I need a good washing machine! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 02-03-2005, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
do you have any recomendations? I have to wash all my clothes through 2 cycles now b/c my machne is not good!
#2 of 16 Old 02-03-2005, 04:17 PM

I don't have an answer exactly--and I don't want to hijack your thread--but my DH and I have been coveting a Maytag Neptune top-loading washer. It looks awesome!! But I think I read on consumer reports that there is a class action suit against Maytag about that--but I don't know anything more than that.

My fridge died recently and I had to buy a new one--I found looking at consumer reports ratings and general information very helpful. (www.consumerreports.org). You can get some general info just by going to the site, but you have to join to read the more detailed product ratings, but it's like 5 bucks just for a month. To me it was worth it.
#3 of 16 Old 02-03-2005, 04:22 PM

Your library probably has copies of consumer reports. I know the library where my dh works you can access consumer reports online for free through the library's website. They pay for the subscription.
#4 of 16 Old 02-03-2005, 07:17 PM

CR is a great place to look for recommendations. And stick with a big brand - Kenmore (at Sears), Whirlpool, Maytag, etc.

If you can afford it, as they're generally a bit more money, spring for a front-loader. They use significantly less water than top-loaders and agitate the clothes more gently so they don't wear as fast. But beware of one thing when shopping for them - When we bought ours a few years ago some models had really small openings, with large rubber gaskets that looooved to pull out arm hair when you reached in. We avoided those and made sure we got one with a nice big opening. Maybe they've improved and all have bigger openings now, though, as this was a while ago.
#5 of 16 Old 02-03-2005, 10:59 PM

Jen-mom, good point about the front loaders . . . the reason the Maytag Neptune appeals to me above all other top loaders is just that--there is no center agitator, sort of rotating discs on the bottom, so it's gentler on clothes, and it also uses less water than a conventional top loader. They also make a front-loading Neptune, but I like being able to fill the washer and soak things for a while, which you can't do with a front loader I don't think.
#6 of 16 Old 02-04-2005, 04:27 PM

http://www.boschappliances.com/laund...060_detail.asp

ETA: I just got this washer and love it. I had a 1978 AEG front loader before this. That washed and rinsed really well and I really wanted to keep repairing it rather than get a new one. But the programmer broke on it and it could not be fixed this time. I was really worried about it not rinsing well, like lots of machines, but it does. The AEG machines apparently don't last like they used to and Bosch is what was recommended by several different sources for longevity now. And watching the meters while it runs, I'm really saving water and electricity with this machine.

: madrone - : SAHM to 12 y.o. DS, : 9 y.o. DD, and : 4 y.o. DS
#7 of 16 Old 02-05-2005, 12:35 AM

Sears front loaders have been a god send for our laundry needs.
Great ranking in consumers reports too.

Consider buy an eco type drying rack to hanging from the ceiling
to use in the winter in place of a clothes line.
#8 of 16 Old 02-05-2005, 01:01 AM

Here is a forum that dicusses all thing laundry. Lots of threads about washing machines. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/laundry/

I need a washer to but dh says we have to wait till maybe next year. To many big bills this year
#9 of 16 Old 02-06-2005, 12:49 PM
A&A

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Front-loaders use gravity to clean the clothes, so I can't see a non-agitating top-loader working as well. And they use SOOO much less water, it's unbelievable. And they do have a "pre-wash" (extra soaking) cycle.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#10 of 16 Old 02-08-2005, 10:03 PM

I have a maytag neptune but i have the older version that they dont make anymore unless you buy it in a stackable it is still full size and front loading. I am considering selling mine for hte stackable one.

I cant comment on the others but i love my neptune

amy
#11 of 16 Old 02-08-2005, 10:11 PM

I pulled out all the stops and got front loading Kenmore HE4Ts from Sears. I spent a huge amount for these machines. I am so glad I did.

I do fewer loads of laundry, usually in less time. I have a sanitize setting I use with my diapers or towels and underwear. When I want to soak, I select the soak setting and 5 minutes into the cycle I pause the machine for however longi want.

My only regrets are related to my laundry area. It is a hallway and these stick out further. Also I got the pedestals and that means I lost a major flat space to do stuff with.
#12 of 16 Old 02-09-2005, 11:16 AM

I have a frigidaire front loader, the cheapest one, and it has worked great for us: in "protégez-vous", a Québec consumer magazine, it was ranked the best for the quality/price.

I wash diapers with no problems in it.

I haven't heard of anyone unhappy about this one.
#13 of 16 Old 02-09-2005, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The next time we are in the market for a washer I want to get a Staber. They cost a little more but they are very effecient and use WAYYY less water (from what I have read about them).

Currently I have a Kenmore washer and it works great but it doesnt save water or anything.

Desiree

#14 of 16 Old 02-10-2005, 01:42 PM

We bought an Admiral last summer (Admiral is a brand made by Maytag that is less expensive - it comes with the Maytag return/repair policy and is made in the same factory but is about a third less expensive)

It is great. It is a top loader but has the extra rinse option and a variety of soak cycles that I wanted for cding.

BJ
Barney & Ben
#15 of 16 Old 02-10-2005, 06:55 PM

We bought the front loading Maytag Neptune about five years ago, when it still had dials. Now, they have the little computer screen, but I'm not sure that makes it any better. We noticed a huge difference in our water bill the first month we had it. It holds a ton and has really cut down on the amount of loads we have to do. My only complaint is that the rubber ring on the inside of the door molded and I can't get it off. I've tried everything to get it off and even resorted to bleaching it, but the stain still remains. The mold is dead, I just can't get the stain off. The problem is that the seal is so tight on the door to prevent it from leaking that it didn't let the inside dry properly. They may have fixed this problem by now, though. Leaving the door open obviously solves the problem (which I should have though of but didn't) but the light eventually burns out.

I wouldn't change my choice for anything. I can even wash all of our bedspreads in it (though not at once) and we have a king sized bed. Plus, my boys can help with the laundry because they can reach to pull the stuff from the washer and put it in the dryer.
#16 of 16 Old 02-11-2005, 07:10 PM

oohhh I get to gush about the love affair I am having.... with my washing machine . Our machine bit the dust 3 months ago. I was about to get the Sears basic front loader when I fell in love with the Fisher Paykel ecosmart. We found it at Lowes. It is a toploader but has the virtually the same water usage as the frontloaders if you use the auto water feature- It also uses half the amount of the detergent.

I do CD so really wanted something I could heave the bucket up and over into- with a soak cycle. I use the soak cycle now on a lot of things like sheets and whites - cutting out the bleach. It has a timer too so I can start it the night before. I had a hard time picturing how I would get the yucky wet dripping diapers into the front loader.

The drum is huge compared to the Sears one- 3.7 cuft and it has a spin speed of 900 like the front loaders. It claims that it has fewer moving parts- motor driven spin cycle for instance- so therefore less things to break. It also had a high rating on Consumer Reports. So far I have loved it and had no probems- we did get the extended warranty- five years- because the electronic keyboard made me nervous- thanks for letting me gush.....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page