What can I do with old magazines/catalogs? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 05-24-2005, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I own a dance academy. I recieve TONS of catalogs and advertisements. Most of them I actually need. At the end of the dance season, I do not know what to do with all of them.

Can they be recycled? Any craft ideas? Should I donate them to a school for art class? Can I make paper out of them?

Most are glossy.

Thanks mamas!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#2 of 18 Old 05-24-2005, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Magazines:

take to hospital
take to car tune-up spot
take to school for art teacher
take to friend who is sick
use for packing material
use to put under pet dish
use to protect floor when spray painting small items

recycle bin
#3 of 18 Old 05-24-2005, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Can you recycle glossy paper? :

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#4 of 18 Old 05-25-2005, 01:02 AM

Some art schools need them. See if there's one in your area. It could even be a tax deductible donation.

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#5 of 18 Old 05-25-2005, 02:10 AM

Children love cutting pics out of magazines to make craft projects and/or collages. I know nothing about recycling though....GL

Sarah
#6 of 18 Old 05-25-2005, 02:11 AM

or maybe Freecycling them?
#7 of 18 Old 05-25-2005, 02:54 AM

I give them to my dd to cut up. She likes to paste them to construction paper and make collages. Something funny---the first time I tried this, I gave her a bunch of stuff: natural living catalogs, old Parents magazines and a couple of copies of Jane. When she showed me her first "creation" it was a collage with a women in a bikini, a huge bottle of vodka, Drew Barrymore wearing a "Politics is Like Sex" t-shirt, some shoes and a big bottle of shampoo. I think she must of got all the pics from Jane. I don't subscribe anymore so now her collages are a bit more tame. :LOL
#8 of 18 Old 05-25-2005, 06:31 PM

I don't get a lot of magazines, but Real Simple is my one splurge -- and I their photography.

Instead of buying cards, I just buy stock paper and make my own. It's so easy to find a nice picture from a magazine and bust out the glue stick, glue the picture on the front of the card, then fill the inside with whatever sentiment you're going for to the recipient (hm.. hope that makes sense). So I keep a nice-sized pile handy at all times. The others I drop around to various places in town (especially the car tune-up place).

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls and now a rainbow1284.gif BOY!!! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) angel3.gif .

#9 of 18 Old 06-08-2005, 06:35 PM

The local library here accepts old mags as a donation that other people can just take home with them. People just drop them off on the shelves at the front. Anyone can take the ones they want. I have gotten some good, even recent (same month) mags there.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#10 of 18 Old 06-09-2005, 02:51 AM

making your own paper - you might have to mix the glossy paper with other recycled paper

Using them for envelopes - a 8x8 inch piece of paper folded makes a nice envelope. And the post office will deliver them too - I just place a label on the outside if there isn't any blank spaces to write in.

Wrapping paper.

Decorative prints for your home.

Greeting cards

school book covers - for the smaller books that is

Decoupage - using cut up pieces like mosaic tiles for a project.

Making paper beads for jewelry or a door bead curtain

Cara

Cara
#11 of 18 Old 06-09-2005, 03:00 AM

Great ideas.
#12 of 18 Old 06-09-2005, 03:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter
The local library here accepts old mags as a donation that other people can just take home with them. People just drop them off on the shelves at the front. Anyone can take the ones they want. I have gotten some good, even recent (same month) mags there.
Check with your library system. In and around Seattle, the libraries won't take them anymore. I take mine to my monthly massage and put them on her table. It is a large practice yet they have no subs themselves.

My mil takes hers to a homeless shelter. It gives the people something to do while they eat or wait for a job or whatever they might be waiting for. She also takes hers sometimes to a nursing home. Hospitals might like them, too.

If kids are old enough to write stories, they make great story starters. Kids cut out a picture they like and write a story about it. Or, they can write a poem and publish it by cutting out letters and pasting it into words for their poem. Kind of looks cool.
#13 of 18 Old 06-09-2005, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I offer them up on freecycle first. If no takers I allow my 3 yr old to cut them up (then recycle what's left) or take them to the library to donate
#14 of 18 Old 06-28-2005, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by judybean
I don't get a lot of magazines, but Real Simple is my one splurge -- and I their photography.

Instead of buying cards, I just buy stock paper and make my own. It's so easy to find a nice picture from a magazine and bust out the glue stick, glue the picture on the front of the card, then fill the inside with whatever sentiment you're going for to the recipient (hm.. hope that makes sense). So I keep a nice-sized pile handy at all times. The others I drop around to various places in town (especially the car tune-up place).
:

Thanks for all of the ideas!

#15 of 18 Old 06-28-2005, 12:48 PM

Recycling restrictions are different everywhere. You have to check with yours on the phone about magazines. We can recycle them here with "mixed paper", but we can't recycle other waxed papers, like a box of crackers, etc.

Our library takes them on a shelf near the front door for anyone to grab. I just went to donate mine, and picked up some MotherEarth News!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#16 of 18 Old 06-28-2005, 01:05 PM

Don't know if anyone mentioned it, but donating them to a nursing or retirement home would be nice too. They would probably be better appreciated than those sent to the hospital (since hospitals tend to get a LOT of magazine donations).
#17 of 18 Old 07-22-2005, 02:14 PM

We get the Atlantic, the Economist, Wired, Cooking Light, and a mac user magazine (not Mothering :--read it at the library ). It try to put them where they are most likely to be a good fit with the people who go there. Some places where I leave things all the time are at the gym near the treadmills/eliptical trainers/stairmasters and in doctor's offices. I like the idea of giving them to a nursing home. They might like the Atlantic and the Economist. I have also taken old magazines to used bookstores (and have purchased magazines at used bookstores too--love old national geographics). At some paces even if they don't buy your magazines they have a "free" box where you can leave things others can take for no charge. I would call first and see what they say.
#18 of 18 Old 07-24-2005, 10:01 PM

I gave them to our kids school. I phoned and spoke to the secretary and she said that she had at least 4 teachers who would love them - maybe more.

Maybe try an elementary school in your area?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page