What are you doing to get ready for winter? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 113 Old 10-10-2005, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
Red

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mmmmm, 26 1/2 pints of raspberry jam are stacked on my shelves. The freezer has a gallon bag of fresh frozen berries.

I still need to get more apples for fruit roll-ups, but it's raining here.

All my leeks aare processed.

I need to buy a rubbermaid container to make my car kits! (we don't drink coffee)
#92 of 113 Old 10-10-2005, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masih_Mama
Ditto! I haven't done anything, but now at least I have some ideas!
Me either... :

I feel so lazy....

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#93 of 113 Old 10-10-2005, 10:01 PM

OK here are my lists...

Completed:

* Fall decluttering! We had a yard sale, donated to Goodwill, and gave bucketloads of things to friends and family!

* Fall cleaning. I even cleaned the ceiling fans.

* Applesauce - done/canned
* Butternut squash puree - done/canned
* Creamed spinach - done/in freezer
* Banana nut bread - done/in freezer
* Anadama bread - done/in freezer

* Ebay / consignment / new winter outerwear for all 3 kids purchased and washed, ready to go. (Can I brag for a second? I got a like new L.L. Bean 18M fleece snowsuit on ebay for $5! )

Running List of Things Left To Do:

* Weed vegetable garden / add compost / hoe into rows to prepare for winter

* Rent a lawn airator (punches those plug thingys) and do the whole lawn

* HollyTone the azaleas.

* Get my bulbs in the ground before Halloween, er, maybe November 15th, ok, by Thanksgiving at the *absolute* latest. :

* Purchase a galvanized boot tray and put it by the front door.

* Dust off Crockpot and gather some good new recipes to try.

* Find some way to thoroughly clean (our one and only) wall-to-wall carpet in the family room without harsh chemicals.
#94 of 113 Old 10-15-2005, 03:07 AM

You ladies have inspired me... I wrote a sort of compliation of all the things in this thread that appeal to me.... I posted it on my blog at http://miiniicooper.blogspot.com/ let me know what you think.... it ended up being very long and I'm not sure I'm done with it but I'm pleased that I have started writing and this thread motivated me to summarize all of your great ideas... please don't be offended if your idea isn't in there... there was no logical selection process... just the things that I could see myself doing or that hit home in the common sense department. Enjoy!
#95 of 113 Old 10-15-2005, 11:14 PM

Woo-hoo! I finally found this thread again. LOL! I lost it for a while..... It turns out my DS and I are moving sooner than I thought (I thought mid November, but we're actually moving Oct 24th... in 9 days!) so I need to start getting prepared! I just bought a cool flashlight last week. No batteries required- you just have to wind it up I'm loving it because I stink at making sure fresh batteries are around. Now I'll always have a flashlight. DS is stocked up on winter clothes and pj's. They're all out and clean. My plan is when I move the TV is finding a new home in the closet. I'm hoping that by getting rid of it I'll find more time to cook and freeze meals and all the other stuff I have plans for but haven't actually done

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#96 of 113 Old 10-16-2005, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minicooper
You ladies have inspired me... I wrote a sort of compliation of all the things in this thread that appeal to me.... I posted it on my blog at http://miiniicooper.blogspot.com/ let me know what you think.... it ended up being very long and I'm not sure I'm done with it but I'm pleased that I have started writing and this thread motivated me to summarize all of your great ideas... please don't be offended if your idea isn't in there... there was no logical selection process... just the things that I could see myself doing or that hit home in the common sense department. Enjoy!
Just wanted to say I did check out your blog and I thought it was beautiful! I loved your photos and the format. Your entry is helpful and I've got some more good ideas! :
#97 of 113 Old 10-16-2005, 08:26 PM

didn't read all the pp, but we are spending every \dime we have to put insulation in our attic, and spending $450 on half a tank of fuel oil.

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)
#98 of 113 Old 10-18-2005, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsmama
What a great idea about the car kit. We always have dipes and wipes in the car, but emergency snax, clean-up supplies, etc., is such a great idea!
It really is. I learned the hard way a few weeks ago.

Picture this: it's the coldest night so far this season--about 41 degrees. Pretty chilly when you're used to sleeping with the windows open. I'd been having some pretty decent problems breathing (I have asthma) and decided at about 4 am that I needed to take a trip to the hospital.

The hospital is about 25 miles away. We're about halfway there--but still in the middle of nowhere--when we blow a tire. And by blow a tire I mean it just kind of imploded on itself. We limped to a side road and pulled over.

Holy crap. No jack. We tried to turn the heat up. The heat wasn't working. Our antifreeze leaks and we hadn't thought to top it off yet, so no heat.

Luckily we were able to get ahold of MIL, who brought us a jack and let the kids sit in her toasty van while dh changed the tire. If we hadn't been able to get ahold of her I don't know what we would have done.

I learned a lesson. Extra blankets, snacks, diapers, cell phone. Luckily the cold air loosened my lungs up.

Homesteading Mama to homeschoolin' kiddos London (10) ; Alexander (8) :; Holden (5) :; and Sergei born at home 8/18/08
#99 of 113 Old 08-16-2006, 11:34 AM

Alright everyone, I'm dusting off this WONDERFUL thread! It's getting to be that time of year again, where the fall seems just around the corner and I am starting to get into canning again!

Here is what I've been doing so far:

* Canning berries (jam, preserves) - 12 jars and counting. We were overflowing with berries there for a while - my kids are getting waaaay too good at picking berries and fruit as they get older! So far, I've made peach, blueberry, and sour cherry.
* Baking and freezing my homemade sourdough and anadama bread
* Planning. Thinking of what I have to do next.

Planning:

* Need to figure out how to can/freeze all the extra veggies I have (will be looking back at this thread too - great stuff about freezing corn if I recall correctly)
* I need to get some larger Bell jars for canning applesauce this fall
* Need to reorganize my pantry. It's gotten away from me again.
* I think we need to do some tree work (ourselves) before winter hits
* I have to get thinking about which bulbs I'm going to buy -- my daffodils need boosting and I would really love some tulips next spring, PITA that they are
* I have a big consignment appointment coming up at the childern's consignment store near us that I have to prepare for - I think I have over 50 items to consign so far... also need to go through kids clothes' and figure out what we need for fall/winter
#100 of 113 Old 08-16-2006, 12:02 PM

It already feels like fall here in MN.

I too have begun the planning. I have pretty much all of Olivias winter clothes bought from garage sales this summer. Tonight DH is moving a larger dresser into her room so I can go through and organize them. Also need to get a tote to store summer clothes that are too small.

Need to go through and reorganize kitchen. Possibly declutter old stuff and cut back on gadgets. Oh and stock up on baking supplies.

Wash quilts and winter blankets.

Memo to self need winter PJ's for Olivia...

Find cheap king size flannel sheets for our bed.

Put in our order for 1/4 of beef.

Personally I have never been a canner but am thinking I might try some. I can get 16 ears of sweet corn for $2 from a local farmer. Or he said I can just go and help myself to his field and pay him whatever I felt. So may try freezing some creamed sweet corn. Also I would love to make some homemade salsa.

Need to make my big batch of hot chocolate mix.

Wash winter coats and find hats and mittens.

Get winter car kits ready.

Change out our screens for storm windows.

Caulk around the house.

Check weatherstripping by all doors.

Call neighbor to get some hay bales to stack around dog house and get wood chips for inside dog house.

Really need one weekend, baby free, to fall clean and take out our big throw rugs and beat them and scrub hardwood floors.... we'll see when that happens.

Need to check back to school sales and get DH more work jeans.

I have ALOT to do...
#101 of 113 Old 08-16-2006, 02:27 PM

I shouldnt be looking at this thread yet. It is still very *summer* My tomatoes havent even ripened yet and we are going camping next weekend. Give me another month of summer at least

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#102 of 113 Old 08-17-2006, 12:15 AM

I live in the South and don't really need to winterize. But I grew up in MI and actually loved winter and miss it, so I just read this entire thread because it sounded so nice and cozy.
#103 of 113 Old 08-17-2006, 12:28 AM

I'm going to read this thread!

I was like, huh? It's August!?!

But I live in Southern Indiana now...it doesn't even get very cold here usually.

I have wool sweaters I had from other cold places I have lived and rarely, rarely wear them here. I keep them in case we move somewhere cold again someday.

Around here...people are still wearing shorts in late October!

I love autumn and winter...I envy you getting prepared so early. We still have about a month of hot, sticky weather to get through, then just warm weather...and it may get cold enough for a medium weight jacket by November. Sigh.

I'll have to live vicariously through you all.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#104 of 113 Old 08-17-2006, 01:23 AM

We have another month or two of summer weather left here, but we are kind of gearing up for the winter. My parents are coming to visit in October, and I really want the place to be sparkling and genuinely clean and organized by the time they get here.

We are going through each room and cleaning out the closets (which need a major de-cluttering) and doing some detailed cleaning as well. It'll feel good to have everything clean and de-cluttered when we are indoors most of the day in the wintertime.

I also handwashed all of our winter scarves recently and put them away for the fall. They smell so nice now; can't wait to wear them!

I still haven't used all of the apple chutney I put up next year, so I'm not sure if I'm going to do any canning this year or not.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#105 of 113 Old 08-17-2006, 02:00 AM

This thread reeks of comfort. Yes, that's a good thing. Canning, firewood, wool sweaters, apple pie. You've just summed up the best of my childhood.
#106 of 113 Old 08-17-2006, 11:05 AM

Ooh...I love this thread.

Kitchen-wise, I'm planning to pick up enough tomatoes & peppers at the farmer's market to supplement my paltry little stash from my plants, and make spaghetti sauce & salsa. I also want to make pear butter. I still have peach & blueberry jams & canned pears & plums from the last two years, so won't be doing those.

I found a great sale on locally-grown sweet corn, and put 20 ears in the freezer, along with 5 chopped up cantaloupes for smoothies. I'd love to add some peaches or something to that.

I'm considering ordering a 1/4 beef and possibly a 1/4 hog as well. I've got a new freezer, and I'd love to stock it up!

I need to clean out & organize the closets, particularly the craft closet and my bedroom closet. DD's stuff is pretty well-organized at this point, but it wouldn't hurt to hit it again. The hall closet also needs a clean-out, as it's the crap-catchall in the summer. All of the above will necessitate a big donation trip to Goodwill. A good kitchen cleanout/organization of cabinets wouldn't hurt, either.

The garage needs decluttered and a lot of the cardboard boxes taken to the curb (ditto the basement) and I'll need to sweep out the garage as well. The old refrigerator needs to go down from the garage into the basement, too, so I can park the car in the garage this winter.

Fall cleaning! I need to do a good deep clean of the whole house, wash the windows, wash the kitchen cabinets, oil the woodwork, vacuum out the windowsills, etc.

The painters are coming sometime in the next few weeks to paint my outside trim, which will make the house SO pretty. I can't wait!

Get a quote for some insulation - the upstairs is SO hot in the summer, and drafty in the winter, and I think some insulation in the attic might be just the trick. Or, of course, I could be brave and DIY (which is really more likely.) If I DIY, this will have to wait for fall, as it's oppressively hot still in the attic.

I need to wash the winter bedding & unpack the winter clothes & pack away the summer ones. This will wait until October at least. It's starting to cool off a little here, but we'll still be in summer clothes until mid-September, possibly later.

Phew, this is making me tired just typing it! A lot to do, over the next 2-3 months!

ETA: And I forgot about the garden! I need to transplant perennials, and tear out dead annuals (after frost) and spread mulch, and clear out the southwest flowerbed that I haven't done anything with yet. I need to patch a few places in the yard, too. My bulbs should be good from last year, and my new perennials are on order. Ai yi yi I'll be busy!

crafty mama to Chloe and Emma (10/08) and Piper
emergency medicine PA and single mother by choice
#107 of 113 Old 08-29-2006, 12:54 AM

This thread is wonderful.

I have to reread and make a list to prepare for this winter

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#108 of 113 Old 08-29-2006, 11:09 AM

: I need to make a list for the fall/ winter. We've started some things, but I really don't consider fall to be here til after Labor Day. What I've done so far:

~went through the kids' clothes to see what was needed
~pulled out/ washed the stored clothes for the kids
~sewed DS 4 pair of fleece pants
~inventoried DD's wool pants/ longies
~knit 2 prs longies, working on a 3rd for DD
~pulled out the winter outerwear for the kids/ checked fit
~went peach picking/ canned peach jam/ froze peaches

Still need to:
~go through my clothes/ make a list of stuff needed (I've lost 30lbs since DD was born so I fit into NOTHING)
~go apple picking/ can applesauce/ freeze apples
~put up lined drapes on windows
~get the kids shoes
~store kids outgrown/ out-of-season clothes

That's all I can think of right now. We live in an apt, so I don't have a garden to prepare or anything like that, and winter doesn't get THAT extreme here.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#109 of 113 Old 08-29-2006, 11:49 AM

How on earth do you can salsa? Do you have to cook it?

I make an awesome one, but have always eaten it fresh, cant even imagine trying to preserve it? Is there a way?

Its been COLD at night up here in Maine already! Dh is loving it!! Down to 50s at night, brrrr. Am ready for snuggly sweaters and fires!! (I LOVE AUTUMN!)
#110 of 113 Old 08-29-2006, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferH
RE the window quilts. I've been doing some thinking about this and I came up with an idea that might be a bit cheaper on materials. I hope it works, and I'm going to try it on my living room this weekend to see how it goes.

Get two tension rods that fit on the inside of your window. Cut a piece of fleece (since it doesn't get ratty and it's a good insulator) to fit plus 4" for casings. Sew casings at either end and place on tension rods. During the day the bottom can be rolled up and the rod placed at the middle or near the top to let light in and rolled down and secured at night.

I thought these would be cute in a snowflake print or something that coordinates with your bedrooms. Mine will be hanging under my mini blinds so everyone outside will be able to see them. Right now I have some blankets thrown over my windows in my bedroom to block light and heat/cold but they are ugly and I can't really roll them up during the day to let light in. They work great, but really aren't all that practical.

I'll make one sometime this weekend and see how it fits. If it's successful I'll post pics and a price list for the materials I use.
I am going to try this just to keep light out when dsis sleeping! :
#111 of 113 Old 08-30-2006, 11:16 AM

Canning salsa works great! You do cook it just a little (it needs to be hot) before canning. Cilantro does tend to get weird, though, so if your recipe uses it, you'll want to add that when you serve it. I don't have my recipe with me, but can post it this weekend!

crafty mama to Chloe and Emma (10/08) and Piper
emergency medicine PA and single mother by choice
#112 of 113 Old 08-30-2006, 11:23 AM

getting ready for winter may just become a huge project- We are thinking about moving!
#113 of 113 Old 08-30-2006, 03:40 PM

I love this thread!!!

I've made a list of things I want to do to get ready for fall/winter and I've accomplished a few:

*mashed and froze a gallon of acorn squash and I have another 1-2 gallons to go
*froze 7 jars of crushed tomatoes, several more to go
*pulled the quilts out of the cedar chest and washed
*bought a passel of knit sweaters for ds and just ordered 2 pairs of shoes
*decided on a farm to order 1/4 beef and maybe 1/2 pig but I am waiting for them to email me back with the specifics : and I am getting impatient

Things that we still need to do are get plastic for the windows, seal all the cracks and crevices from the outside of the house, stock up on sweaters for dh and me, transplant flowers, till the veggie garden under once it is finished, go apple picking and can or freeze applesauce.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page