Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SweetSilver

#1 of 10 Old 06-07-2014, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
how do you store your ice cream?

We just got an ice cream maker and will be stocking up b/c everyone likes different flavors and one of us needs diary free, etc.

I made my first batch last night and put it in a glass storage container, but the lid is cracked and it's not a good long term solution. I've noticed that most ice cream containers are plastic, but is that b/c glass makes the ice cream too hard? Or just b/c most people use plastic? I'm trying to stay away from disposable stuff and plastic as much as possible.... Recommendations?
#2 of 10 Old 06-09-2014, 05:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Two reasons I thought of are that 1) maybe the ice cream makers and the grocery stores don't want to be responsible for that much glass in their store. That doesn't quite make sense because they sell extra virgin olive oil and some coconut oil, for example, in glass, but there is a lot more ice cream than oil sold in the store. 2) Maybe ice cream sold in plastic is cheaper to make than glass.

That being said, if you can find enough (big enough) glass containers that are affordable and freezer safe, go for it!

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#3 of 10 Old 06-09-2014, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I was almost thinking of an old fashioned lard can, but I don't see them in anything smaller than 6.5 gallons. I use our pyrex bread pans, but the lids are plastic. You need to get a good seal on the ice cream or it gets ice forming on the surface. Plastic makes the best seal.

You could freeze the ice cream in the canister it was made in. Does homemade ice cream really last that long?
swede likes this.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#4 of 10 Old 06-09-2014, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I don't store mine, only make it as we use it. If it put it in my freezer it freezes hard as a rock, whether it's a custard based recipe or simple. So I use a very simple recipe I can throw together in minutes and make a pint at a time: half and half or coconut milk, honey, vanilla, and sometimes cocoa powder whisked in or sliced strawberries, or a couple drops of mint oil and some choc chips. You can make vanilla and add mix ins when it's done for a variety all at once.

Glass cracks in the freezer if you seal it, liquids expand when they freeze. Metal or plastic would work if your recipe and your freezer don't make your ice cream rock solid, or closing after it freezes.
#5 of 10 Old 06-09-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post
Glass cracks in the freezer if you seal it, liquids expand when they freeze. Metal or plastic would work if your recipe and your freezer don't make your ice cream rock solid, or closing after it freezes.
Three reasons why ice cream will not expand like plain water. 1. while it's a liquid, much of the volume or traditional ice cream base is made up of sugars and fat, which will not expand 2. Mixing in an ice cream maker will add air, which prevents the mixer from expanding in a container and 3. the initial freezing in the mixer will also accommodate any expansion that will happen.

Even if you just mixed up a simple mix and froze that instead first placing it in a ice cream maker, it will not expand as much as plain water. Filling a container not-quite full and not sealing tightly until frozen will prevent any cracking.

Last edited by SweetSilver; 06-09-2014 at 10:03 AM. Reason: clarity
#6 of 10 Old 06-10-2014, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

First batch is frozen solid. In an Anchor Hocking glass storage container. One wrong slip of the metal gelato scoop and it would probably crack... So I answered my own question. I guess I need to find a sturdy stainless canister? Except that the shallow container is better for letting it sit out to soften up. I don't mind a plastic top, but I would prefer to avoid the whole container being plastic.
#7 of 10 Old 06-11-2014, 05:01 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
What about those tins that cookies come in sometimes?
#8 of 10 Old 06-11-2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swd12422 View Post
First batch is frozen solid. In an Anchor Hocking glass storage container. One wrong slip of the metal gelato scoop and it would probably crack...
Maybe the Anchor Hocking is thinner? But I've never had trouble like this with my pyrex bread pans.

#9 of 10 Old 06-13-2014, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

It is thinner. No cracks yet, but it seems imminent.
#10 of 10 Old 07-12-2014, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I just use a small BPA Free plastic bowl with an airtight lock lid....I only make a pint at a time so it doesnt last that Long and I dont Heat it up so the bowl doesnt worry me...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page