My grandmother's pantry - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-01-2005, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I found myself thinking about it recently. Maybe because of hauling around the giant tubs of grain and rice that I have stashed in my basement :LOL It was such a wonderful place! It was a long, narrow room that connected the dining room and kitchen. Cabinets with glass doors on either side, a window looking out onto the back yard, one tall cabinet for brooms, etc, low cabinets with solid doors on two walls . A long marble counter top under the window. A large bin that pulled out, probably for potatoes. Big drawers under the couter. The room was completely unheated, and part of it was over the basement stairwell and the rest of it jutted out of the rest of the house a few feet so it was always cool. She put her pies and cookies in there to cool... Wish I had something like it now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 05-02-2005, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's so funny! We have been "planning" (fantasizing, really) to build an addition with a new kitchen for a couple of years now and a pantry exactly like that is what I have planned for what is now a porch off the dining room. It had seemed like the ideal space for a walk-through pantry to me... I'm glad somebody else has an actual memory of such a space and I'm not crazy.
#3 of 6 Old 05-03-2005, 04:38 PM

It sounds like an old butler's pantry.. Oh, how I would love to have a pantry like that!
#4 of 6 Old 05-03-2005, 05:52 PM

A friend of mine has an old farmhouse that has a pantry like that.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#5 of 6 Old 05-03-2005, 06:01 PM

I looooooooove old pantries like that! Unheated, quaint little room with lots of storage....I've seen pantries like that in several old houses of friends/relatives.

I love old pantries so much!!!!

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#6 of 6 Old 05-06-2005, 07:19 AM

Oh, that would be awsome. I would love a pantry like that. Actually, I would love any pantry at all. I think your Grandma's pantry is probably bigger than my whole kitchen! :LOL

Kath contented vegan mama to my trio of free-range boys
Permaculture Design Student & Wannabe Urban Homesteader

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page