How to make unsafe Windows safe?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-17-2005, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We live in a townhome with windows that are significantly high off the ground - even our first floor. My husband bought some sort of safety latches at Home Depot for the screens but told me that if our 19.5 months old daughter were to put all her weight on the screen it could still fall out of the window allowing her to...man, I don't even want to think about what it would allow her to do!

I'm wondering if there's any product out there that could protect her from falling out. Does anyone know of any? If so, what is it and where can I find it?

TIA!
#2 of 4 Old 05-17-2005, 04:13 PM
Banned

We have two windows that we want to prevent our dd from falling out so we went to home depot and got some window locks. You can put them just a bit above where window opens to prevent window from being opened more than a crack. Let's in air but dd could not possible move it. They are also security items since they cannot be moved from the outside. I don't know what they are called but they keep the window from being opened a lot and they are not very expensive. Otherwise, I have seen window gates that you can install but they are expensive.
#3 of 4 Old 05-23-2005, 06:00 PM

http://www.babyproofingplus.com/item153.htm

we have the clamp-style window locks now, but when we move into our own house, we will probably have something like the window-gates at the above link.

Basically, I think window screens are stupid, and should be designed more sturdily !
#4 of 4 Old 05-24-2005, 09:18 PM

I had the same problem when mine were little. We always just opened ours from the top down instead of the bottom up. That way it was much too high for little ones to reach. I think it actually cooled the room better too. Since then we moved to a ranch. but I have seen bars that you could install across the windows just for this purpose. Not sure where you'd find them to buy and they don't look so great, but would definitely be safe.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page