Toddler-proofing extremely low stove? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-11-2005, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, everyone. I'm going to be cross posting this with toddlers, as I'm not sure if it's a toddler or stove question. Hope that's all right.

It looks like we'll be moving into a new house soon that is great in almost every respect (we're in a small apartment now, and it's got a great yard, for example), but it has this bizarrely low stove in the kitchen. I don't remember for sure if it's removable, and if so we will just switch it out with a new one, but I believe it is built-in. I have a just-turned-3-year-old as well as an almost-1-year-old, so this is obviously a big concern for me.

Of course my first line of defense would be to just try to keep the kids out of the kitchen, and my first thought is a gate of some kind. However, there really isn't a doorway, and although I know they make "wide spaces" gates, don't those need to be screwed into the wall? I don't know if we'll be allowed to do that, as this is a rental. (And rentals are SO hard to find in this area. We've been in an apartment for months because the only other houses were over $1000 a month and not fit to live in. This is only $750 and a really nice house in a really nice part of town. There were over 50 other families competing for it, just after the couple days it was advertised.) Anyway, any suggestions about gating?

Also, I've been thinking about getting some kind of burner covers so that if a child did make it into the kitchen, there'd be that barrier, buying me a little more time to notice what was going on and put a stop to it. Looking online, I see metal ones (obviously not a good choice), ceramic, and porcelain. What would be the poorest conductor of heat?

Any other ideas I'm not thinking of?

Thanks so much for your help!

Mother of three and strong advocate of being KIND to each other. (No one is going to learn how to be a better mother by your telling her she makes you want to throw up.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2005, 02:01 PM

If I were you I'd just take the knobs off when the stove isn't being used, that way you have no worries...
Old 09-11-2005, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmace
If I were you I'd just take the knobs off when the stove isn't being used, that way you have no worries...
LOL I knew there was a reason I asked for help from you all. Don't know why I didn't think of that. I suppose between taking knobs off and getting burner covers for immediately after stove was used, things would be pretty well taken care of.

Do knobs always come off? This is a really weird stove, and I don't remember if it had stanrdard knobs or not.

Mother of three and strong advocate of being KIND to each other. (No one is going to learn how to be a better mother by your telling her she makes you want to throw up.)
Old 09-11-2005, 03:29 PM

I don't know if they *always* come off, but I've never seen a stove that they didn't! Good luck!
Old 09-11-2005, 03:38 PM

The last house I was in had buttons on the side of the stove, it was goofy and I was always checking to make sure someone hadn't bumped it on. I saw something I think it was called stoveguard, at toys r us, it was a plastic guard that sticks out off of the top of the stove and made it nearly impossible for a small child to reach the stove itself.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I hate those stupid buttons. I can't remember where we had them but i was forever pushing them. but I think ours were on the back of the stove and not the front.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

User Tag List