Mothering Forum banner

How to wash my floors?

• Get a steam mop and don't worry!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Get some kind of mop that wrings out since mine got discontinued.

• What other choice is there?

Can I use a steamer? How to wash my floor? Laminated wood& some kind of Tile

984 views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  ShantelPace 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I have pergo (laminate) flooring, also vinyl and slate tile. I got a $10 swiffer mop, instead of the disposable paper things they sell to put on it I just use a rag (I cut up old towels for cleaning rags when they start getting funky). I put the rag on the mop, spray with my all purpose cleaner (I use dilute white vinegar) and mop away. For stubborn spots, caked on gunk, I spray extra cleaner directly on the floor. It works well for me and doesn't leave the floors all wet, which can make the laminate peel or bubble. Also keeps me off my hands and knees!

#5 ·
You could certainly try it with more water, but I don't think you need to. It really doesn't take a whole lot of water to get something clean. If I mopped my current floors the way I was taught as a child (sponge mop and a bucket of soapy water) I would have to go over them a second time to dry them, and right away, or they would bubble up.
I have a crawler too. We wipe up spills immediately, sweep daily and mop weekly. Even with older kids and pets this keeps it clean enough for the little one.

#6 ·
Thanks LTurtle. This really helps. I just cant stop stressing about this. Now I feel more confident
smile.gif
. Hey I love turtles! Cool name.
Do u think I'm ok with using vinegar? Do I really need to know what kind of floor exactly? Its nothing special. What ratio do u dilute,? But I remember using a spray bottle before and it got so annoying spraying every spot. Wrist pain after 100s of squirts. What do u do? Do u know what I mean?

#7 ·
Oh I couldn't handle spraying every spot! I spray the mop/rag, enough get it pretty wet but not drippy you know?, then if there's a really bad spot I add a squirt or two on the floor there. You may need to re-wet or change out your rag if your floor is really big or really dirty. I can usually get my kitchen/dining/living rooms with one rag, re-wetting it once. If they're really gross I switch to a clean rag halfway through when the first one gets dirty. When I'm done the dirty rags just go in the washing machine.
I just use my all purpose cleaner squirt bottle for mopping as well. It's one part white vinegar to two parts water and 6-10 drops of tea tree oil. Works like a charm!

#10 ·
Hi. I just finished
smile.gif
! I was too lazy & didn't want to rinse. The smell evaporated too , for a second I thought I was doomed to smell like pickles. Thats great it evaporates. It certainly evaporated my stains and seemed to dry as I was using it. I had to keep wringing out my cloth snd making it stick back on. Thats my next goal to be more efficient.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.