Hardwood floor cleaner or better method? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

Old 06-16-2014, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hardwood floor cleaner or better method?

We currently use Bona and a Sh-mop for our maple hardwood floors. It doesn't seem to be cutting it anymore. The floor isn't as clean as I would like it -- especially if I have to wipe something up later in the day after washing -- the evidence of dirt shows up on the paper towel! I have changed the covers on the Sh-mop a few times during one cleaning but it still doesn't help. Is there a better floor product I could use than Bona? The floors still look a little dull after cleaning and I can still see footprints or dog prints....

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2014, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I use a shark steam mop but have issues with it leaving streaks on my hardwood. I can only see them in certain light depending on time of day but it still bugs me. Also I am not sure how clean my floors are getting. I have added diluted vinegar and a drop or two of thieves essential oil but even after going over the floor several times and changing the mop head, it is always brown and dirty looking. I think with 3 teen boys and all their buddies in and out all the time it is futile anyway. I look forward to reading any tips others provide!

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2014, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Mopping can mean a lot of pushing dirt around instead of picking it up. Murphy's in water, wipe wet, wipe dry. Repeat. Yes, that means getting down on hands and knees. Change water often. Seeing all that dirt pour down the toilet will be satisfying and you'll wonder how it all fit on the mop.

Oils can make the dirt more stubborn (pets especially), there is a chance the floor needs refinishing, but if the dirt is coming up on a paper towel then I think it's just what I said at the beginning. Mopping is really just a stop gap between hands-and-knees. Some homes without pets or kids can get by longer. When you mop, rinse the mop head frequently. Change mop water frequently.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 06-16-2014, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Vodka and a few drops of essential oil (do your research, some, like rosemary, are very hard on finishes - I like lavender) on a cloth mop. Mop frequently, every other day to twice a week depending on pets & traffic)
Old 06-16-2014, 03:10 PM

SweetSilver, when you mop on hands and knees what are you using? A cloth or sponge? Or something else? I think I am to the point of needing to do this. Does Murphy's need rinsing? Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2014, 07:13 PM

I use a cloth simply because I don't normally buy sponges. (Not for any environmental reason, I just don't). I don't rinse Murphy's, but I dilute it more than the instructions say. Instructions say "Rinse". Because your floor is as bad as it is, I would have wash water, rinse water, and a dry rag. And the full amount of soap. Once it's clean, and if the finish is still top-notch, you can just use a wet cloth for touch-ups, no soap required.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 06-16-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumabearclan View Post
Vodka and a few drops of essential oil (do your research, some, like rosemary, are very hard on finishes - I like lavender) on a cloth mop. Mop frequently, every other day to twice a week depending on pets & traffic)
Alcohol is great on grease. How well does it work if the finish is less-than-perfect? I've also used ammonia on really awful grease on woodwork (I was cleaning a house for sale and she had ammonia on hand.) It worked great, but I think it's hard on the finish unless it's bomb-proof polyurethane.

Old 06-17-2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post
have wash water, rinse water, and a dry rag. And the full amount of soap. Once it's clean, and if the finish is still top-notch, you can just use a wet cloth for touch-ups, no soap required.

Thanks for the tips!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2014, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
I wouldn't use vodka on a floor that is not sealed. Also don't put the EO on the floor, put the drops on the mop. If you use vodka on unsealed wood it will dry out the wood and make it pale and brittle.

Our floors are well-sealed but in areas where there was damage I've used linseed oil to touch up and the vodka/EO works on that just as well.

Vodka is at least half water, so it's not *terribly* strong. I use it to clean everything from countertops to vinyl floors to sinks. Not on grout, and not on paint. Probably a spot test would be a good idea before using a new cleaner.

I don't like scrubbing so I mop very frequently to stay on top of it. I didn't allow eating or too much drinking outside the kitchen when my daughter was little. We also all wear house shoes so that the floor stays clean and undamaged from grit & dirt. Salt tracked in the winter is brutal on wood floors.

I never used Murpheys Soap. I did use Bronners and it left a dull film on the floor that attracted even more dirt. I used wet Swiffers for a short while but they did the same: left a film that wiped up black with a wet cloth. The vodka doesn't since it isn't a soap or detergent. I think as you said that you'd have to rinse rinse rinse! if using a soap or detergent. Might be worthwhile if the floor is small and has gotten pretty dirty. The EO helps cut grease and tacky dirt like pollen. I don't think the vodka would do a very good job with grease on its own.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:17 AM

The most essential way to keep your hardwood floor clean is daily cleaning. Daily clean your floor with best odor cleaner and also use vacuum cleaner for easy clean. I am using rainbow vacuum cleaner, and I never get any complaints from it.

User Tag List