Wearing clothes several times before washing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 85 Old 04-02-2006, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anybody else do this? My sister was complaining about the amount of laundry she has to do and I told her to cut down on that amount by re-wearing some clothes and she was grossed out by that suggestion.

I usually re-use jeans, bras, and towels several times before washing. My DH also re-uses his work shirts once before putting them in the hamper (he wears undershirts and he doesn't get the outside of his work shirts dirty).

Obviously socks and underwear go straight into the hamper. And DS's clothes usually do because he just gets so dirty. But everything else gets re-used until it's stinky or visibly dirty. I thought this was pretty common since both my mom and my little sis do this. But my older sis is grossed out, so what gives?

We're not gross are we? What do you re-use and how many times before it goes in the laundry?
#2 of 85 Old 04-02-2006, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
We do this pretty much exactly like you do. I love all the luandry it saves!
#3 of 85 Old 04-02-2006, 06:47 PM

Absolutely we wear clothing over and over again if it's not visibly dirty. Now I don't mean we all wear the same thing for days in a row. I personally keep my towel for at least a week. I mean,your drying off from a shower,ya know? Saves on not only doing laundry 24/7 it also saves on water and the wear and tear on your clothing.
I do have one particular son who would probably wear his underwear for days in a row too if I'd let him.
#4 of 85 Old 04-02-2006, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldermamato5
I do have one particular son who would probably wear his underwear for days in a row too if I'd let him.
Did you teach him to turn them inside-out to get more wear out of them? Which is probably what I would do if my DS went through a phase like that. Bad, I know.
#5 of 85 Old 04-02-2006, 07:06 PM

I think as long as it smells and looks clean then it esentially is...I thnought everyone did this...I also wash my hair every 3 days and that grosses people out.

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#6 of 85 Old 04-02-2006, 07:08 PM

We all wear clean shirts and pants (I mean underwear pants) every day becuase we are a stinky family BUt everything else hangs around until it looks dirty. Sometimes I spot clean jeans or trousers instead of washing the whole item which takes up space in the washer and takes ages to dry. Dd's clothes do get grubby but she likes to wear them dirty to get dirty again iyswim especially in the garden. She will come and take something out of the dirty clothes basket to play in. Strangely sensible 3 year old child.

Some weeks if the boys are in school and wearing uniform I only wash maybe twice a week for 5 of us. A friend was shocked that I didn't need to wash every day but I know her boys do a lot of asfter school sports and her dd is still in cloth nappies o that probably makes a difference.

I'm planning on keeping my boys reading and doing ec with the new babe to keep the washing down! My other tip is to own fewer clothes.
#7 of 85 Old 04-02-2006, 07:14 PM

I re-wear all clothes-except underwear and socks. I re-wear jeans until they are visable dirty or start to look not so crisp (usually 4-6 times). Pants, sweaters, etc..usually 3-4 times or unless they are visably dirty. I wash towels and sheets once a week. DH and I each use the same towel for the whole week. He would rather not-but I convinced him it is easier than doing laundry all week. DH gets stinky (he usually does not wear deodorant) so he washes shirts each time he wears them, and pants every 2-3 times.

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#8 of 85 Old 04-02-2006, 07:24 PM

We re-wear everything but undershirts and underwear. In the summer we mostly don't wear underwear though.

We do rewear socks though. Smartwool rocks!

And I contend that if one advocates reusing a wool diaper cover several times between washing, well, rewearing wool socks is certainly no more gross that that!
#9 of 85 Old 04-02-2006, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie-dyed
And I contend that if one advocates reusing a wool diaper cover several times between washing, well, rewearing wool socks is certainly no more gross that that!
Our wool diaper covers get used probably 40+ times before washing.

Where do you get wool socks?
#10 of 85 Old 04-02-2006, 07:32 PM

No, you are not crazy. I was brought up that way. The only thing I wear once is my socks and underware. I wear my bra at least three time before I wash it, I alternate with another one so it has a day to air out. I use my towels for a full week before I wash them- I do have little hand towels that I use to dry my crotch and I use a clean one every shower.(I have problems with yeast, and this seams to help.) I have been know to wear my jeans for a week straight before washing them if I don't get them real dirty. Esp. if all I have done is sat at my desk. And my husband has duck bib overalls that he wears to work and I only wash them once a week. I don't see a problem, we take a shower everyday and we put clean underware on.
In the summer when I am mowing and I get really dirty, when I come home I take my clothes off in the laundry room (I have a spot where I fold them and put them) then I go take a shower. Then the next morning, I will get ready (comb my hair, ect.) and when I am ready I go out to the laundry room and put those same clothes on and go out to mow. I wear the same shorts and bra for a full week, and I get a clean shirt about mid week. I don't see the point in washing them everyday when I am going to go right back out and get dirty mowing.
Also, when we get home from work we take our work clothes off and put our comfy clothes on, and we wear them a week before I was them.
Besides I'm not wearing my clothes out washing them.

And I don't think we are gross!!! I think we are pretty clever for realizing that we can wear something more than once before washing it.
#11 of 85 Old 04-02-2006, 07:49 PM

We all change our underwear daily. Dp usually wears the same outfit for 2-3 days. I usually only wear something once because I ALWAYS get things dirty. If I'm eating something, it ends up on my clothes. If I'm cooking, it's gets splattered on me. And of course having a toddler that uses me as a hankie doesn't help! My dds can usually only wear something once too, they usually are filthy by the end of the day. Dd2 usually wears 3-4 outfits a day, so yeah, I have a TON of laundry!
#12 of 85 Old 04-02-2006, 07:55 PM

I totally don't think you're gross! We re-wear most of of our outer clothes, too. (Bras and tanks get reworn by me. My DH, otoh, is a smellier guy, and doesn't rewear undershirts.) Towels get changed once a week. I thought that was standard! (I also change our sheets once a week.) I think rewearing clothes is just good common sense -- makes the clothes last longer, too.

Though I do have a horrible secret life as a stain catcher. Seriously, I can have a napkin covering my entire boob/belly area and STILL manage to drop food on some part of my clothing. It's a gift, I tell you. So, a lot of my outer clothes do have to get washed often, just because of the food staining factor... sigh.
#13 of 85 Old 04-02-2006, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shershine
I usually only wear something once because I ALWAYS get things dirty. If I'm eating something, it ends up on my clothes.
Thank G-d it's not just me!!!
#14 of 85 Old 04-02-2006, 08:05 PM

concidering that I have 1 pair of pants that fit and 3 shirts (oh this lovely postpartum stage) then yes, I do wear stuf many times before washing.
#15 of 85 Old 04-02-2006, 11:50 PM

I feel ya- I wear my jeans till I have a period that I don't need them. I am starting to fit into a few more pairs- but I wear them till they are dirty. Same with my bra-( I only have a few) and I want to start wearing the same night clothes more than once.
However with nursing my boobs still leak some at night- so that I don't like
I am always dirty I feel!
Emilie
#16 of 85 Old 04-03-2006, 12:03 AM

I have 3 dd's and they have a fresh change of clothes once a day sometimes more.

I wear a frsh shirt most every day and jean will do me 2 or so days unless I am outside working then its everyday a clean pair.

A bra will do me till i see dirt
Towles once a week sheets once a week.

I do loads of laundry
#17 of 85 Old 04-03-2006, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
we usually end up changing chirts daily (because we are a train wreck) but pants get worn 3-6 days in a row. pajamas for a week. underwear gets changed daily, socks are a rare occurance around here. . . even in the winter . . . and when we do find a pair that matches we are likely to hold on to it (sad I know). towels get re-used and sheets don't get washed as often as they should. . . . .

and almost everyone I know does it.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#18 of 85 Old 04-03-2006, 12:16 AM

I wear my clothes until they walk themselves to the hamper!

I probably only do a couple of loads of my own laundry every couple of weeks or so. I'm so busy washing diapers and dd's clothes that I have to rewear my own out of sheer necessity!

My older sister, on the other hand, changes her clothes at least once a day and never rewears! She doesn't wash her own clothes, though, so I guess it works for her.
#19 of 85 Old 04-03-2006, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My shirts and dresses need to be washed after each wearing because I perspire a lot- they get uncomfortable whether they're stinky or not (which they probably are.)

Skirts get hung up to air out after wearing all day, unless there's visible dirt. More often than not, I've spilled something on myself before the day is out! My younger two children are messy and need clean clothes daily. My oldest will re-wear some of her clothes without washing.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#20 of 85 Old 04-03-2006, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Darn double-post fairy!!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#21 of 85 Old 04-03-2006, 01:59 AM

I rewear everything but underwear. My jeans get reworn the most, because I only have 2 pair that fit right now. (I gained a bunch of weight, and I'm "going to lose it soon", so I won't buy more. ) Rewearing clean clothes is normal in most other cultures.

Ulrike, mom to:
Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)
#22 of 85 Old 04-03-2006, 03:33 AM

I thought everyone did this!

Underthings get washed after a single wear, and towels do to because we use them to dry the floor after the kids baths, and shirts are generally too dirty after one wearing, but pants can usually stretch a day or three. Except for my younger son, who is a dirt magent and could find mud in a sterile room
#23 of 85 Old 04-03-2006, 07:56 AM

I have to say that I kinda wear things until they stink. Or until I get something on them. Even then if they dont stink I might still wear them around the house. You know,those sweatshirts you put on just to keep warm while your dossin about the house, DOIN LAUNDRY. We reuse towels if they arent dirty.

I have always been like that tho. I like jeans when they get a bit more comfy after wearing them a few times.
#24 of 85 Old 04-03-2006, 09:54 AM

I wear stuff until it's either visibly dirty or it smells, for the most part. I wear fresh underwear every day, or twice a day sometimes even, but I do reuse wool socks. I knit them myself, and they're lanolized just like a diaper cover, and I can get a while out of of them before they have an odor and need washing.

DH wears his work clothes maybe twice at the most, because he's understandably worried about looking good at his job, but a lot of times with his casual clothes I have to say things like, "Uh, hon, that shirt could really stand a wash..."

DD, though, cannot get more than a day out of her clothes. She's 19 months and plays in the mud and in the sandbox and with water, and she's the sloppiest eater you'll ever see, and she's usually GRUBBY by the end of the day. And we rarely get through the night without a bit of wicking from her diaper, so even her pyjamas don't last more than a day.

I do 7 loads of laundry a week as it is, and that's ENOUGH for me. If I had to do more I'd SCREAM.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#25 of 85 Old 04-03-2006, 10:13 AM

if it is stained i wash it.i've been doing alot of laundry lately. but my jeans i'll wash every three times i wear them.
#26 of 85 Old 04-03-2006, 10:50 AM

I do (everything but socks and underwear) if they look and smell clean, but I'm the only one that does. The boys and DH all get too dirty to rewear their clothing. DD...well, she's a preteen girl, can't wear the same thing twice you know.
#27 of 85 Old 04-03-2006, 11:12 AM

Dh and I do, things like jeans and some tops. The kids don't - I would rather they stay (get!) in the habit of clothes off and into the hamper, without judgement calls on it.
#28 of 85 Old 04-03-2006, 11:17 AM

Yes, we do. My dh works in an office and doesn't really get messy. But he always wears an undershirt and doesn't rewear them, so that helps keep his shirts re-wearable. I wear my jeans for weeks without washing them, unless I spill something very visible on them that I can't spot clean. It's winter here, so the kids' clothes don't get grungy as quickly. I only wash towels when they absolutely need it. Ditto for sheets -- with the kids, usually when they have an accident.

We just moved to an apartment and are using the laundromat here. It is so *expensive* to wash clothes. $1.50 for a wash and $1.75 for a dry adds up when you have 5 people and cloth dipes. I'm sure there are more expensive machines out there, but I'm just not used to it!

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#29 of 85 Old 04-03-2006, 01:30 PM

With the exception of underwear and socks all our clothes, towels and sheets get pretty well used before going to laundry. Not so far as stinky, just used.

Sara - Mum to C (10/02) ; m/c 10/07; 7/08; 3/09; Lucy Olive Feb 28, 2010 !
#30 of 85 Old 04-03-2006, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunam
Does anybody else do this?
I don't. I wear fresh clothing always and I encourage that in the children. I do know some children that rewear their clothing (and don't use pajamas as we do in our household, just sleep in their clothing all night) and I have to say, I can always smell them coming. They just don't have the clean smell that my children do. We wash towels after every use, too. Occasionally I allow my DH to reuse his towel once before I'll grab it and put it in the wash.

I guess I'm a bit of a germaphobe. I'd rather our clothing be ratty and worn out from overwashing than be dirty.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page