Mothering Forum banner

No paper towel Mamas, what about grease?

988 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  SweetSilver 
#1 ·
Quick question, I would always blot the bacon, and wipe the grease off the pan with paper towels, but now I have switched to all cloth towels, and I'm worried about using my cloth towels and the grease gumming up my washer machine when I wash them. What do you guys do?

#4 ·
I always fry bacon in a pan that will be used soon, so no need to wipe grease out (and yes, I save the grease!). I don't always save grease, though, particularly vegetable oil in small amounts. Heat it and pour it into the plain paper recycling destined for the worm bin (yes, fat is OK in the worm bin). Small amounts to wipe out of pan I either use a rag that's DONE or you can use a piece of stale bread and put that in the compost.

I'm not 100% paper towel free, however. I have an old cat... you get the idea.

Good luck!

Reactions: rachelsmama
#5 ·
@swd12422 I read that about saving the bacon grease when I was searching the forums to see if someone asked something similar. I heard it really adds a lot of flavor to foods. I might try that.

@SweetSilver We strive to be paper towel free, but we've been doing some remodeling and DH was ruining my rags with paint/glue/etc, so we bought a few rolls for that. :laugh: I didn't know you could put grease in your compost bin! That's an excellent idea, I even like the old bread trick, that will be perfect! :thumb We're thinking about moving more rurally for our next place and it will most likely have a septic and I want to try to change our habits now. Thanks so much!

#6 ·
I save all kinds of fat--even chicken fat skimmed from a stewed chicken. I use it instead of that tablespoon or two of oil called for to saute vegetables. I haven't had to dispose of or even compost excess grease in months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.