keeping warm in winter - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-10-2005, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know it's early, but I just moved from the south to the midwest and I know it's going to be a big change. Before a scarf was just an accessory . I'm looking for advice on keeping my apartment warm plus keeping my dd and myself warm outside, especially when waiting for the school bus. I'm looking into warm packs made from stuff (rice or buckwheat?) that you can throw in the microwave. I also want to warm the bed up at bedtime. Would an electric blanket be bad if I just unplugged it when we went to bed?

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#2 of 4 Old 08-10-2005, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am very cold natured! In the winter I sleep with socks, leggings and long sleeve shirts because then cling to my body and hold more heat in. I have yet to find a "cap" that will stay on so heat doesn't escape from my head but I do make sure I have a pillow against the top of my head.

Extra layers, warm drinks, keep moving, candles give the illusion of warmth.
#3 of 4 Old 08-13-2005, 02:49 AM
cjr

A down duvet is the best for cold winter nights. I don't know what I did before we got ours. It's awsome.

Always wear sock. When your feet are cold, you are cold. Nice thick wool socks for walking around the house does wonders at keeping you warm.

Keep your head and face covered when you go outside. A nice wool hat and scarf is essential. Make sure the hat covers the ears. A jacket that goes down below your bum is much warmer then a jacket that stops at the waist. Snow pants are essential for little people and you can pick up some good ones really cheap at the second hand clothing store. Warm boots. It's worth the extra expense to get good quality warm boots (the cold feet thing). Mittens and not gloves, fingers get cold in gloves but in mittens they keep each other warm. If you can knit then that's the best.

Personally I think warmers are a pain. Just good dry warm clothing is the best. Always keep your heat and feet warm and you will be warm. Lots of hot tea helps too, and hot baths. I seem to want a bath almost nightly in the winter.
#4 of 4 Old 08-22-2005, 04:16 PM

I don't see a problem with heating the bed up before slipping in -- I've wanted to do this since we graduated out of our waterbed during my 2nd pregnancy.

Dry warm clothes, cotton socks hold moisture and make your feet colder -- wool absorbs the moisture away from your skin. I wish I could find wool underwear, I sweat there and pulling on cooled off damp panties is oh so gross, I just carry extra underwear with me to change.

Too tight shoes can cause your feet to have decreased blood flow and be cold. Be sure your shoes are wide enough for your feet. I have leather closed toed birks I wear in the winter, I reserve my snow boots for snow -- they really aren't that warm. My leather sneakers are pretty good too -- wool sox are the key though for sweaty feet.

Leather gloves lined with a thermal fabric are the warmest I've had. The wind just can't penitrate through leather. A good hat and scarf are a must, the more areas of your body that are covered well, the less cold you will be. If wind can go through your coat and give you a chill, it's not a good coat IMO !

You can reduce your energy cost as well, by being sure your windows and doors close and seal well. If they are super drafty, they make plastic sheething to put on them, it seals on somehow -- we did it long ago before new windows. I wouldn't suggest doing this if you have new furniture or carpets (they give off toxic gases for a time and closing up tight would not be a good idea).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page