Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   The Mindful Home (http://www.mothering.com/forum/311-mindful-home/)
-   -   this is a cool forum...HELP ME!! (http://www.mothering.com/forum/311-mindful-home/246754-cool-forum-help-me.html)

UmmSamiyah 02-06-2005 03:49 PM

haha. Okay, so I am in the in between stage of knowing that i must change my ways but not really knowing where to start. I picked up this joy of homemaking book and it seems so comprehensive, it is from the 1930's and is really helpful but i just don't know where to begin! I got to school full time work part time (when they schedule me) and am on a VERY tight budget (or at least it would be if I knew how to better manage it). But I really need help changing my life around. Any suggestions on where to begin?

AngelBee 02-06-2005 03:51 PM

:

UmmSamiyah 02-06-2005 04:05 PM

i'm guessing you have no suggestions at this time??

AngelBee 02-06-2005 04:09 PM

Homemaking is not my strong point.

I am disorganized. Can't cook. Don't know how to sew, knit,etc.

But I desperately want to be good at it. I have severe attention problems that have made it really challenging because I forget to follow my list of to dos.

IdentityCrisisMama 02-06-2005 04:12 PM

Hey,

I’m no picture perfect healthy home management person but I’d be happy to help anyone worse of than me :LOL

What’s your goal? Where do you want to start? What is important to you?

Is this forum about ‘management’ or ‘mindfulness’? :LOL

Have you done a big, huge decluttering sweep of your whole home? That’s where I would start. I’d go through the whole place with a box marked “Goodwill”.

IdentityCrisisMama 02-06-2005 04:14 PM

And be ruthless! If you can’t do it, have a friend help.

AngelBee 02-06-2005 04:17 PM

That is where I tried to start.

I can't do it for some reason. I am afraid I will end up needing whatever I get rid of. Or that I am being wasteful. Like throwing out beauty products I don't use and no one wants.

UmmSamiyah 02-06-2005 05:53 PM

eh..well i guess the forum does say mindfulness. hehe. but i guess i could start with a big sweep. but i think ( and this is a guess) i need everything i have. but, i could be wrong. what is important? I don't know!!! My friggin' life being more cleaned and more organized. Every freaking aspect of my life is a mess right now! haha! Except for my religion. okay so maybe this is therapeutic for me, but in my religion (as is with most ) cleanliness is key. so i guess i could start with doing a clean sweep of the house.

jeniferm 02-07-2005 10:51 AM

One great idea I've seen about doing a sweeping de-clutter is, if you can't bear to throw things away or give them away, put them in boxes, tape the boxes up and put them in storage somewhere, labeled with the date you did it (basement, garage, even an unused corner of a spare room would do).

If, after 6 months or a year (whatever your comfort level is) you haven't opened the boxes to retrieve the contents, you probably didn't need the stuff in the first place.

It's drastic, but sometimes you need to start drastic to get things under control, then it will be easier to catch up and keep up later.

Also, I'll second the suggestion to have a friend help you with this step. They can talk you out of holding onto 3 different turkey basters just in case you need them all later.

Other than that - since you do know that you need to change, maybe post specific areas that you know are difficult for you and people can help with more pointers. Is it cooking, or deep cleaning, or general daily maintenance of clutter, or . . . There's so much, it would take several books to detail it all, but one thing at a time we can definitely help with.

UmmSamiyah 02-07-2005 11:14 AM

ok lets start with general maintenance of clutter. i am on a tight budget but things usually get thrown anywhere and everywhere. bol