How bad is drywalling - trying to wrap my head about the mess - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-06-2014, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a room that might end up needing to be torn to studs, all drywall removed and re-drywalled.  Nightmare.  It is the last room on the upstairs hallway.  I think it should be ok to seal from other areas as it is at the very end of the hallway.  We would remove carpet in room (It is fairly new) and hopefully have it rolled back when finished.   We would also cover all carpet in hallway, seal doors to other rooms, seal ac ducts etc.   We would not use upstairs while the drywall job goes on.  I will probably move away with the kids all together.  Downstairs would be tented as much as possible to prevent any dust that might escape to getting everywhere.  

I think my DH would be doing the tear down because I know he would care more about not making a mess than any contractor and then we would be hiring the drywalling to a drywalling company to hang and finish etc.   

If any of you have had to drywall an area due to remodel or finishing a basement, attic etc..  can you pipe in on how hard and messy this will be and if it is realistic that with very good taping we could contain the mess?  

We painted 3 months ago and the paint was tainted or something and we have residual smell.   We have tried airing constantly - I am talking fans and window open 24/7 with fan blowing out.  It smells ok if that is going on but the moment we close up the smell builds up.   We have primed over it but the smell is back.   We are going to try bin shellac primer soon which is super strong.  If that doesn't resolve it will have to be a torn down of the drywall to solve.  Thank God it is only one room not a bigger area.   

#2 of 8 Old 05-07-2014, 10:27 AM

My understanding is that drywalling isn't too bad at all!  I think it's actually compostable!  I'm sure tearing some out and re-installing will be a mess, but not a lead-paint-dust-everywhere or asbestos-type issue.  Good luck!

#3 of 8 Old 05-08-2014, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!.   We painted in March with Benjamin Moore Aura which we have used a ton before with zero problems but this time something is wrong and the smell won't go away.  We primed over it and after a couple days the smell is back perhaps even stronger.  
We are going to try a Bin Shellac primer which is about as strong as it comes and if that doesn't do it we are going to be force to tear down the walls to remediate.   Nightmare. 

#4 of 8 Old 05-19-2014, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Before starting be aware if there is a code in your city about if you have to rewire.  I am in an older house and any time you pull down your supposed to rewire the parts exposed(these houses have bad issues with electric) obviously many do not but if your having a professional come in you may have no choice.  

#5 of 8 Old 05-20-2014, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks - that is a good point.   Our house is new - 2000 the contractor who is very reputable said there were no issues and was way more simple than I was making it out to be.  They are also good at using HEPA vaccums to clean up, use a fan on the window to minimize dust in the room and they put filters and blocks on ac vents, zipper doors and plasting all over the upstairs etc..   I think it will be ok.  UGH a hassle for sure but ok.   I can only imagine how much harder eveything must be in an older house. 

#6 of 8 Old 05-28-2014, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Your planned precautions sound good. You may still find that you need to dust everything in some rooms. That was our experience when we had our bathroom gutted and redone. More details here:
http://articles.earthlingshandbook.org/2010/11/11/reflections-on-a-bathroom-renovation/
There was actually less dust from the demolition than from the new drywall: They spackle all the cracks and nail holes and then sand to make the walls smooth,s everal times, and that makes a lot of fine white dust.

If you have a window in that room (we do not have one in our bathroom) you can put an exhaust fan in the window to blow some of the dust out of the house...but that will put it in your yard, which may not be desirable.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#7 of 8 Old 05-31-2014, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnviroBecca View Post
Your planned precautions sound good. You may still find that you need to dust everything in some rooms. That was our experience when we had our bathroom gutted and redone. More details here:<br>
<a href="http://articles.earthlingshandbook.org/2010/11/11/reflections-on-a-bathroom-renovation/" target="_blank">http://articles.earthlingshandbook.org/2010/11/11/reflections-on-a-bathroom-renovation/</a><br>
There was actually less dust from the demolition than from the new drywall: They spackle all the cracks and nail holes and then sand to make the walls smooth,s everal times, and that makes a lot of fine white dust.<br><br>
If you have a window in that room (we do not have one in our bathroom) you can put an exhaust fan in the window to blow some of the dust out of the house...but that will put it in your yard, which may not be desirable.
Thank you! Yes the contractor said we could put a fan out to minimize the dust. It's the side yard so i think I would be ok with that. I rather it be out than in.
#8 of 8 Old 05-31-2014, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So my hubby and I have been remodeling our house for the last few years that included adding a huge addition, and DH is a licensed contractor.

Here's my ideas. I would try to fix the paint instead of ripping out all the drywall. Painting it over, even with just another coat of paint, not even a primer, will help seal it. You just used latex right?

The reason why I don't recommend ripping out all the drywall is.... It will probably be a lot more expensive and take a lot more time, and I'm sure you could just paint over it. Your hubby could probably hang the drywall too, if he's so inclined. Just I would definitely hire out for the joint compound. That is the messiest part, and the part that requires some technique. They make a sander attachment that you hook up to your shop vac. We've used that and it cuts the dust down by like 90%, HIGHLY recommend it. I actually wouldn't recommend a fan it tends to make a dust cloud instead of letting it settle on the floor (where you could vacuum it up), and if you have an open window in that room for the fan and open a window on the other side of the house sometimes it makes a vacuum effect and will suck the dust past the plastic/curtain you hung into your clean house!

As far as the rest of your house, as long as you hang a plastic curtain and make sure your hubby or whoever is doing the work changes clothes/ or takes off the dust suit before leaving the room, you should be fine for the rest of the house. As far as the demo you could just chuck the debris into a trash can below the window so they don't have to walk it through the house.

Good luck with the home remodeling!

Last edited by aslandess; 05-31-2014 at 03:27 PM.

Tags
Mindful Home

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page