Help me decide which house to take! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-11-2005, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I have been in an apartment with our 2 little ones (just turned 3 and almost 1) for months now because we have been unable to find a decent house. Now we have been offered 2 different houses (to rent), which is completely unprecedented! Neither is perfect, but either would be better than our current situation (as far as I know!). I just posted a different thread about a low stove in one of these houses. But the other house has its own unique problems. Please help me weight the pros and cons! If we pick the wrong one, we'll likely be stuck there for a long time. Housing is TERRIBLE here right now and it could be years before we find something better.

House A:

pros:

less than a mile from work
Very cute exterior
great neighborhood (this is actually the very same block I walk to and walk around and around when I walk the kids in the stroller because it's so shady)
I LOVE the back yard
normal layout of rooms
easy to get jogging stroller in/out

cons:
$150 more a month
bizarrely low stove (worried about toddler)
less space than other house
outside laundry room
bathroom isn't as nice
farther away from nearest park (6 or 7 blocks)
anal landlord

House B:

pros:
$150 less a month
this house is HUGE
beautiful bathroom
inside washer and dryer hookups
normal stove, nicer kitchen and dining room
1 block away from park

cons:
butt-ugly exterior (sorry, but it's true)
weird layout
a couple miles farther away from work, probably not practical to walk (because of time constraints)
4 or 5 stairs between living room and kitchen (worried about toddler)
neighborhood isn't quite as nice (still not bad)
back yard isn't as nice
Kitchen drawers pull right out
Landlords hire pest control to regularly spray all their houses, and I'm not sure if I can talk them out of having our house sprayed, and even if I do, it's been sprayed regularly
house has been unlived in (used for storage for the landlords) for years, I believe
harder to get jogging stroller in/out

I guess with house A I most like the yard and location and worry most about the stove. With house B, I most like the huge amount of room but am most worried about both pests (from not being lived in) and pesticides (which I don't want my children exposed to), as well as the stairs

Thoughts? Thanks so much, everyone!

Mother of three and strong advocate of being KIND to each other. (No one is going to learn how to be a better mother by your telling her she makes you want to throw up.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2005, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

I cross-posted this in the toddlers forum and got a ton of responses. Must be more traffic over there this morning. We went ahead and decided on house A. This is the house with the stove issues, so any thoughts on that topic are still more than welcome. I've got another thread here about that.

Mother of three and strong advocate of being KIND to each other. (No one is going to learn how to be a better mother by your telling her she makes you want to throw up.)
Old 09-12-2005, 02:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen White

House A:
cons:
$150 more a month thats kinda aot
bizarrely low stove (worried about toddler) that is weird but could you raise it some how? probably was handicap acessable
less space than other house this is a big one for me. I like space if I can get it
outside laundry room what!!?!!
bathroom isn't as nice our current house a crappy tiny bathroom and that isa top priority for me now, haveing to bathe three kids.
farther away from nearest park (6 or 7 blocks) parks are good. even with a good backyard you want access to a park but half a mile is nothing.
anal landlord I am an anal landlord. but i have seen worse. decisde if you can live ith it or not.

House B:

pros:
$150 less a month
this house is HUGE
beautiful bathroom
inside washer and dryer hookups
normal stove, nicer kitchen and dining room
1 block away from park

these are pretty amazing pros

cons:
butt-ugly exterior (sorry, but it's true) so what. you aren't buying it
weird layout weird how?
a couple miles farther away from work, probably not practical to walk (because of time constraints)bike? public transit?
4 or 5 stairs between living room and kitchen (worried about toddler) stairs shmairs. they will figure them out and you wilbe much more at ease when you visit somenoe with stairs. My dd has fallen down all 17 of ours and been fine. I would rather of course that she refrain from faling but a couple stair won't be a problem. just be sure to work with her going up and down. it is god to have stair skills. Ihave seen people worry about thier 3 and 4 year olds. they really need ot put them on a stair master and just let them learn to do it or something. anyway my baby was potty trained at 20 minths nad had to race up and down the stairs to get to the bathroom. she did fine. we rarely even used gates. they are a prt of her life and she has learned how to do it safely and thanks to her sisters, not so safely
neighborhood isn't quite as nice (still not bad) this could be to your advantage.
back yard isn't as nice most kids are hapy with any kind of back yard and you could always spruce it up.
Kitchen drawers pull right out this is a simple fix I think. contact your hard ware store. It is as easy as installing a babyproof latch (but more effective)
Landlords hire pest control to regularly spray all their houses, and I'm not sure if I can talk them out of having our house sprayed, and even if I do, it's been sprayed regularly talk to them about it. maybe if you were willing to treat with natrual pest control? this would be a biggie for me. Is this common where you live (when I was in TX it was standard for rentals) If it is be sure and check with the other guy to as he might also do regular pest control and just not have mentioned it.
house has been unlived in (used for storage for the landlords) for years, I believe I see this as a pro I wouldn't worry about pests
harder to get jogging stroller in/out non issues for me.

I guess with house A I most like the yard and location and worry most about the stove. With house B, I most like the huge amount of room but am most worried about both pests (from not being lived in) and pesticides (which I don't want my children exposed to), as well as the stairs

Thoughts? Thanks so much, everyone!

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 09-12-2005, 03:06 AM

I'd love a park 6-7 blocks from me. The walk over there would do my tushy good. LOL
As it is, I can use the playground in a church yard 3 blocks away, or drive a few miles over to the next nearest park but it's dirty. So I walk to the near one, and still have a tushy.

I was going to vote for house A though.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:15 AM

How far do you live from work now? Would you walk/bike to work if you moved to this first place? Is the oven a normal width? Would you consider buying a new oven, then when you buy a house you would already have one. We rent but have to furnish our own appliances. I got my oven from scratch & dent at Lowe's and spent right around $200 including tax. It sounds to me like you are leaning towards the first place and from what you have explained I would prefer it too.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:30 AM

I apologize if my post was taken as offensive. That was not my intention. I merely pointed out what I saw.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for the replies. The main reason we went for house A is the pesticide issue. Even if we were allowed to stop the spraying once we moved in, pesticides have been sprayed at that house for years.

As far as all the other reasons, I guess there are some ways the house is better, but it's just not THAT much better. The bathroom is nicer, but the other one isn't all that bad. It's nice to be a block away from the park, but it's not like we can't walk the 6-7 blocks. In fact, the jogging stroller difficulty would have been much more of an impediment. 6-7 blocks with a double jogging stroller is easier than 1 block without. lol

Oh, and I've gotten so many creative suggestions on dealing with the stove on a thread I posted about it in the toddlers forum that I'm hardly even worried about it anymore. I'm MORE worried about the fact that, in the month of October, DH will be gone a week on a business trip (missng my DD's 1st bday), and when he comes home, we'll be having her birthday party and then immediately moving into our new house. We'll have about a week and a half to settle in, and then we'll be getting on a plane and flying halfway aross the US for a week in Texas with my cousin (this trip has been planned for a year now and we can't reschedule it). What a month this will be!!

Old 09-12-2005, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

No offense taken, Fishygirlsmom!

User Tag List