Hammocks or floating bed as bed replacement? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By crazyms

#1 of 21 Old 06-14-2014, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Hammocks or floating bed as bed replacement?

I've been looking at organic mattress options to start replacing our beds as we can but they're expensive and out of budget right now. I came across the hammocks used as beds though and was wondering if anyone had any experience to share. I've read a bit about it and like the idea of less hassle in bed making plus being able to get an organic one for under $100 and going up depending on choice. This would make it possible to get the entire family organic hammocks for less then one organic mattress would be. I also found the floating bed and would consider that although I haven't looked at it too much yet. We have me and dh plus 3 kiddos (9,7, and 3) to get beds for. Has anyone tried this or have any advice to share? TIA!
#2 of 21 Old 06-20-2014, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

I guess no one here has tried this before but I decided to go for it. I found a well reviewed simple hammock on Amazon for $20 so I ordered it. I'm really hopeful that this experiment will work and we'll enjoy the hammock as a bed replacement but we'll see!
#3 of 21 Old 06-21-2014, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Please post an update! I've been stalking this thread hoping you would get a reply. We are in need of a new bed but can't agree. I think a hammock is a great idea but I'm not so sure it would work long term for us.
#4 of 21 Old 06-21-2014, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Certainly! I'll update once I've tried it out. We can't find a good alternative either. I'll post an update on the hammock once I've tested it. The other options we've considered were Japanese style futons and the organic twist mattress kit that is filled with buckwheat hulls. Both are good options and cheaper than a standard mattress but higher than a hammock and use more space. One thing I really like about the idea of the hammock though besides price and obvious space conservation is the fact that I could eliminate other "bedding" parts like a mattress cover and topper and fitted sheet. Sounds great in theory lol. I'll update once I've tried the hammock. I'm really excited!
#5 of 21 Old 06-30-2014, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
good info,We are in need of a new bed but can't agree. I think a hammock is a great idea but I'm not so sure it would work long term for us.thanks
#6 of 21 Old 07-02-2014, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure if it's going to work for us long term either but I'm giving it a try. I got the hammock in but I had to wait to get the parts to install it. I'll post back once we've tried it out.
#7 of 21 Old 07-08-2014, 03:12 AM

If you are trying to replace your bed with mattress, then don't think about your budget. See the quality as if the quality is not up to the mark, you will face many problems like body pain etc. Also take care of cleaning of it. Try to keep your floor clean. Do daily vacuuming on the floor. It will keep your floor and mattress clean.
#8 of 21 Old 07-09-2014, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShantelPace View Post
If you are trying to replace your bed with mattress, then don't think about your budget. See the quality as if the quality is not up to the mark, you will face many problems like body pain etc. Also take care of cleaning of it. Try to keep your floor clean. Do daily vacuuming on the floor. It will keep your floor and mattress clean.
Some people need to assess budget. The point of this thread is to discuss hammocks and other alternatives to a traditional mattress as options to get good sleep, organic, quality and it be budget friendly as a bonus. It also takes care of the cleaning issue as a hammock can be washed and dried like clothing avoiding the potential issues of mold, bed bugs, dust mites, and more than can come with a traditional mattress over the years. No concerns or mention of the floors and thank you for the input but I'm not interested in buying one of your vacuum cleaners.

Now for everyone else back to the regularly scheduled programming - dh decided that wall mounting wasn't a good idea and so I ordered a stand that just came in today. I have it hung up in my living room right now and climbed in it to test. It seems great! I'll be sleeping in it tonight for the first time to see how waking up after a night in it feels but it was very comfortable testing it out. The kids are loving it and the fact that it swings after you get in it. They all want to know when they're getting their own for beds

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#9 of 21 Old 07-11-2014, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyms View Post
I'll be sleeping in it tonight for the first time to see how waking up after a night in it feels but it was very comfortable testing it out.
So how did it go?
#10 of 21 Old 07-11-2014, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Great! The hammock was very comfortable. I woke up this morning and wasn't the least bit sore or achy which is amazing given how I've slept for a while now. It was a little different climbing in and having the light swaying when I first got in it but it was kind of nice - almost like being rocked to sleep like a baby lol. DD ended up climbing in with me in the middle of the night and that was okay too except she moves a lot and so it was strange. Not the hammock's fault though since she's difficult to sleep by anywhere! She actually napped in it today and slept wonderfully. I'm actually loving the hammock though! I'll have to test it out for a little while longer before I would decide to go out and buy the organic ones or one for each of us but so far I'm loving it!

#11 of 21 Old 07-11-2014, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Oh I'm also losing the hammock the next two nights since DD and DS are taking turns testing it out to see how they like it.

- I did forget to mention one thing I was worried about with the kids was getting in and out of it themselves. If it's their normal bed they need to be able to do this without my help. They don't have any issues with it! Actually I think I was more shy about it and afraid of falling or tipping than they were. Even 3 year old DD barrels in and out of it like a little monkey with no issues whatsoever.
heyxxmcfly likes this.

#12 of 21 Old 07-14-2014, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Some people need to assess budget. The point of this thread is to discuss hammocks and other alternatives to a traditional mattress as options to get good sleep, organic, quality and it be budget friendly as a bonus. It also takes care of the cleaning issue as a hammock can be washed and dried like clothing avoiding the potential issues of mold, bed bugs, dust mites, and more than can come with a traditional mattress over the years. No concerns or mention of the floors and thank you for the input but I'm not interested in buying one of your vacuum cleaners.
There is a big relation between floor and mattress. And if anyone don't know that how to keep their home products clean, then no matter to purchase.
#13 of 21 Old 07-14-2014, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShantelPace View Post
There is a big relation between floor and mattress. And if anyone don't know that how to keep their home products clean, then no matter to purchase.
Yes it is necessary to keep home products clean but that isn't what this thread is about. First of all a hammock isn't on the floor! And part of the benefit of a hammock is that it can be washed like other bedding making it easier to clean and actually clean the entire thing compared to a mattress. This thread was put here to discuss the pros/cons of a hammock instead of traditional mattresses or other sleeping arrangements not to discuss cleaning methods and vacuums.

#14 of 21 Old 07-14-2014, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Update on the hammock testing: The kids loved it! DS especially said he slept much better and was more comfortable. Not surprising he's a strange little duck that doesn't like to sleep in his normal bed anyways. DD also liked it and said she's much more comfortable there. Dh will be home in about 2 weeks so he can try it out. If things go well for a while longer we might change all our beds to hammocks while we're replacing them! I actually think we may get little dd one very soon since she has so much trouble sleeping and is doing better in the hammock.

#15 of 21 Old 08-25-2014, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Update on the hammock testing: The kids loved it! DS especially said he slept much better and was more comfortable. Not surprising he's a strange little duck that doesn't like to sleep in his normal bed anyways. DD also liked it and said she's much more comfortable there. Dh will be home in about 2 weeks so he can try it out. If things go well for a while longer we might change all our beds to hammocks while we're replacing them! I actually think we may get little dd one very soon since she has so much trouble sleeping and is doing better in the hammock.
this is so cool! could you link or msg me with the hammock/stand you bought . I'd like to try this out.
#16 of 21 Old 08-25-2014, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

@lookatreestar

I bought a cheap one to test out the theory first so it was great but here it is:

Hammock:
Amazon Amazon
Stand:
Amazon Amazon

It was just a cheap way to test it to see what we thought of it before we spent a bunch of money. I'm looking at new ones now and this is the site that has the best options and prices I've seen so far: http://www.seasidehammocks.com/

Hope that helps!

(PS Love the username! My little one is a major Little Foot fan!)

#17 of 21 Old 08-25-2014, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I was going to ask for a link as well. Thank you for this thread, such a cool idea!
#18 of 21 Old 08-26-2014, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I will be using a hammock for my newborn in November, and I have been wanting to buy a hammock for each of my kid's rooms. My husband built them loft style beds to conserve space in their tiny rooms and hammocks would be perfect for when their cousins sleep over or for whenever they feel like sleeping in them. Hammocks have been used for centuries, they are supposed to be great for the natural curvature of the spine. But what about sleeping with DH? That is the only qualm I can think of...

Breezy married to my sweetie pie David With two beautiful children that love each other very much and a bun in the oven due Nov. 5th, 2014

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

-Benjamin Franklin

#19 of 21 Old 09-01-2014, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
so cool!!! i've been wanting to get a mini hammock for na times, but i can't find a cheap one... consignment shops, here we come!!

Mellissa, married to DP , proud lesbian mama to 3 jelly babies: DD #1 (5) DD #2 (3) and DD #3 (8 mos) and ?? #4 6 mos
#20 of 21 Old 09-01-2014, 06:34 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3jellybabies View Post
so cool!!! i've been wanting to get a mini hammock for na times, but i can't find a cheap one... consignment shops, here we come!!
i meant nap times! (lol)

Mellissa, married to DP , proud lesbian mama to 3 jelly babies: DD #1 (5) DD #2 (3) and DD #3 (8 mos) and ?? #4 6 mos
#21 of 21 Old 09-01-2014, 09:25 PM

Interesting idea, as someone who is allergic to dust mites, I hadn't considered this option before!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page