Best non-material gift?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-02-2005, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is the best non-material gift you have ever received or ever been given (or just heard of)?
I'm trying to think ahead for my family's 'birthday season' (15+ b-days in 2 mos!). We often give $$ gifts too each others favourite charity, but I miss getting to be creative with gift giving. I also make jam and bake stuff with dd for gifts but am looking for cool ideas I haven't thought of that would be suitable for crunchy family members and non-chrunchy ones
Also things I can suggest to family so we don't get more #$&&!! stuff
#2 of 12 Old 07-03-2005, 02:57 AM

www.heifer.org

I exchange heifer gifts with my bro's family at xmas time. It is a really cool idea

Good luck!

Lo
#3 of 12 Old 07-03-2005, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Oh that looks cool and exactly the sort of thing I am hoping to find. My friend showed me an adopt a sloth progam http://www.ogphoto.com/slothrescuecenter/adopt.htm. which was a fun gift for my type "A" bil
#4 of 12 Old 07-04-2005, 02:08 AM

The best gifts I ever gave (and were given) were "coupons" for 1 hour of housework, 1 back rub etc. Service type gifts that the other person could cash in. I'm thinking for family you could do babysitting, meals, housework, "dates"....hmm....lots of things you can do!
#5 of 12 Old 07-04-2005, 10:58 PM

Give the receiver a frozen meal that you can cook that the gift getter loves. When delivering it, bring a ready to eat one and one to put in the freezer.

A membership to a musuem, zoo etc

A car wash gift certificate

A baby sitting gift

Gas gift certificate

Offer to do a project you can do, but the receiver would not be able to- such as are you handy, can you sew, cook a few meals ahead of time etc

We gave my IL's for xmas- we put up tile as a back splash in their kitchen. They picked the tile, we bought it and dh installed it.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#6 of 12 Old 07-09-2005, 06:00 PM

Jars of mixes for hot chocolate, teas, and coffees. There were great!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#7 of 12 Old 07-10-2005, 03:22 PM

I'd say for younger kids gifts to their education funds are good.
Or driving lessons, a balroom dancing lesson, cooking class, wine tasting.

Gift certificates are good but for things like food, everyone can use a night they can order a pizza guilt free, or it will encourage them to go out with hubby for a night out (you can give babysitting too).

A free afternoon to help a woman go through her closet and org. give away the old stuff is also a nice gift as husbands usually are not helpful in is this out of date?

Or help painting a room, help moving (there's a great one

Or pay a bill for them like one month free cable, bus pass etc. The gas coupon is a great idea gas is so expensive now! Movie passes or rental coupons. Haircut/colour, etc.

I think the best gifts are normal things the person wouldnt' give themselves permission to do or not to that level.

8 might be enough
#8 of 12 Old 07-10-2005, 03:38 PM

I like the jar gifts idea too, you can find soup, bread and chili recipes too.

For X-Mas I bought some tote bags from the craft store and painted the kids hands and they put their hand prints on them. But I guess that falls in the material range!
#9 of 12 Old 07-10-2005, 03:51 PM

Oh, that's easy My inlaws gave me a year of housekeeping services. I think I'm getting it again this year. HOORAY

How about movie tickets and gift certs for popcorn and drinks?

Tickets to a show at the performing arts center?

Boat cruise?

Babysitter certificate and dinner out?
#10 of 12 Old 07-10-2005, 05:39 PM

how about homemade paper? it's easy and fun to make and the kids can get involved too. the other thing i liked my sister gave my kids was adopting an animal through WWF and my mom gave the kids A Gift of Water through UNICEF that meant clean water for a someone else. one other organization has (can't remember right now) those gifts you can buy like bunnies or hens or a goat, or an olive tree etc for someone else in a third world country and the prices are reasonable i think starting at $25 upwards of over $1000 if you want to buy a barn full of animals.

mandi

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

#11 of 12 Old 07-14-2005, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My favorite gift is a giftcard to a local spa. I love getting massages and would never spend the $ on it myself. If the massage is too expensive, just pay for part of it. It's much easier to justify pampering for yourself if someone's already paid for part of it. :LOL

Spiral Chrissy, loving my life treehugger.gifread.gifhippie.gif, Mama to DS bouncy.gif (8/6/03), wife to DH guitar.gif, and hoping for another little bean dust.gifnamaste.gif
#12 of 12 Old 07-18-2005, 02:03 AM

Massage gift certificates. Grocery store and restaurant gift certificates. Mother Earth News magazine subscription. Cash.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page