short-cuts - Mothering Forums

#1 of 2 Old 07-06-2015, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I'm realizing that I could benefit from some short-cuts around the house, but I find myself having a hard time giving things up. It seems like I value the hard way because it's generally greener, healthier, and cheaper.

I am interested in what short-cuts you take and why. I have given in to my dryer, store-bought bread, and public school. I still garden (from seed), cook from scratch (including yogurt), cloth diaper, compost, and limit screen time. What's ironic is that although I'm looking to make life easier, I actually would love to take on more -- get some chickens, start an etsy store... I just don't have time.
Sponsored Links
#2 of 2 Old 07-23-2015, 05:35 AM
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
The trick is to do things that prevent dirt from building up so quickly. Put a mat at the entrance and make it a rule that everyone must wipe their shoes and take them off outside. You can get a rubber mat for mucky, wet shoes.
Keep the common areas clutter free and tidy. Put away everything when your done using it. Wash the dish you were using right away. If you can afford it, get that auto sweeping robot thing that cats like to ride on. A lot of the time, the best short cuts are a matter of organization. Get the kids outside, even if it's just in the backyard, as much as possible will keep them out of the way and your place cleaner and tidier. Swiffer sweepers or something like it, are good for removing fine dirt, dust and hair. I do that everyday on my bathroom floor. I found that attaching a wet cloth on a Swiffer sweeper is cheaper than buying the refills. But at some point your floor will need a good clean. Nothing beats the clean you get when you're on your hands and knees scrubbing. I like the laundry detergent capsule pod things. It's quick and there is less mess. Get your kids to help out. I used to have to wash the dishes everyday when I came home from school, along with dusting everything and vacuuming. Not saying I recommend that extremity.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page