Bio Diesel Question re: Mechanical Problems - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-25-2005, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi All!! I will probably cross post this in TAO too, but thought some of you already using bio diesel might see it here too

We are going to buy a new (well, new to us) truck this weekend and want to get a diesel so that we can support bio diesel. Dh and I are really excited!!! But.....a friend whose son is a car salesman said that his dealership has seen quite a few diesel vehicles come in with problmes due to using the bio diesel. Can anyone share their experience? Is this total BS? What type of problems have your heard about if any?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2005, 01:59 AM

If you google "SVO vehicle" there is a lot of great information out there. We are doing to do the same thing. We are looking at $200, floorboard-rusted-out cars to get one to practice on.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:52 AM

No, it isn't bs. Older cars can't handle how caustic the new biodiesel is. That is why you usually see it as only part of the fuel. We have put biodiesel blend in our 28 year old mercedes without problems, but dh was telling me that it can totally kill your entire system. If you are buying a car that is more than a couple years old, I would definitely investigate this further!!!!

User Tag List