has anyone replaced windows?... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-19-2005, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
themselves?
We're renovating our basement (to make more living space and another bedroom) but we want to upgrade the windows first.

We've priced it out and it will be over $400.00 to have 5 small windows installed. (which is about the price of 2 and 3/4 windows, btw)

I've looked into it and it seems relatively do-able. Dh and I reno'd our bathroom in our last house - completely! tub/sink/toilet/plumbing/etc.

I think we're up for it but I just wanted to see if anyone else has done it and hear your stories (good and bad)

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2005, 11:02 PM

We replaced a window with a door, it was about a 2 day job, but then we also have 2 small children. It wasn't too hard really, however we are looking into window replacement and are just going to hire people, since we are having so many done I want them done right, besides if I am paying for low E windows I don't want to have cracks on the sides.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
Old 07-20-2005, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for replying!

I hear what you're saying about not wanting cracks. Sometimes I think I should just bite the bullet and pay for installation. It ends up being some sort of insurance in case they get installed incorrectly.

But $400.00 would cover the cost of my single pane-built-in-1950-no-screen-draft-from-hell kitchen window.

AAACK!

Well, I still have time to think about it.

Thanks again for replying!

laura
Old 07-20-2005, 06:46 PM

I know it's such a hard call, we have yet to do the window replacement, it will be 550 dollars a window for us ouch, but we have huge windows and they need to be tempered.

Like I said I do think it's doable job, they make this spray foam insulation, that is just way cool and it really sealled the door. I guess for me it's coming down to time and the fact that we had to do some really funky trim around the door so from the outside it looked done, I don't want all the windows in the house to have that much trim.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
Old 07-20-2005, 06:56 PM

If you decide to do the renovation yourelf. Please remember to take Lead Abatement precautions. Window frames are a huge source of lead paint dust and contamination. You should be able to get free information for home renovation and precautions from you local city and county govt.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:56 AM

What kind of windows are you installing? Are they energy efficient...if so, what brand?

Thanks!

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:53 PM

My dh has done some. We are gradually replacing the crappy, leaky, triple-track windows in our house with Andersons. We just ordered a new Anderson atrium door to replace the leaky sliders that are there. The slider is so bad, it's like having a giant hole in the wall all winter, and I figure the atrium door will pay for itself in two years of heating bills.

Dh hasn't had much problem doing the ground floor windows where the house has siding. He takes the windows right down to the original frame, so that the replacements aren't smaller than the originals. We do have one in the front where the house has brick siding, and he may have to pay someone to do that.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:17 AM

I am looking for something affordable and not too expensive. Any recomendations?

Also, anyone know of windows with solar panels built in to them?

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I am looking for something affordable and not too expensive.
Honestly, I'd go for top quality and replace them as you can afford it if you think you'll be in the house for any length of time. I've lived in too many houses with cheap windows and it isn't worth it.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

We just had an energy evaluation on our home and found out that to improve the energy useage in your home, the windows dont matter that much.

If you have a cold/drafty home, its better $ to upgrade your insulation and stop drafts than to get new windows, no matter how well made. And our windows are the original (50+years)! Not to mention its winter 10 months out of 12....

We thought thats where we were losing all of our heat in the winter and cool in the summer. Thank goodness before we found out before ordering the windows. Now we can spend half the cost and increase our effiency by 35% as opposed to the 2% that the windows would of brought.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:01 PM

We paid for the windows and installation, I couldn't have been happier. We purchased very energy effiecent windows, 32, plus 1 sliding glass door and 1 front door which included aluminum trim around the outside of all our windows and doors. We also replaced our siding and got new shutters at the same time. The cost as you can imagine for that required a 2nd mortgage, but the long term benefits have been super energy saving with the prices going up every year since then. Additionally they are guarenteed for life. We've had the company come out and replace a screen for free, the cats got to it -- no questions asked!!! The guy told us if our kids put a ball throught the window they would replace it -- free. (Long Fence and Home, incase someone was wondering)

Why I'm glad my dh didn't attempt to do it? He'd still be doing it!!! Our master bath has been under renovation since the last week in Aug last year, no toilet, no sink, just 2X4 walls studs and a new soaker tub for the longest time. He actually got the tile going up this past week.

He did replace a window with a door. It took 2 days to cut through the brick, then a few more to set the door, it still isn't finished. It functions, it just isn't finished off.

The price to pay someone to install the windows may be worth it in the long run. Is there a guarentee they will do the job right? Will they make good on their work? (You know, if it leaks around the frame kind of thing and causes damage before repairs are made).

User Tag List