Anyone regret getting rid of internet/Cable TV - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 10-16-2005, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am really considering getting rid of our cable services, TV and internet. I always hate when we use them but keep doing it, I know we would be more creative, learn more and spend more time together, Yeah we would give up some things, Me Oprah and Gilmore Girls, DH sports and DS seasame street, but I think it would be worth it,
Any one done this, what were your thoughts experiences?
( don't worry I'd keep in on MDC at the library)
#2 of 45 Old 10-16-2005, 07:55 AM
Banned

Short answer -- we did it for 2 months, hated it, got it all back. We added the DVR and now watch about 50% of what we used to, plus spend probably 50% less time online. So a hiatus did us good, and the hiatus was a year ago so it has stuck.
#3 of 45 Old 10-16-2005, 10:16 AM

We had a small hiatus also. We could technically live without the tv (DH doesn't think he can :LOL ) but the internet we can NOT. Besides entertainment purposes (and MDC, of course), my older children need something almost daily for schoolwork or to look up times/meetings etc for sports events, cancellations, church functions etc. and it just isn't feasible to run to the library everytime.

We get a HUGE discount because of having both cable tv and internet, so much that the cable tv is almost free compared to what we'd spend on just the internet.
#4 of 45 Old 10-16-2005, 02:00 PM

we recently (a couple of months ago) got rid of our satellite dish service and I have not regretted it one single bit! I originally got it thinking that my son could have access to a lot of good educational programming (we're homeschoolers), and he did - but it also brought a lot of crappy, commercial-laden, questionable-values kind of kids' programming into the house and I didn't like that at all!

when we cancelled the dish we ordered a netflix subscription and it is just as good as, if not better than, having the dish. it is $40.00 less per month than what we were paying the dish company and we still have access to any educational programming we could want - without the commercials and crappy shows - and we get to watch what we want, when we want to. it's a great compromise for me with my 7 year old, who wants to watch some of his favorite shows......I still get control over what he is choosing to watch and we get to discuss it together before we ever order it, or if it is something I don't know about I can research it before it comes into the house. I really would recommend that if you are looking for a way to save $ on cable or satellite.
#5 of 45 Old 10-17-2005, 06:53 PM
g&a

we got rid of cable in the spring. Now we have 4 very fuzzy local channels. It was dh's idea as we don't watch it much in the summer anyway. Now he wants it back but we can't afford the hook-up fee. Honestly, I'm not missing it AT ALL. We rent movies about 3 times a month and dd is too young to really get kids programs yet. I am going to try to hold off getting it back for as long as I can.

One thing we noticed was that tv commercials are utterly rediculous. You get desensitized to it when you don't see them all the time. They are lound, obnoxious and send blatently obvious sexual, violent, morrally questionable messsages. For that alone I'll fight getting tv back.

kept the internet, though

g.

Canadian mama to A (C/S May 2004) and R (induced VBAC Dec 2007) expecting #3 in July.  Currently obsessing over permaculture, photography and beekeeping.

#6 of 45 Old 10-17-2005, 07:14 PM

We got rid of TV last spring, don't miss it one bit. I don't think I can get rid of internet though, no uh uh. I really am inspired by this site (and a couple of others - craftster, for example) and it's such an inexpensive way to keep in touch with family and friends from all over the country.

I agree re. the commercials - holy moley, I never realized how bad (and frequent) they are until I gave up TV. I sometimes get tempted to start watching TV again, so I tune the channels in again but that usually lasts all of 10 minutes and then I am ready to scream.

flowersforyou.gif

#7 of 45 Old 10-17-2005, 07:26 PM

We don't have cable or satellite. All we have are 5 terrestrial channels here in the UK (i.e. those that are not cable or satellite).

We hardly ever watch TV, sometimes, we rent DVDs (maybe 5 or so a month).

I coud never live without my Internet though. For one, I have an online business and I write/ edit for several online publications, so my work is mostly directly linked to the Internet.
#8 of 45 Old 10-17-2005, 08:50 PM

I wouldn't get rid of the cable unless absolutely necessary, but I would happily cancel it if it meant being able to keep my internet. I'm sure I'd be fine without the TV but I would really miss it.
#9 of 45 Old 10-17-2005, 09:01 PM

I have never had cable TV as an adult, and watching it is... weird now.

Even the Disney channel is TOOLOUD TOOBRIGHT TOOEVERYTHING when I see it at the ped's office. I can't imagine trying to live around that racket. And as pps mention, the commercials so soooo obviously out of line and manipulative that it's pathetic. But I didn't notice it till I quit watching for awhile.

I also dislike the portrayal of women as invariably 5'7'' and 115 pounds. And overwhelmingly white. People on TV look unbelievably fake to me now.

But the Internet is my downfall... it's too easy to leave my window open, drop by and chat, piddle elsewhere, chat, change a dipe, chat... :LOL But I figure we all need a bad habit in this life.
#10 of 45 Old 10-17-2005, 09:21 PM

We gave up cable TV in 1988 and have no regrets. I wouldn't give up my internet now, though. Maybe someday I will be able to do that.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#11 of 45 Old 10-18-2005, 02:32 PM

nak
We've been cable-free for about 7 yrs and I've zero regrets. Can't stand tv anymore. We do watch dvds only on weekends & I love our internet. Probably ought to cut back on it tho. :LOL

Keri, wife to Tony, mom to five DDs: M ('96), S('01), E('04), A('07) and J('10);
#12 of 45 Old 10-18-2005, 03:04 PM

We're TV-free and have been since June (tho we just got a big projector and movie screen to watch DVDs and we subscribe to a service similar to netflix, so we watch a lot of movies) and I LOVE IT!!!!! So does my football obsessed husband. (He was worried. But he's been listening to the games on the 'net radio). Not having cable/ TV is wonderful. I am actually grateful to myself and my DH that we made this step! (Watching TV now when we're at someone else's home or in airports or whatever is just weird... it's such a lesson in how we get used to so much .)

OTOH, it'd be very very hard for me to give up the internet. I would probably benefit from it, but it would be awful at first and I would miss my friends. I don't think I'd ever do it, but you never know. I do know that when the babe comes, I don't want to spend as much time online then as I do now... but I think that'll be a natural effect of parenthood.

Though I did have an OK time when my computer broke and I had to go to the library to check email. It was frustrating in some respects, but it was also a nice vacation of sorts... that's something to think about. Maybe give yourself a week or two weeks where you don't use the computer at home, but go to the library. See how that works out...
#13 of 45 Old 10-18-2005, 03:04 PM

Not sure if I could handle no internet. Mind you I have access at work so maybe I could handle not having it at home but I don't think dh could!

But cable we haven't had in years. I don't watch much tv and what I do like to watch I can watch on the few channels we do still get. We also get a couple of channels that show programs that ds watches. I know a few people who get NO channels but they still rent and buy dvd's/videos.

Allison
ds 5/8/02

Allison, mom to ds born May 2002
#14 of 45 Old 10-18-2005, 03:10 PM

We've been cable free for over a year now. Initially I dropped it because it was just SO expensive for us to get. (almost a hundred bucks for digital cable alone plus another 70 for the internet, no other options around for us) So we dropped the cable and switched our internet provider to a lower cost one. I cannot live without the internet and it does need to be DSL because we're a houseful of gamers here.

I don't miss cable at all... well, honestly only sometimes. When someone on here mentions watching Discovery, Babystory, or something else like that. I remember that I can't watch those anymore. We do get 6 channels with an antenna so I can still watch my favorite local shows. What I DO miss? The DVR.. but honestly, we didn't watch enough tv to constitute almost 200 bucks a month!

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#15 of 45 Old 10-18-2005, 03:18 PM

we got rid of cable when we bought our house. haven't looked back since. I refuse to give up internet though as I use it to do all kinds (school, pay bills, chat, etc) but its only dial up. Not only does it save us $$ but more time to do things as a family and the kids use their brains more
#16 of 45 Old 10-18-2005, 03:26 PM

I don't have cable and wouldn't want it in my house. As far as I'm concerned, the less TV, the better, so even if it were free, I wouldn't want it.

The net is another story--I'd be lost without it.
#17 of 45 Old 10-18-2005, 03:31 PM

I would love to get rid of cable, but couldn't live without the net. However, the MIL needs cable to survive, so I'm stuck. : I just keep praying and hoping for her house to sell so we can move into a house big enough for the different lifestyles.
#18 of 45 Old 10-18-2005, 10:45 PM

I wish we would. Dh works for the cable/internet company though, so we get it for free. Just before he began to work there, I was thinking about throwing our tv away, and reducing our internet to a few hours a month (for emails only). Now dh even plays poker (with real money) on the net.
But that's another story...
#19 of 45 Old 10-18-2005, 10:54 PM

We gave up cable and started up net flix. We like it way better this way because now we only watch what we really want to watch, not just vegging infront of the TV out of bordem. I just had to get rid of the cable, I have little self control so I just have to cut my self free sometimes. I'm really glad we did it. Now we only watch about 6-8 hrs of TV a week, mostly movies and some news with the rabbit ears.
#20 of 45 Old 10-19-2005, 11:57 AM

We've been cable free several years now, and I have not regretted it. I do miss it, but only at certain times. I miss channels like Discovery, history channel, Animal planet, etc. If I knew I could get certain channels without getting other ones (NO cartoon network, NO disney channel) I would do it. My kids are calmer without cable, and since they don't have the constant barrage of "you need this, you need that" from the commercials, they are content with what they have, and much, MUCH more creative.

I couldn't do without internet, the luxury of finding any information I need with the click of a mouse is fantastic. I've learned so much on here, esp. about raising my children.
#21 of 45 Old 10-19-2005, 02:37 PM

I'm in the midst of a week-long elimination of extended cable. So far, so good. If I can turn off extended cable, that will save $32 a month - I've decided I didn't like it enough to pay a dollar a day for it! I'll probably keep basic cable, as I do enjoy some of the prime time major network stuff, and weather.

I can't do without internet, either - too much good information. I may cut back to dialup...haven't decided yet. I'm pretty spoiled w/ cable modem.

crafty mama to Chloe and Emma (10/08) and Piper
emergency medicine PA and single mother by choice
#22 of 45 Old 10-19-2005, 03:28 PM

We've never had cable and there's no way we could afford it. Plus, we get about 5 channels of free tv and that's plenty. I know dh would like to see more hockey games, but that's it. We have dialup internet that costs $10 a month. It works fine for our needs. Good luck to you.
#23 of 45 Old 10-19-2005, 04:02 PM

cable-free peeps - we've never subscribed to cable. we get about five or six channels with our bunny ears, and watch a few shows (lost and amazing race). when we stay at a hotel or someplace with cable...we can be pretty bad about the tv. we went tv free for a couple years a few years back...life was good, but now we're hooked.

as for internet, we use a dial-up connection through my work. works for us.
#24 of 45 Old 10-19-2005, 06:02 PM

Absolutely no regrets.

our first apartment came w/cable... and we watched way too much TV. Since then(about 4years)... we've been using rabbit ears... and rarely watch anything.
it's funny... but once you stop watching TV, it's hard to find any time to watch it at all. we rent dvd's & sometimes return them unwatched.. ANd as pp's have said... it's bizarre when you do see actual TV again.

Internet, now... that's another story! I'm hooked.
#25 of 45 Old 10-19-2005, 10:18 PM

I don't regret not getting cable. We still get WB, NBC, CBS, ABC, UPN and FOX with the bunny ears. I think that is pleny and best of all it's free. There is no way that I could go without interent though :LOL

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#26 of 45 Old 10-20-2005, 12:14 AM

I've never even had cable.

I never think about it to miss.

If I hear of some good history channel show, I ask someone to tape or burn it, or I get it from the Inter Library Loan. .
#27 of 45 Old 10-20-2005, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I miss channels like Discovery, history channel, Animal planet, etc. If I knew I could get certain channels without getting other ones (NO cartoon network, NO disney channel) I would do it.
This is one of the things I LOVE about netflix - you can actually rent many of the television series from these channels - for instance we rent the Kratt Brothers "Be the Creature" and also lots of interesting shows about mummies and Egypt that were originally shown on the history channel.

I always said exactly what you just said - if I could pick certain channels and not have to have all of them - I would maybe consider getting cable! but this is the closest I have found to actually being able to do that.

and NO I don't work for netflix nor do I get any kind of referral credits! :LOL
#28 of 45 Old 10-20-2005, 12:09 PM

We don't have cable or any TV but we do have the internet. (DH is in IT and works from home some; his company actually pays for it.)

Never miss TV. It is so loud and bright and annoying to me. I feel overstimulated when it's on anywhere in public or at friend's houses. Plus, the skinny women and all white men in power stuff is gross to me. I don't like being advertised to all the time by something I am already paying for (commercials).

Life is so much better without TV!!! What would you be missing, really?

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#29 of 45 Old 10-22-2005, 01:35 PM

I'm with most of the other posters here -- no cable tv for a couple years and can't imagine going back. We watch dvds and tapes from the library. Had netflix but we don't have much time to watch tv and I always felt anxious about getting our money's worth.

High-speed internet is an expensive luxury I'd really rather not do without though. It keeps me connected.
#30 of 45 Old 10-22-2005, 02:36 PM

We have the cheapest basic cable package because without it, our channels are fuzzy or we don't get them at all. It's hardly anything extra since we have our phone and internet going through the same service.

What I found with the full cable, which I had when I was on bedrest, is that they play a lot of re-runs. It's almost a waste becuase after you've see the same show 4 times it's not worth it at all.

We do a lot of videos. I borrow from the library. Mostly kid videos. If they are good I will buy copies for our home. Unlike the adults in the house, our kids love reruns.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page