USAA members -- call and get your money -- - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 08-16-2005, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Fifty bucks a kid, no paperwork, no receipts, one quick phone call$$$$

BTW, I asked Darshani for permission before posting this, and she OK'd it. She suggested Mindful Home Management but said another moderator may move it to another location.

USAA members only. http://www.usaa.com has details on eligibility for membership, etc. Basically, if you or a spouse or a parent or former spouse have been in the military, you may have a chance of joining.

For members who have car insurance through USAA, USAA will give rebates of fifty dollars per child for car seats. The great thing is, you could have purchased the car seat several years ago and lost the receipt. No paperwork is required. Just call, give your kids' birthdates, and they will send you a check.

USAA
1-800-531-8080
Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. - 8 p.m. CT
Saturday, 8 a.m. - 7 p.m. CT

Only one rebate per child, but members who are grandparents may also claim the rebate. For example, I have two children, ages 1 and 3. I threw away their carseat receipts soon after purchase. I was too disorganized to file for the rebate. But all I had to do was call USAA and tell my children's names and ages and they are sending a check for one hundred dollars ($50 X 2 kids). My father is also a USAA member, but if he had purchased car seats, he would not have been able to claim the rebate because it is only one rebate per child and I had already claimed the rebate for both of my children. If he beat me to it, or if I did not have car insurance through USAA, my father could have called and asked for the rebate.

This has now worked for several other families, and all report slightly different experiences. They didn't ask me anything other my kids' birthdates and names. They asked my sister some questions about her plans to save for the kids' college, and she told them she didn't have time to talk and could they mail something instead and they just said "sure, your check will arrive in seven to ten business days." One other mama reported that they asked for her kids' SSN, but she said she didn't have them so they just said Ok.

I hope this works for some of you.

ETA: Happygrl6 on these boards reports that she obtained the rebate even though she does not have USAA car insurance. She is a member and had accounts with USAA. So you may want to check that angle, too.
#2 of 44 Old 08-16-2005, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

I just opened the mail and had a check for one hundred dollars!

I was looking at it and a neighbor called to thank me because she just opened her mail and got her check for fifty dollars!

So go ahead and call, it can't hurt, and you may get a check, too!
#3 of 44 Old 08-16-2005, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just want to chime in and say that I have $150 coming for my three kids!

All I gave them:

Names
Birthdates

That was it. No receipts. I haven't gotten my check as I just filed, but this is the easiest $150 I have ever made!

Thanks for posting this Inez!!

Laura
#4 of 44 Old 08-18-2005, 03:01 PM

WOW! This is so cool. I just called and gave them my boys' names, birthdate, and SSNs. She told me you can get three rebates total - one for the infant seat, one for the toddler seat, and one for a booster seat. So she's double-checking to see if I can still get the rebate for the infant seat even though my boys are now in the bigger seat.

I'm so glad I checked this board today!
#5 of 44 Old 08-18-2005, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthchick
She told me you can get three rebates total - one for the infant seat, one for the toddler seat, and one for a booster seat.
WHAT?!? They didn't say that to me!! OY! I need to check with them again...
#6 of 44 Old 08-18-2005, 03:14 PM

She just called back and told me she was incorrect about the three rebates. Sorry 'bout that! A little disappointing, but I'm so happy to get $100 free money!!! Thanks for letting us know about this!
#7 of 44 Old 08-18-2005, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I just called them, my check is in the mail!

Thanks for posting this!

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#8 of 44 Old 08-18-2005, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, so far that makes one dozen mamas getting checks in the mail for amounts ranging from fifty to one hundred and fifty dollars just for making a quick phone call! My sister, two of my neighbors, and I already received our checks! Please spread the word.

I wonder if we can get this moved to Talk Amongst Ourselves so that more mamas can get in on the deal?
#9 of 44 Old 08-18-2005, 03:43 PM

I just did this! Thanks so much for posting about this!

It was very quick and easy--they did not ask me for DS' SSN--although they had his info already, I think because he is listed as a beneficiary on our life insurance policy. It was easy as pie! The rep I spoke with said we should keep them in mind if we have any questions about saving for college or retirement and that was it--no sales pitch.
#10 of 44 Old 08-18-2005, 05:42 PM

I did this too - so easy and I got my $50 in a week!

what a good company USAA is. they never seem to charge me fees of any kind either,on my credit card and checking with them
#11 of 44 Old 08-18-2005, 06:36 PM

My car insurance is safeco so do I not qualify? also I have a grandchild who is two months old and my youngest child is almost one.Sincerely,second life mommy AFB in Idaho
#12 of 44 Old 08-18-2005, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

This is for members of USAA who have car insurance with USAA. They do not provide rebates to people who do not have car insurance through them. However, perhaps you could contact your own insurance company and ask about rebates.
#13 of 44 Old 08-18-2005, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy37
My car insurance is safeco so do I not qualify? also I have a grandchild who is two months old and my youngest child is almost one.Sincerely,second life mommy AFB in Idaho
Darcy, you may want to re-read my original post carefully because it explains the grandparent angle in some detail with an example to illustrate. I don't know enough about your specific situation. You do have to be a member of USAA and have car insurance with USAA to claim the rebate. Since you have car insurance with a different company, you cannot claim the rebate. If your grandchildren's parents have car insurance through USAA, they can claim the rebate.
#14 of 44 Old 08-18-2005, 06:50 PM

I called about a month ago and they couldn't do it over the phone, but sent me the form...I filled it out and mailed it back, but no check yet.
#15 of 44 Old 08-18-2005, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Luvmyboys, they just changed it so you can do the whole thing on the phone. I would follow up on it if I were you. Maybe it got lost in the shuffle during the change.
#16 of 44 Old 08-19-2005, 03:03 AM

We've used USAA for years, and in general I like them quite a lot.

But recently, they asked me my dd's SSN, like it was matter-of-fact, required information. I asked if that was necessary, and why. It's not. They just wanted it. So that irks me that they were going to just keep such important personal information on file, just for the heck of it.

Then the guy relented that he guesses I don't have to give him dd1's SSN, but I will need to give him the baby's SSN when it's born. Why? Well, for the carseat rebate, of course!

No thanks.
#17 of 44 Old 08-19-2005, 10:03 AM

Thank you! I called USAA. They asked for my USAA number, verified that it was for my dd that we have on our policy, and said the reimbursement would be arriving in the mail.

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**
#18 of 44 Old 08-19-2005, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by umbrella
We've used USAA for years, and in general I like them quite a lot.

But recently, they asked me my dd's SSN, like it was matter-of-fact, required information. I asked if that was necessary, and why. It's not. They just wanted it. So that irks me that they were going to just keep such important personal information on file, just for the heck of it.

Then the guy relented that he guesses I don't have to give him dd1's SSN, but I will need to give him the baby's SSN when it's born. Why? Well, for the carseat rebate, of course!

No thanks.
Umbrella, did this just happen or was this some time ago in relation to something else?
#19 of 44 Old 08-19-2005, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
They didn't ask for DS' SSN when I called them, just his name and birthdate.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#20 of 44 Old 08-19-2005, 10:40 AM

We had to give our son's SSN to put him on our life insurance as a beneficiary.
#21 of 44 Old 08-19-2005, 11:15 AM

Thanks for posting this. I hadn't done the rebate yet b/c I had lost the receipt...called this AM and no problem!

Also the rep told me the rebate is available online as well.

ETA: the rebate information is online but it just tells you to call the number above. you can't actually file the rebate request online. sorry
#22 of 44 Old 08-19-2005, 03:19 PM

I found out why I haven't gotten my rebate...a few years ago they had a similar program only it was less money (either $20 or $25 per car seat) and you had to give them receipts as well as UPC codes off the boxes...back then you could get the rebate every year as long as you had all that information. That is how I knew about the program and called about a month ago. Anyhow, the rules have changed and although you no longer have to provide all that other information you can only get the rebate once per child per lifetime. I am :, I know it isn't an entitlement, but we did just buy new car seats and I was all prepared to mail all that junk in again to help offset the costs. I think I am more : over the fact that no one called or wrote to say why we weren't getting a rebate.
#23 of 44 Old 08-20-2005, 08:30 PM

We just started having USAA after moving to a new area (best package deal), and bought all our carseats before having USAA. I'm really unsure about that being retroactive like that. Any thoughts? (We could have had USAA at any time; Dad was an officer).
#24 of 44 Old 08-20-2005, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Bekka, that's up to you and your conscience, I guess. Or you could just ask them up front if it is OK.
#25 of 44 Old 08-26-2005, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Well, have any of you received your checks? I sort of want to keep this thread alive so that other mamas will be sure to see it.
#26 of 44 Old 08-26-2005, 01:17 PM

Bekka, I agree with inezyv that it is up to you and your conscience, but I thought I'd add my opinion on it.
IMO, you are a USAA member now and so I don't see why you wouldn't be entitled to the rebate as well; it is a USAA member benefit. You could look at as reimbursement for the carseats you did purchase. As luvmy3boys said, the rules are now that you can only get the rebate once per child per lifetime.
Also do you have car seats or booster seats? The rebate applies to either, so if you only have car seats now you could justify it to yourself by taking the rebate and saving it to use to buy booster seats when the time comes. Hope that helps give some thoughts for your decision.

Inezyv As for my rebate, I haven't gotten it yet, but it's only been a week. Mail takes a little longer to get to me being overseas. I'll post when I do receive it. I have spread the word to some mamas here in the area, but I don't know whether they have followed up on it yet.

#27 of 44 Old 08-26-2005, 04:16 PM

Got mine yesterday.
#28 of 44 Old 08-31-2005, 06:56 PM

Got mine today!

And DH says it's all for me to do with as I will, since I took the time to call and get it.

inezyv: Thanks so much for letting me know about this!!!! I'm still spreading the word to other mamas here.

#29 of 44 Old 08-31-2005, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Yay! I wonder if the mods will let us mention this with a link on Talk Amongst Ourselves so that eligible mamas can decide if they would like to get some checks in the mail.
#30 of 44 Old 08-31-2005, 07:09 PM

We got ours! Thanks so much for posting about this, I never would have known otherwise!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page