Made in the USA or EU, wipe-clean, nontoxic placemat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-01-2014, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any leads? It is for a two year old, but it does not have to have a kiddie design (or it can - either is fine). I am thinking silicone, but have not yet found a USA- or EU-made product.
#2 of 5 Old 05-05-2014, 11:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Have you seen these by oogaa? They're non-toxic silicone and seem like a great company (I perused their site) not sure where they manufacture, but it might warrant an email as their stuff is cute & affordable & they seem solid, & have won lots of awards.

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#3 of 5 Old 05-06-2014, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I found on one site that they are "imported." I'll find out from where and report back.
#4 of 5 Old 05-06-2014, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

I just emailed Ooga.

For those who are also looking, I have found these USA-made options:

http://www.constructiveeating.com/shop/garden-fairy-placemat/

This is my top contender so far. It is made of polypropylene, aka #5 plastic, one of the better ones.

http://www.silentsprings.com/natural-marketplace/organic-child-baby/healthy-child-and-baby-feeding/mimi-the-sardine-organic-kids-placemat.html

This could be as good or better, if I could find as much information about acrylic as I can about polypropylene.

I'd still love silicone, but country of origin is important to me.
#5 of 5 Old 05-10-2014, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Update:  I felt I had given Ooga enough time to reply, and they did not.  I will still post their reply if I ever hear from them, since I know many people make use of the Mothering archives.

Unfortunately, I found that the Constructive Eating placemats were not well-reviewed, including a problem with smearing ink, which I found alarming.  I encourage anyone interested in this brand to do their own reading, as it certainly would be nice to have a USA-made product.

Next, I thought I would go with Mimi the Sardine, but it turned out that the company is out of business, with stock remnants being sold on various sites, in a limited range of patterns.  This possibly would have been the best option - I was really on the fence - but I was not crazy about the few, remaining prints, and I still couldn't see what was so great about acrylic.  Besides, there were no American (or any) workers left to consider, since the company was out of business.

Finally, I...bought some Chinese placemats.  Yes, I.  The search was driving me absolutely crazy.  I ordered some silicone placemats from a company called Brinware.  I would link them here, but since they are Chinese, I am going to leave that to Google.

Tags
Mindful Home

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page