Recycling asphalt roof shingles & roofing costs in general - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-29-2005, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good morning,

I just met with a roofer the other day who quoted me a price to replace the roof on our gabled farmhouse and attached barn. Needless to say it made my eyes pop out. I had wanted to get a metal roof, but apparently they're 2-1/2 times more expensive than asphalt shingles?! Yikes! I hadn't realized the price had gone up so much!

I'm trying to find information on recycling asphalt shingles. Apparently in Maine they recycle them for road material so they don't end up in landfills.

I was also wondering if people here had done the work themselves and how hard it is to do? Is it common to take the shingles off ourselves and then have the roofers install new ones? We don't have the money to get the whole job done at once so I'm looking for cost-saving measures wherever we can.
#2 of 2 Old 05-04-2005, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jen, my dh does roofs and always reccommends that if someone wants to cut costs the best way to do it is to do tear off. Have someone else put the new roof on so that if there is a problem, you are covered. If you do it yourself and have a problem in a year or two, you are kind of screwed.

Good luch.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page