banner

Please share recipes for a homemade all purpose cleaner!

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  PriyaIndian 
#1 ·
I really want to start making my own all purpose cleaners . Something to clean the kitchen counters as well as the bathrooms.... I need help finding a mix that works, if you have a cleaner that works, please share an exact recipe, ratios, etc. Thank you so much in advance!!!!

#2 ·
I've been wanting to do the same, so I was on Amazon the other day searching through their books and I found "Natural Cleaning Recipes: Master the Art of Natural and Organic Cleaning" by Aubrey Azzaro .. at the time, the kindle version was on sale for $0.00... I couldn't believe it so I grabbed it while it was free. Now I'm seeing it's $2.99 but I'd say it's definitely worth it.. it's packed with natural recipes for cleaning your entire house, and none of them are expensive to make. I have yet to try any of the recipes (as of now I use Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap for everything) but ALL of the reviews were good, from people who had tried out the recipes and found that making their own cleaning products was cheap and simple. :) I hope it helps you too!

#3 ·
She lists so many tips for natural cleaning, and includes numerous recipes for cleaning every room and household item, including bathroom and sink scrubs, natural disinfectants, all purpose cleaners, clog removers, laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, kitchen cleaners, ALL sorts of stain removers... the list goes on and on. But since you asked for specific recipes on this thread I thought it'd be rude not to post at least one...

Here's one of her all purpose cleaner recipes:

2 cups water

1 cup hydrogen peroxide

1/4 cup lemon juice

* Mix all ingredients, adjust the quantity as per your requirements. Hydrogen peroxide is a principal cleaner. It is odorless liquid and hence, it is commonly applied on open wounds as well with pets and children. Hydrogen Peroxide has strong cleaning capabilities as compared to vinegar and works much more like bleach, without harming the environment and health. You can incorporate hydrogen peroxide into your laundry water, to whiten them. Whilst, the acidic lemon juice would remove the grime and add an extra fresh citrus scent. Water aids to dilute the mixture and hence, it is a great all-purpose natural cleaner.

and an All Purpose Spray:

("Engross in this all-purpose spray to clean sinks, bath tubs, floors, toilets, and countertops for clean, neat, polished experience.")

1 cup white vinegar

1 tablespoon castile soap

2 cups water

2-3 drops essential oil (your taste and choice.. different oils have different cleaning properties)

* Mix all ingredients in a spray bottle. Drizzle and sprinkle on the affected areas of your concern. The vinegar would enable to eradicate mildew and mold, owing to its anti-bacterial properties (especially when added with tea tree oil, which also has antibacterial/antifungal properties).

#4 ·
My main cleaner works really well for most things, especially hard surfaces (counters, mirrors, hardwood floors). It's just one part white vinegar to two parts water and I add a few drops of tea tree oil. I make it up in a spray bottle and use it for just about everything. I tried using lemon juice in a cleaning solution and found it left a residue behind, so I stick with oils for that "clean smell".
For cleaning stubborn things on soft surfaces (cat vomit on the couch) or for removing stains I use Biokleen Bac-out watered down 1:2, also in a spray bottle.
I just started making my own liquid laundry soap too, and it works really well. 3 Tbs each of baking soda, borax and Bronners liquid castile soap mixed with a gallon of water. I use 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup per load. The clothes (even diapers) come out clean and neither of my sensitive skin kiddos have reacted to it.
I also make my own body/face lotion and hair lightening detangler spray. Let me know if you want the recipes. I find that pretty much anything can be cleaned with white vinegar, baking soda, Bronners or Bac-out. I just keep those on hand and it's sooo much cheaper than buying separate cleaners for everything. Plus I feel good about not having nasty chemicals around my family.
smile.gif

#10 ·
Bathrooms?

My main cleaner works really well for most things, especially hard surfaces (counters, mirrors, hardwood floors). It's just one part white vinegar to two parts water and I add a few drops of tea tree oil. I make it up in a spray bottle and use it for just about everything. I tried using lemon juice in a cleaning solution and found it left a residue behind, so I stick with oils for that "clean smell".
For cleaning stubborn things on soft surfaces (cat vomit on the couch) or for removing stains I use Biokleen Bac-out watered down 1:2, also in a spray bottle.
I just started making my own liquid laundry soap too, and it works really well. 3 Tbs each of baking soda, borax and Bronners liquid castile soap mixed with a gallon of water. I use 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup per load. The clothes (even diapers) come out clean and neither of my sensitive skin kiddos have reacted to it.
I also make my own body/face lotion and hair lightening detangler spray. Let me know if you want the recipes. I find that pretty much anything can be cleaned with white vinegar, baking soda, Bronners or Bac-out. I just keep those on hand and it's sooo much cheaper than buying separate cleaners for everything. Plus I feel good about not having nasty chemicals around my family.
Do you also clean bathrooms with vinegar? I am concerned about vinegar not disinfecting properly...

#5 ·
I just use a bit of dr bronners tea tree soap in our laundry, and it works by itself.. I'm afraid to add anything else to it (like borax) when it already works so well.. Sometimes I add essential oil to the laundry load as well, for added aroma.
I wondered about adding lemon juice, but with the hydrogen peroxide and diluted in water I thought it was worth a try.. I've cleaned with lemon peels in the kitchen before and it worked for grease spots..
I'm planning on cleaning up an old pet stain in this new rental house with vinegar, water, and tea tree oil.. It's on wood floors so I thought about subbing olive oil for water BUT I really want to get it clean... Suggestions?
I'd love to hear your recipes for the hair lightening detangler and lotions!! I'm getting beeswax soon to make candles and I was thinking of using the leftovers to add into lotions and lip balms too..
wink1.gif

#6 ·
I'm sure Bronners works fine on its own for most things. You may find it needs a boost when you have kid messes to deal with though. Poopy diapers, mud, grass stains, etc. you'd be amazed how much mess such little people can make.
smile.gif

For your floor, I would need to know more to be truly helpful. If it is really wood that is stained (the wood is discolored from absorbing something, but now dry) I don't think there is much you can do short of refinishing it. Which is not difficult, but is time consuming and can be expensive. If it is stinky I would use vinegar or Bac-out on it, otherwise just clean it the same as the rest of the floor. Oil and/or wax are great for polishing clean wood floors, but not so much for cleaning them. If I had hardwood floors again (someday!) I would sweep or vacuum, mop with diluted white vinegar, then polish with a blend of beeswax and orange oil. The polishing only needs doing 2-4 times a year though, unless you're super hard on your floors.

As far as cleaning with lemon; when using the juice you are using the acid as a cleaning agent, same as with vinegar, but there is also fructose in the juice which can leave a sticky residue. That's why I prefer using vinegar, it has the acid but not the sugar. When cleaning with lemon peel, it's not the acid but the solvent properties of the oil you are using. It will cut grease and dissolve other stubborn substances, but doesn't have the acid or sugar that is in the juice. Be cautious about getting it on your skin though, too much exposure can actually cause thinning of the skin and potentially sores.

My detangler spray is one I started making for my daughter, she has long hair and a tender head. She likes to highlight the red tones in her hair, so I added chamomile and lemon which both lighten hair especially when exposed to sun. If you want to detangle without lightening just replace the chamomile with water and omit the lemon oil. I also add lavender oil because it smells nice and deters lice. It won't get rid of an active infestation, but will discourage them from colonizing your head in the first place. My DD made it through many classroom lice infestations while she was in school and never got any.
smile.gif

Apple cider vinegar, 1 cup
Chamomile tea, 1 cup (steep for at least one hour, up to one day)
Lemon oil, up to 1/4 tsp (as much as you like really for fragrance and lightening, but not more than 1/4 tsp)
Lavender oil, 6-12 drops

Spray on dry hair until slightly damp, comb through. Repeat as needed.

My lotion is pretty all purpose. I use it on my face and body, so does DD. it's also good for baby bums, sore nipples and treating cradle cap. I have heard that can use cocoa butter or Shea butter instead of coconut oil, but haven't tried that. I have replaced the almond oil with olive oil and it works fine, though it comes out kind of yellow. It smells great on its own, but you can add just about any EO you want for fragrance. My favorite is orange and clove, though I can't use that one on the baby.

3/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup almond oil
Melt coconut oil (doesn't take much, it melts at 76 degrees) in a small pot or microwave safe bowl. Stir in almond oil and any EO you want to use. Let cool until opaque and slightly thickened. Whip with mixer or beaters (or whisk, but that is tiring and not as effective) until volume is increased by about %50 and it looks like whipped cream. Store in an airtight container in a cool place (below 75 degrees) for ... Well I'm not sure how long. I always use it up before it goes bad, but it should last at least 3-4 months.

Amanda at Soulemama.com has a recipe for beeswax lip balm you could try. I've never made it but, but have been meaning to since i found it.
Hope that helps! Happy cleaning!

#7 ·
Thank you so much for your suggestions! I just finished mopping up the bedroom floors.. I am so appalled that the past renters let their pet urinate on the floors in the living room and in the corner of the bedroom. We were lucky enough that our landlord replaced the floors in the living room right after we moved in (it was TERRIBLE before).. but there was still this area in our bedroom that lets off a slight sour odor when the temperature rises in the morning, so I sprayed a mixture of vinegar x water x castile soap (few drops) x tea tree oil x lavender oil on the target area and scrubbed it, then I mopped all of the floors with a castile soap x tea tree oil x lavender oil Mop Water Mixture ;) SO now our house smells pretty amazing. But when I inspect closely, the target area is still pretty ruined. The smell is better but I can tell that it is deeply ingrained into the wood floors at this point, and we would have to sand them down or replace them to truly get it out. Blehhh.

Thanks for the recipes! I can't wait to try them out, I copied them into my notebook just now :) Awesome!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.