Cleaning bedrooms - what is acceptable? Do you all ask for help or are you the one helping? - Mothering Forums
The Mindful Home > Cleaning bedrooms - what is acceptable? Do you all ask for help or are you the one helping?
ian'smommaya's Avatar ian'smommaya 08:36 PM 04-02-2014

How clean is good enough? I do UFYH (the non short hand is a UA violation). And it is super super helpful for me. What do you all expect from the kids IRT cleaning their bedrooms? DS keeps his fairly clean but I do ask for a dish round up about every other day. It's like he doesn't see them or something. LOL

grisandole's Avatar grisandole 08:28 AM 04-03-2014

I am pretty lax about the kids rooms depending on age; the younger the child the more I expect as I'm teaching them how to clean. Once they are teens, I give them control of their room. I don't allow food in bedrooms, only drinks, so I do have them do a "roundup" of glasses. 

In general, I expect everyone to clean up after themselves and I am adamant that they always clean the bathroom....I have no tolerance for towels left on floors and trash next to the trash can :)

Polliwog's Avatar Polliwog 09:11 AM 04-03-2014
Thanks for the UFYH suggestion. I just checked it out, and I think it's just what I need.
skreader's Avatar skreader 01:36 AM 04-06-2014

My kids are now 16 & almost 18. Since they got to secondary school, there's been a general expectation that they should tidy their rooms and vacuum once a week & that they change their bed-linens every couple of weeks. Usually it's a family activity (DH & I change linens while the kids do their own).

The older one is a neatnik, but tends to let the dust & mold build up. Doesn't  always vacuum when necessary. The younger is a bit slobbier, plus asthmatic, so we have to take a firmer hand to keep dust and mold down (not always successfully) & have to help cull papers and organize school files.

We have not given complete control of the room to the kids.  We knock before entering & try to respect privacy, but if I'm doing a load of laundry & there is space, I might go into their rooms to see if they left dirty clothes on the floor, especially behind the door.  We don't allow food except for things like crackers when they are sick in bed w/ a stomach 'flu.

If one of the kids is having a "I can't find X!!!" issue & they want my help, they need to accept that I will go into their rooms and help to search and that may turn into a "let's organize the schoolwork that you appear to be filing on the floor and desk-space and do a bit of dust-kitty eradication".

I know it sounds like I'm a crazy for dusting - but where we live, dust can build up visible layers in DAYs.

It helps that the older kid's bedroom in 6 foot by 11 foot & the younger one's is 6 foot by ~ 8 feet - not too much mess is possible & they have an incentive to keep it clean  enough so they can (for example) walk to the door without tripping.

Tags: Mindful Home
Up