Wood or plastic? If MotherEarth could choose... - Mothering Forums
The Mindful Home > Wood or plastic? If MotherEarth could choose...
Boobs's Avatar Boobs 10:59 PM 07-16-2005
So I was hanging clothes out when I got to thinking. My mil's clothespins are plastic. Mine are wood. Which is the more environmentally friendly? The plastic ones make me imagine big, air and water polluting factories and the wood ones make me picture bulldozers clearing trees. I expand this question to all ordinary household objects. Wood=trees Plastic=chemicals
What's the better choice?

melissa17s's Avatar melissa17s 12:40 AM 07-17-2005
Wood is renewable. Plastic is a petroleum product.
AngelBee's Avatar AngelBee 10:43 PM 07-21-2005
Wood.
lynsage's Avatar lynsage 10:47 PM 07-21-2005
i doubt mother earth would choose plastic since she didn't make it and she can't take it back into herself when people discard it!
Spock's Avatar Spock 10:55 PM 07-21-2005
I would think that wood is better because I think it's more durable than plastic and will need to be replaced less often. I think that would offset any damage that is done from cutting down trees to get the wood.
EmsMom's Avatar EmsMom 01:33 AM 07-22-2005
I would say wood. I think Mother Nature might also suggest trying to find some used clothespins here or there (ask older neighbors, yard sales, etc., even e-bay). They are all over the place...
anamama's Avatar anamama 10:56 AM 08-02-2005
I bought a gigantic bag of used clothespins at an antique mall for $5. Some of them are Bakelite (precursor of plastic)- very cool. Has anyone else noticed, too, that it is hard to find new wooden clothespins that aren't made in China?
Gunter's Avatar Gunter 12:22 AM 08-15-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamama
I bought a gigantic bag of used clothespins at an antique mall for $5.
Me, too! I bought a small box full of old school wooden clothes pins at the flea market about two months ago. They are the ones that do not have a hinge. Inititally, for craft projects...but now that I might move to a place where I can actually HAVE a clothes line, I am excited to use them! (My suburban neighborhood's covenants do not allow clothes lines of any sort. I do hang clothes over the sides of the back deck though.)
srain's Avatar srain 01:16 PM 08-15-2005
I don't know- I've read some studies that found that logging uses at least as much fossil fuels as producing plastics-
Electra375's Avatar Electra375 04:49 PM 08-22-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by srain
I don't know- I've read some studies that found that logging uses at least as much fossil fuels as producing plastics-
In which case -- buying used, thereby recycling either plastic or wood makes a good argument for the best choice.
Up