Safe container for heating lunch at work? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-07-2006, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH brings leftovers (usually we have stews, soups, stuff like that) to work for lunch. Does anyone have any ideas of what he can bring them in that will not spill and that is safe to heat in the micro? He always brings lunch in plastic containers and won't let me throw them out unless I come up with an alternative. Trying to move closer to plastic-free . . .
#2 of 10 Old 04-07-2006, 11:20 PM

We have glass containers in a variety of sizes - they do have plastic lids, but they are easy to remove for heating. I think ours came from Kmart, but I've also seen them at Target and other similar stores.

Keeping busy with 2 boys & 1 girl ('04, '06, '08)
#3 of 10 Old 04-09-2006, 10:38 PM

Glass Pyrex containes with plastic lids are good; you could also use glass jars, but they're not as easy to eat from. You could also consider a stainless steel Thermos that he wouldn't need to worry about heating up.
#4 of 10 Old 04-10-2006, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella_luna
DH brings leftovers (usually we have stews, soups, stuff like that) to work for lunch. Does anyone have any ideas of what he can bring them in that will not spill and that is safe to heat in the micro? He always brings lunch in plastic containers and won't let me throw them out unless I come up with an alternative. Trying to move closer to plastic-free . . .
I have anchor hocking, martha stewart, and pyrex glass containers with rubbery plastic lids.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#5 of 10 Old 04-11-2006, 02:54 PM

I went to a kitchen store and asked for microwave safe and non toxic dishes. I picked out a cool bowl in a really big size so I could fit just about anything I wanted to eat in there, plus it's big enough that it doesnt require plastic wrap to cover (something I always avoid, actually, we dont have a microwave at home, so it's moot). I just leave the bowl at work and bring the leftovers from home in plastic.
#6 of 10 Old 05-14-2006, 09:08 PM

I haven't really had the time I want to research the issues involved with heating plastic, but I know it's not good. I just pretty recently started bringing lunch to work instead of buying it there. When I first started I was nuking the food in the plastic containers and could taste the plastic, which realy grossed me out. I started just bringing a regular plate or bowl with me and dumping my leftovers onto it from the plastic container just prior to heating. Try telling DH that the food definitely tastes better this way.
#7 of 10 Old 05-16-2006, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have big ceramic mugs with plastic lids. I want to say Pyrex makes them but I'm not sure. I went to my local Home Harware and got a couple for $3 a piece vs. the $8 name brand ones. I like them because they aren't a huge bowl. They are deeper than they are wider, but still wide enought to eat comfortably from and fit into lunch bags.

I tried to find a picture, but no luck!

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#8 of 10 Old 05-16-2006, 04:19 PM

As someone else mentioned, I always took my food to work in plasticwear, when heated it in a large bowl I always kept in my desk. I also had a great corningwear (sp?) soup mug I kept at work for soup. I love it because the handle never gets hot when heating soups or casseroles.
#9 of 10 Old 05-22-2006, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srain
You could also consider a stainless steel Thermos that he wouldn't need to worry about heating up.
Highly encourage the SS thermos. We got a wide mouthed one that's short specifically for food puposes. Plus it prevents DH from 'overpacking' his lunch! (We're working on portion control around here!)

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
#10 of 10 Old 05-22-2006, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srain
Glass Pyrex containers with plastic lids are good;
I purchased about 6 of these from walmart or the like, and use them all the time. i eat leftovers at home too, i dont use a micriwave very often, but it works well in the microwave, toaster oven and a regular oven,...i highly recomend these!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page