What is your thermostat routine? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 02-04-2005, 02:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Holy Smokes! Some of those are pretty low. : I feel like a big waster. :LOL We have recently started to keep ours at 72 during the day and 66-68 at night. Before we had ds we kept it really low during the day, and at night, practically off. Ds loves to run around naked and bathes and all. I just want him to be comfortable and snuggly.

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#32 of 49 Old 02-04-2005, 01:28 PM

We've been keeping it at 60 around the clock, except when we have guests because we'd be embarrassed! Our last gas bill was still $185. Yikes. Another reason to be happy we're moving this month.
#33 of 49 Old 02-04-2005, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I should add that while we're very grudging w/ the AC at home, I have a tendency in summer to go hang out at the mall ALL DAY (I take a lunch) to take advantage of the free AC.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#34 of 49 Old 02-05-2005, 09:49 AM

60 during the day, 50 at night and kids and I just pile in bed together under a bunch of blankets. I can't stand to sleep in a hot dry room in the winter, of course I grew up in an old house where I'd wake up with ice on the inside of my window so I guess I'm used to it.
#35 of 49 Old 02-05-2005, 05:00 PM

72 during the day and down to 62 at night. I think we need new insulation in the attic because it seems our heater is on all the time. I even have the plastic on the windows.
#36 of 49 Old 02-05-2005, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I guess I really am cheap! 57 during the day, 54 at night. We could go colder at night (4 in a bed keeps you warm!) but we have trouble with pipes freezing. I do use a little heater in the bathroom during tub time for the kids when it is really cold.

btw, just found this forum. nice. happy to see others who are frugal either out of necessity or desire.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#37 of 49 Old 02-06-2005, 01:42 PM

We have a digital thermostat (not expensive....maybe $20 at most) so ours adjusts when we need it to to keep the bills down and us warm enough. We keep it at 67* during the day and 62* at night. Our bill last month was a little over $300! We do live in NY and it has been in the teens or lower for a few weeks now, so I'm sure that's why, but our gas bills in the winter are usually over $200/month. We rent, though, so we can't do much about making it more efficient.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#38 of 49 Old 02-07-2005, 11:33 PM

wow you guys have huge gas bills! it isnt very cold at all here this week...about 8C/46F, often lower but my gas bill is never more than $28 a month. i do have a small house though, maybe something in the UK is cheaper!
#39 of 49 Old 02-07-2005, 11:39 PM

Wow, we're cheaper than I thought, ROFL. We set ours at 60 pretty much all the time. Occasionally we'll jack it up to 62 or 64 if we get a big chill Oil is so expensive this year. Honestly, we're so used to it, and our bills have gone way down (compared to previous years where we set it to 64).
#40 of 49 Old 02-08-2005, 12:26 AM

Ours doesn't have numbers, just "low", "high" and "comfort zone". We have baseboard heat (terribly slow/ineffecient) and a separate dial for each room.
Our thermostat routine is,

I turn on the heater, 'cause it's cold, to "low-comfort-zone".

Sometime while I'm at work, DH decides it's too hot, and opens the bathroom window, and turns on the swamp and the room AC. (I am serious.)

He turns off the swamp and the AC right before I get home.

I get home to a freezing house, despite all the heaters being on. I go to the bathroom, sit on the freezing seat and see that the window's open.

A fight ensues.

He swears up and down that he will turn off the heaters instead of opening the window. Also swears not to run swamp and AC simultaneously. Also swears to run neither of these with the heaters on. Also swears not to run AC or heater with window open.

Power bill (which DH pays) arrives, DH wonders how we used $180 of power in 840 sq. ft.

And repeat from the beginning....

Not exaggerating about any of this. Thermostat is just about the only bone of contention in our marriage.
#41 of 49 Old 02-08-2005, 01:03 AM

70 in the living room while we are up. 62 when we are gone or asleep.

We heat with a Toyo oil stove which is supposed to use just a dollar or two worth of kerosene a day
#42 of 49 Old 02-10-2005, 04:10 AM

Wow, I would absolutely freeze in your homes. Ours is gas and set at 72 during the day and 74 at night. When it snowed once, we turned it up to 76. We have very poor insulation and thin windows.

But it's not uncommon here that you have the heat on in the morning when it's 30 degrees outside and by 2pm, it's possibly in the 70's.

hang.gif  

#43 of 49 Old 02-13-2005, 09:08 PM

Ours is kept pretty high...I feel cold all of the time. At night I turn it down to 69 or 70 and in the morning i turn it to 74. :
Before we had a newborn in the house we kept it around 72 during the day and 67 at night.
#44 of 49 Old 02-14-2005, 03:31 PM

60 degrees 'round the clock on the first floor, but we don't have heat in our bedrooms, and have the orginal windows in our 1891 house. I have alot of blankets, and find it really hard to sleep in other people's houses where there isn't that nice weight over me and nice cool air on my face. I forgot to turn up the heat on christmas this year until I looked around and all of my relatives were putting back on their coats.

Mady, mom to : Rosie (4), and expecting someone new : in 1/10
#45 of 49 Old 02-14-2005, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
68 in the day and 66 at night although it rarely clicks on.

In the summer we keep it set to 73 (a/c)

Desiree

#46 of 49 Old 02-20-2005, 12:07 PM

I live in an older mobile home right off of an empty cornfield, so the wind can get wicked. I keep it set at 70 during the day and 68 at night. But when DH is home, I find that I'll walk past it and he's kicked it up to about 75....grr! (I promptly turn it back down!)

The age of your home, the vicinity of it, the temps outside, all can make a difference.

My brother only lives 12 miles away, but his house has all new windows and is set in the middle of town. He keeps his heat set at 65 and it seems downright ROASTING in there when we visit!
#47 of 49 Old 02-20-2005, 12:38 PM

Our house is usually about 68 when we are home and 65 when we are not. Just those few degrees actually makes a difference . I was taught that to save money and heat efficiently, avoiding extremes was key.

We both grew up in old drafty homes with old furnaces. Along with some research on what makes sense to maintain a good temperature, these are the things I would suggest.

Don't turn the furnace off completely. By turning your furnace off, you make it work all the harder when you do turn it on. Just think of all the gas it is using when it has been off all night and you want to raise the temp in the house from 50 to 60. Even if you are going out of town for a week or two, don't turn it off. Up here, you run the risk of bursting pipes. Then you come home to a very cold, flooded house.

Windows should have curtains to block breeze and keep heat in. If the window are drafty, plastic sheeting works wonders. Even rolling a towel and placing that on the sill under the window will ease some draft.

Check the doors for wind. Adjust or add weatherstripping. A rolled up towel at the bottom of the door will keep the draft at bay.

Insulate your hot water if gas. This will help it retain its heat and use less gas to heat the water.

Programmable thermostats can help control the temperature and keep things constant. You can set home, away, and sleep temps.

Put on a sweater, dress in layers, or snuggle under a blanket with your favorite kids.

Wear slippers.

Also, do you have antiques in your home? Artwork that you care about? Books that are rare or that you care about? These things are not meant to be stored in very cold temps. They all need enough heat and moisture to keep them healthy. Most archives and special collections keep their valuable materials between 65 and 70.

Oh, and I'm with Mady. I have a hard time sleeping without that blanket weight.
#48 of 49 Old 02-20-2005, 12:40 PM

Oh, I also forgot! We avoid having to shell out massive bucks each month on our gas bill by getting on the budget plan. Yup, we pay the same amount all year long. This helps with the money issue. I haven't paid a bill over $100 in several years.
#49 of 49 Old 02-22-2005, 11:31 AM

Ihad it set to 55 at night, DH who is always asking to turn it down, asked for it to be warmer. with some fiddling, we have it at 64 at 10pm. at 5:30 itcomes up to 74 then at 8 it goes to 55 till 3 when it goes to 70.

no one is ever happy. we opt to the side of cooler- many times i turn the furnace off. we have a gas log fireplace that i turn on if i am chilly. (wearing socks, pants, turtleneck and sweater)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page