Who takes their shoes off in their house? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 62 Old 05-29-2005, 03:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We take our shoes off too! We also request that our guests take off their shoes. Growing up in Hawaii it was rude to wear your shoes in the house. Now, it's a must b/c of the baby. We have cheap bamboo rack from IKEA that we keep in the entry way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 62 Old 05-29-2005, 10:35 PM

I am very very lucky to have a mud room. there is a welcome mat outside the door (that rough grassy stuff?), and one inside the door. I line up the shoes inside the door, next to the mat. there is also an old small table, I set dd's shoes on top.

I thought of a rack, but imagined mud falling on the shoes below? I like the racks I have seen that have little cubbies (a la Japanese restaurants, and many Asian homes).

I always hope visitors will follow my lead and remove shoes. I don't ask unless it is wet out, but may start. (I'd like to offer slippers to guests, but in my area most people are unfamiliar with this custom and do not want to wear strange shoes.)

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#33 of 62 Old 05-30-2005, 04:46 PM

I've tried to institute this when we moved too, with mixed success. I always seem to get to the door, then remember 4 more things I need to go into the house for!

We are lucky to have a mudroom, but it is cramped with bikes and strollers (which need to be locked inside in our neighborhood) and piles of shoes. Also, it is not heated - I actually snapped one of my $350+ orthotics this winter because I left them in my boots overnight. Hoping we can put a space heater out there at some point.

We just have piles of shoes at this point. Would love someone to come and figure out a system for our messy room at some point!

Taking your shoes off is about the simplest thing you can do to keep toxins out of your home. Also, we have very short risers on our stairs, which get dirty and marked up if anyone wears shoes on them (I always know when my sister has been to visit!).

#34 of 62 Old 05-31-2005, 11:50 PM

We've always taken off our shoes in the house since I was a little girl. Now we do it at our house and they are usually placed next to the door under a little bench. Otherwise they are put away in our closet.

It's so hard for me to enter someone elses house without taking off my shoes.

As a child we always had slippers for people to wear after taking off their shoes.
#35 of 62 Old 06-03-2005, 02:58 AM

We take our shoes off as well. I grew up this way; dh did not. He's been a little hard to train ( ) but when we put new carpet in our old house, he snapped right to it. Now that we have moved and have wood laminate throughout a lot of the house, he's more lazy about it, but lately has gotten better because I asked him to try to remember. It keeps the house so much cleaner. I actually prefer going barefoot, and will take my shoes off at other people's houses, at synagogue or church ... I really don't like wearing shoes when I am inside a building.

We had one of those slatted shoe racks from IKEA, but the dirt from the shoes above would get the shoes below dirty. Now, our entry way is bigger, so we just put them in the corner by the rocking chair and eventually I get tired of the big mess and take them to their respective closets. Now that we are wearing sandals more, I usually keep mine and both ds's by the door for easy access.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#36 of 62 Old 06-03-2005, 09:35 PM

I grew up in Los angeles. We only wore shoes if we were going somwhere that required it, like school or the grocery store. My parents don;t always remove shoes at the door, but when I was a kid, we usually lined them up in the entry behind the door.

We lived in Japan, and while we were there, we had a shoerack for shoes and a basket of socks and slippers by the door. Now we have a basket next to the couch. Our living room isn;t much bigger than an entry so it isn't a big deal to remove shoes on the couch, or if it's wet to take them off on the little square of tile by the door and carry them to the basket. We each have only 2 prs of shoes, so they all fit in the basket. I wear sandals or slippers, so it;s easy to remove them. I take them off while I drive, and while I'm in class, or anywhere else that I'll be sitting down and i just tuck my feet under me.

We do ask out guests to remove their shoes (except for dhs gps who would probably be horrified) and now we don't have to ask, they know the rules, and remind each other if they forget.
#37 of 62 Old 06-07-2005, 02:22 AM

A simple two level rack bought at IKEA. It was only a handful of dollars, iirc.
#38 of 62 Old 06-09-2005, 04:55 PM

Hi,

We all take off our shoes before entering the house now (Me being Chinese thought it was normal way of life).

It took me 3 yrs to convince my hubby (He is non-Chinese and he thought it was strange to take off his shoes) to do this. Believe me, many many arguments were had over this shoe-issue!
#39 of 62 Old 06-09-2005, 05:53 PM

Yup, we take our shoes off (DH is korean american, I'm taiwanese american, it was just the way we were brought up). Luckily, we have a mud room. We have shoe racks in the mud room, and usually DH and I each keep one pr that we use the most on the doormat, so it's easy access (we're clog ppl, so it's a lot of slip on, slip off). We also have our guests take their shoes off, most service ppl will do it, but for those who won't (I understand why electricians wouldn't), we have some hospital shoe covers.

Also, DH and I both work in healthcare and omg the junk you drag in is just awful, and the thought of the yuckies from the public restroom floor wants to make me :Puke . Plus, with a toddler in the house, there is no way anyone is wearing shoes in our house, esp since he is one of those babies who puts everything in his mouth. Also, sometime interesting that you can tell ppl who complain about this, if you have carpeting, carpet professionals will actually tell you the best way to decrease the wear and tear of your carpet is NOT to wear shoes on it. Now, this doesn't mean going barefoot (which we admittedly do during the summer months, the oils from your skin will put some wear and tear on the carpet... although not as much as shoe grime), but wearing socks is ok.

Boy, was I ticked when I read the june issue of, 'family circle' at the ob's office and stupid miss manners said it was RUDE to ask guest to remove their shoes saying that it is a japanese custom and since japan did not win the war, then the, "norm" is to wear shoes in the house. She also said ppl who ask others to remove shoes only care about their floors, not about their guests... never mentioned anything about the germs ppl track into your home, and the potential health hazards it could pose, esp to young children. That reminds me... I need to write a letter to complain about her closed mindedness on this matter, not to mention I think it was RUDE of her to make that comment about japan not winning the war. I still don't understand how that was relavant in her decision to deem the, "no shoes" rule as being rude.
#40 of 62 Old 06-09-2005, 08:16 PM

i do not currently do this, but would love to start. i didnt read all the posts so im sorry if someone suggested this but you could also buy some slippers so that visitors have the option of not having to walk around in socks or barefeet.

Happiness despite misery is a great victory, I think...

caffix.gifSingle coffee loving and making mom to fencing.gifds, age 12, hamster.jpg dd, age 10, dog2.gif dd, age 7, flowerkitty.giftigress, cat.gifquinn, hyena.gifblack cat, and wool.gif beatrice the spider. Yeeehawww!!!

#41 of 62 Old 06-09-2005, 09:04 PM

I take my shoes off and my 3 yo is getting very good at taking his shoes off, but don't have the hubby well trained yet (he does about half the time). Guests rarely take their shoes off which irritates me because almost everyone instinctively takes their shoes off at my hubby's aunt's house. I guess because my wood floors are old and worn people think they don't have to or something...

Oh and we just have a rug by the door because we don't have a lot of space...easy to shake and wash when dirty.

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#42 of 62 Old 06-09-2005, 09:16 PM

We take our shoes off too. We have a hanging rack in the closet just next to the front door and try to keep only one pait per person out at a time...............sometimes we do end up with a pile of shoes though.

When guests come I usually say something like "If you'd be more comfortable please feel free to take your shoes off" and point to the pile of shoes. I offer them slippers as well. Most do take their shoes off, once in a while an older person will decline.
#43 of 62 Old 06-13-2005, 04:30 AM
Banned

we take shoes off in the garage and store them on a 4 tiered shelf. dp takes his shoes off just inside the front door. have a rug.
#44 of 62 Old 06-15-2005, 01:16 AM

Shoes off in the house is an ideal that I'm trying to work toward, but we're having a hard time with it. How do you deal with multiple entrances/exits? If we're coming/going on foot, we use the front door. By car, the garage door. Going to the backyard, there's a different door we use. To complicate matters, you have to go through the garage to get to the basement laundry room.

The kitchen is between those 3 doors in my house, so it always ends up getting dirt tracked through it.

Also, I always seem to get my shoes on and THEN remember that I've forgotten the sling or the diaper bag or something else I need that's elsewhere in the house.
#45 of 62 Old 06-15-2005, 02:00 PM
nym

I'm with Throkmorton. I never knew people didn't take off thier shoes. Here even the cable guy takes off his shoes. You don't ask, people just automatically take off their shoes..

In FSJ where I lived before, In the spring breakup, because the ground is all clay, and everyone works in the oilfield you have to take off your shoes/work boots to enter doctors offices, insurance places etc. They will not allow you to track clay mud into the building. There are racks, and baskets of disposible slippers everywhere. This only is in the winter/spring though, not in summer when it is dry.
#46 of 62 Old 06-15-2005, 07:42 PM

We take off our shoes and ask people who come in to do the same. Some look at us like we're weird. I don't want any remnants of Lord-knows-what from people's shoes...esp. pesticides, poop, etc.

cindi
#47 of 62 Old 06-16-2005, 02:23 PM

We take off our shoes by the door. There is a little alcove like space by the stairs where we put them. People usually follow our lead when they come in with us. Plus, if they see shoes side by side by the door, they usually clue in to the idea. When they see the shoes, they say something like, "Oh, do I need to take my shoes off?" I say, "Yeah, if you don't mind." and it hasn't really been a big deal for people.

But, if they don't clue in, I have asked, "Would you mind taking your shoes off?" if they are walking around or staying a while. Hope this helps!

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#48 of 62 Old 06-17-2005, 12:34 PM

Where does everyone get the slippers, how many & what sizes?
#49 of 62 Old 06-27-2005, 11:10 PM

Jen, I was about to post the exact same thing!!

There are so many styles of slippers, I was curious what these mamas have found to work best.

We, too, are a no shoes household. My mom used to tease us for it. Then, she pulled up all her nasty-ass beige carpet and had her oak floors refinished last year. Now, they're a no shoes house, too. She bought my grandfather slippers as a Christmas present, since he complained about removing his shoes. He loved them and insisted on taking them home as daily slippers....not that my grandparents have a no shoes house. Sheesh.
#50 of 62 Old 06-28-2005, 12:58 AM

No shoes here either. My h is Canadian and I am English, I had never heard of not wearing shoes in the house untill I went to Canada. Now We are in Colorado and some people do, some don't, its funny, I'm always quietly horrified when someone doesn't remove their shoes.

My Mum hates it and brings indoor only shoes when she comes to stay.

Lisa: Homeschooling Mum of ds, 8 and dd, 6
#51 of 62 Old 06-28-2005, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyDOK
We are finally moving and we've decided that we're going to take our shoes off inside. What did you use to store shoes in? A basket, just on the floor in a pile, a mudroom bench? I want to know what works for you. This will be our first experience doing this. I saw some mudroom benches on-line that also have baskets for mittens and such? What do you think? Thanks!
Where did you find mudroom benches on-line? I guess I can Google to find some, but I wondered if you found any that you were interested in.

We have one of those wire shoe hanging things inside our coat closet, which is right by the entryway. When we come into the house, we take off our shoes and proceed to hang them up right away. I hate having mud tracked around the house. I would LOVE a mudroom bench, but a mudroom would be even cooler. Maybe someday!

Oh, and I have a basket near the doorway for our mittens, hats, etc. Love it, it works like a charm.

Teresa
#52 of 62 Old 06-28-2005, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Now, ladies, What would Flylady say?? :LOL :LOL :LOL

Whatever will be, already is...

#53 of 62 Old 06-28-2005, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedK
Now, ladies, What would Flylady say?? :LOL :LOL :LOL
LOL! And that's just one of the reasons I no longer follow FlyLady. I hate being told that I should wear shoes in order to clean. I actually do a better job of cleaning if I don't have my shoes on. I do, however, wear some very comfy slippers.

Teresa
#54 of 62 Old 07-02-2005, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebakedgoods
Where did you find mudroom benches on-line? I guess I can Google to find some, but I wondered if you found any that you were interested in.

Teresa
I found some at LL Bean, decorator's outlet and other places online. Some are cuter than others......

THanks everyone for all their suggestions. I think this will work for us!
#55 of 62 Old 07-06-2005, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
This is where we keep our shoes. It doubles as a place to sit while putting shoes on and triples as a hiding spot for 3 year olds who don't want to go to bed. He hasn't figured out that the shoe pile he creates infront of it in order to make room for himself is tipping us off about where he is :LOL My husband built them (theres another on the other side of the closet) in less than an hour out of scrap plywood & a piano hynge.
#56 of 62 Old 07-22-2005, 01:44 PM

We generally don't wear shoes in the house, but it's not like it's a rule. We keep the shoes on a rag rug in the mudroom. I like the rug under the shoes because then you can shake it out and wash it periodically.

We all have "house shoes" (slippers/flip flops/wool clogs,etc...) we wear in the house. In the summertime we go barefoot a lot too.

I rarely ask guests to remove their shoes because I have a friend who does this and when I leave I have to put my feet with pet hairy, gritty socks back in my shoes which seems gross to me. If I'm in my own home I can change socks if they get dirty, but this typically isn't an option when you're at someone elses's place. I guess if my house were always immaculately clean I would be okay with asking people to remove their shoes, but it definitely isn't!

I like the idea of having slippers to offer people. I have done this a few times with our own house shoes when people have removed their shoes on their own.

edit: I forgot to say ITA with the pp who thought the remark in the etiquette column about Japan not winning the war was offensive. Ugh.
#57 of 62 Old 07-26-2005, 12:04 PM

Wow, I never knew people take their shoes off in their own house or the house of others. My Mom is a shoe addict, she wears them almost 24 hours a day, only taking them off right before getting into bed, and as a result her toes are all curled and pointed in different directions. I can see how much more nice and comfy it would be to just wear slippers in the house, I'll try it too!
#58 of 62 Old 07-26-2005, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyDOK
We are finally moving and we've decided that we're going to take our shoes off inside. What did you use to store shoes in? A basket, just on the floor in a pile, a mudroom bench? I want to know what works for you. This will be our first experience doing this. I saw some mudroom benches on-line that also have baskets for mittens and such? What do you think? Thanks!
We never wear shoes inside! Shoes are SO uncomfortable to me (and I guess to the rest of my family as well!) that they come off the moment we walk through the door. We wear them as little as possible outside the house too.

We have 1 pair of "everyday" shoes for all of us - sandals in the summer, warmer ones in winter - and then we have dress or special occasion shoes. The everyday shoes for each season get lined up neatly in the back entryway when we come in - max of 5 pairs, one for each person. Then we also have inside our coat closet by the front door a shoe rack and door-hanging shoe storage bag for out of season shoes and dress/special occasion shoes. If one or more of us comes in wearing those shoes, we have to walk them to the coat closet to put away, instead of just setting them inside the door like the everyday shoes.

Works for us!
#59 of 62 Old 07-26-2005, 02:02 PM

No shoes inside here either - grew up in the UK, where that seems to be the custom.

We have a boot tray in the front hall for the winter boots, and keep the dog walking shoes out as well. All other shoes go in the closet. In the winter I have a stash of thick socks that I offer to people when they visit...I'm happy to go barefoot most of the time, but then I have really gnarly feet!

Seems to be common sense here though as well - there is snow on the ground for 5 months of the year, and no-one wants to wear their winter boots in the house. I just don't think it's good for your feet to wear closed in shoes all of the time either, kwim? They need to breathe.....and I like to be able to see my toenail polish
#60 of 62 Old 07-29-2005, 01:22 AM

We've always had a rule no shoes in the house - BUT ... since we've moved, and this house is mostly all hard floors [real slate as you walk in, and ridged rubber tread on the stair risers - beach house - and wood floor in the family room - we seem to wear shoes on the hard surfaces, and not on the carpet. It's really hard on your feet to go barefoot all the time on tile and hard floors! I need belt-sanders for my callouses, LOL! Anyway - I am *very* anti-shoe inside the home - and *always* take off my shoes when walking on other people's carpet, at least. Think of the road dirt and oils and gasoine and dog poop etc. that your shoes pick up - ICK!

Now - guests are another matter - *especially* now that the entire house isn't carpeted, it's more difficult to get them to take their shoes off just for going into a single room - kwim?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page