Waldorf Lazuring children's walls? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 122 Old 05-15-2005, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone done this? I am very interested if anyone has experience painting with this Waldorf technique. I heard it is very time consuming, but the end result is beautiful. Something about the colors depending on the child's age is a factor also.

Just thought I would do something different.

Thanks!
Renee Brown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 122 Old 05-15-2005, 10:16 AM

ill ask my friend who did this...get back to you.
#3 of 122 Old 05-20-2005, 10:53 AM

#4 of 122 Old 05-20-2005, 03:05 PM

I did it for my kid's play room and it was really easy and looks so good. I did it in the golden-peachy waldorf kindergarden colors. I had a friend who had done this and she gave me some jars of paint (it only takes a small amount) in golden yellow, peachy pink, and reddish pink. Over my white walls I took a large damp sponge and took a little paint and rubbed it over the walls. You aren't sponging, more doing a wash of color and the texture of you wall comes through. I let it dry and they went over with the peach, and then a very light layer of the darker pink. You have a lot of control with the sponge to get the color and texture you want. Hope that helps. ETA-It propably took about 3 days (so it could dry in between), and it took about 1-1 1/2 hours to do each coat.
#5 of 122 Old 05-20-2005, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

I just was wondering if you had pictures of your walls? And also where do you get your supplies?

- paint
- sponge what kind, and where you got it?

And how does everyone like these walls? Is it a favorite room in the house? I have heard that Lazured walls are very relaxing to be in.

Thanks!
Renee
#6 of 122 Old 05-20-2005, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownay2
I just was wondering if you had pictures of your walls? And also where do you get your supplies?

- paint
- sponge what kind, and where you got it?

And how does everyone like these walls? Is it a favorite room in the house? I have heard that Lazured walls are very relaxing to be in.

Thanks!
Renee

I don't know how to post photos : but I will see if I can get my dh to show me tonight so I can put some up. The paint was low VOC, from the home improvement/ hardware store, and unfortunately you have to buy a whole can if they don't have smaller ones because they have to do a color mix. I would say definetly go with the first two colors (in my case, the yellow and peachy-pink). The last color wasn't necessary but it gives a little more depth. The sponge is one of those large williams sonoma pop up sponges (just what I had at home) but a think any big sponge would work. The rectagular ones at the home improvement store in the paint section. The walls are so pretty and relaxing, and they have this depth so the walls are less defined if that makes any sense. It feels nice just being in there, and we have natural wood toys and silk draped above the window so the room feels really complete. If you look at some Waldorf kindergartens you can get a good idea, and then look at the different grades to see what colors they do for what age.
#7 of 122 Old 05-20-2005, 04:01 PM

oooOOoo. I think that i have to try this.
#8 of 122 Old 05-23-2005, 05:20 PM

I'd love to know more and see pics, too!

We're about to move into a new house, and the walls are a very sterile shade of white. It's not white-white, sort of a blue-grey-white. Cold. Ugh. But I'm also *cheap* and the idea of using several coats of expensive pigmented paint just doesn't turn me on :-p

I'm thinking that if we had like 3 regular sized cans of low-emission "primary" colors and "lazured" them differently in different rooms we could get different effects... any opinions on that?

We're not all that Waldorfy, so not really bothered by the age correlations (I'd be interested in learning more about them, though) but it sounds pretty and frugal, which *are* two things I want more of in my life <LOL!>
#9 of 122 Old 05-26-2005, 06:17 AM

I asked a lady I know who is a waldorf kindegarten teacher & she said what you do is put an initial layer of white paint mixed with sand. The idea being to create a multitextured surface the light can reflect off. Then you put your thin layers of colour over that.
#10 of 122 Old 05-26-2005, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
can someone tell me more about the diffrent colors for diffrent grades? Thanks
Courtney

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#11 of 122 Old 05-26-2005, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
:

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#12 of 122 Old 05-26-2005, 01:59 PM

:
#13 of 122 Old 05-26-2005, 07:52 PM

I am very interested in diff. color combos and what ages they are appropriate for. I'd actually love to do this in my hallway, in more of a purple/pink/? version, with the darker color being towards the bedrooms and lighter towards the rest of the house.

What kind of paint? Semi gloss, flat, gloss?

flowersforyou.gif

#14 of 122 Old 05-29-2005, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You start with warm colors from birth until 5/6/7 years old. Peach Blossom I believe is the name of the color Steiner used. As they get older, you go to cooler colors. So when your child is preteen and early teen, they can go to purples/blues.
Of course in your own house, it is illogical to re-paint the room every year, but usually a pre-teen or teenager likes a change in their environment, so that's a good time to change the color of their bedroom/play room from a warm color to a cool color.

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#15 of 122 Old 05-29-2005, 10:33 PM

Waldorf lazuring..never heard of it but I dig it . Do you do the ceiling as well? I might do this for our hallway, which is just a bright white at present.
#16 of 122 Old 05-29-2005, 11:10 PM

I really love the effect, too, it's beautiful. I've been wanting to do something different to Ethan's room. He's 8 now and growing up and out of the electric Thomas the Tank Engine blue room and train stencils..

I looked up waldorf lazuring paint on yahoo and from the pictures it looks a lot like what we did in our living room and Willow's room. We used 3 shades of paint, one, dry, two, dry, three, dry, brushed on in the living room (in a soothing glowy yellow) and ragged off in Willow's room (in a bright vibrant green) to look like grass. So maybe it wouldn't be so hard?

Ewwk, except I just noticed in "genuine" lazure you have to use expensive materials and top it all off with some sort of casein which is a huge no no for Ethan..
#17 of 122 Old 06-02-2005, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

SO glad that others seem to be interested in this also. I too can not afford all those expensive pigment paints. I will try to find out some more info, about the colors, and what explanantion they have for using those colors at diffrent ages. I am thinking instead of repainting every time our children get to the next color for age group, I guess I could layer those colors on top. Kind of like a child growing, the newborn turns to toddler, child, teen, to an adult, kind of like the stages a butterfly goes through. They will always have the foundation color, as a base.

Renee
#18 of 122 Old 06-02-2005, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownay2
SO glad that others seem to be interested in this also. I too can not afford all those expensive pigment paints. I will try to find out some more info, about the colors, and what explanantion they have for using those colors at diffrent ages. I am thinking instead of repainting every time our children get to the next color for age group, I guess I could layer those colors on top. Kind of like a child growing, the newborn turns to toddler, child, teen, to an adult, kind of like the stages a butterfly goes through. They will always have the foundation color, as a base.

Renee
Please let us know if you find anything regarding what colors to use for what ages! I tried to find info online but didn't come up with anything that would help know what colors to use or how to get the effect with 2 or more colors when you're not blending them all into one color like we did in our living room.

That's a neat idea about layering as they grow older, that might be something I would do as well!
#19 of 122 Old 06-26-2006, 02:21 PM

Can I revive an old thread?

Anyone know what kind of paint works for this technique? Watercolor plus a glaze? watered-down acrylic? watered-down VOC-free latex paint? milk paint?

we're painting our new house later this week, and the pictures that I've seen of this technique are amazing! I'd love to be able to do this!

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#20 of 122 Old 06-28-2006, 04:21 PM

this looks like a really interesting painting technique! thanks for reviving the old thread

i googled and found this website, it looks kinda helpful....

http://www.lazure.com/workshops.html
#21 of 122 Old 06-29-2006, 06:38 PM

OMG that a beautiful effect. I'm going to have to try it out, or at lease something like that.
#22 of 122 Old 07-04-2006, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
:

Tina - mama to DD1 12yrs, DD2 7yrs, DD3 4 yrs & baby and wifey to DH.
#23 of 122 Old 07-04-2006, 11:18 PM

Yeah, I would love to do this to our guys' playroom that will eventually be their bedroom (still co-sleeping, here). Ds1's favorite color is yellow and ds2's is red, so an orange/peach color would probably go over well.
#24 of 122 Old 07-10-2006, 04:04 PM

:

Mama to 10 so far:Mother of Joey (23), Dominick (15), Abigail (13), Angelo (10), Mylee (8), Delainey (6), Colton (4), ID girls Dahniella and Nicolette (2 in July), and Baby 10 coming sometime in July 2015.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!
#25 of 122 Old 07-11-2006, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I am thrilled. MDC is so wonderful. Last night I learned about survival. Tonight I am learning about lazuring walls, a concept I never even knew existed, even though I love the look more than any other I have seen.

This is what I have been looking for.
#26 of 122 Old 07-11-2006, 02:22 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
What kind of room decor would you use for the rest of the room to give a Waldorf bedroom sort of feel? I am trying to expose my daughters to some furniture and decor alternatives to their first beloved choice (white with painted pink roses and crystal knobs from Rooms to Go, advertised heavily here).

I can see artwork and such at our local Waldorf school, but what about furniture -- real furniture that has a magical feel to it and is reasonably priced? I prefer something that will work up through the teenage years, but I am getting more flexible every day.
#27 of 122 Old 07-11-2006, 09:06 PM

I really don't see a reason that you couldn't use regular latex paint. I mean, if you're trying to get this effect without buying expensive, special paint. You could also keep watch over the "oops" bin of paint and try to find colors that would work.

I have painted lots of walls and have also done faux painting. To get this effect all you need are two colors of wall paint, a sponge, and some water. If you apply the paint with a wet sponge you will get a nice wash of color. If you find that the color is too saturated, you can spritz it with a spray bottle of water and then rub the sponge over it.

When we get a house and can actually paint things again, I would love to do the baby-to-be's room like this.
#28 of 122 Old 07-11-2006, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inezyv
What kind of room decor would you use for the rest of the room to give a Waldorf bedroom sort of feel?
Waldorf uses more natural tone woods like unfinished pine:

http://www.rosiehippo.com/categorysu...&subdeptid=502

http://www.waldorfresources.org/gall...playstands.php

IKEA has some nice stuff or you could try an unfinished furniture place locally.

And then there's the playsilks that go so beautifully with the Lazure painting: http://www.willowtreetoys.com/category/8/?s=15&p=2

HTH!
#29 of 122 Old 07-20-2006, 01:43 AM

show and tell!

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#30 of 122 Old 07-20-2006, 07:16 AM