Can't get my stove top clean.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-14-2006, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a newish gas stove that has those heavy, square cast iron burners (not sure if that's what they're called) covered with enamel. They're grey and the stove top is white enamel. I always seem to let food boil over and now there's a lot of stuff cooked onto the burners that I can't get off. I've taken them off the stove and used oven cleaner on them but that didn't work very well. The stove top also has a lot of stuff cooked onto it too

Does anyone else have the same problem with this kind of stove top? Do you have any tips for cleaning it?

I really liked the way this stove looked when we got it but keeping it clean is such a chore.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2006, 01:44 PM

:

I have the exact same problem, and it drives me batty. You know what I'd love? One of those nice, flat induction cooktops....

Or a maid. :
Old 08-14-2006, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkypoet
:

I have the exact same problem, and it drives me batty. You know what I'd love? One of those nice, flat induction cooktops....

Or a maid. :

I hear you!

I have a friend that has a flat electric cook top and it's sooo easy to clean...wish I had gotten one of those!
Old 08-14-2006, 02:02 PM

Ditto here. I've also made the mistake of using a scouring pad on the stove top and now it has little scratches on it.

The only thing I've had success with getting marks off the stove top is Vim (which I don't like using). I have scrubbed the burners with hot water and soap but it never all comes off.

Allison, mom to ds born May 2002
Old 08-14-2006, 10:07 PM

I have the exact same thing. And the only thing that has worked is ammonia. I know it is not at all good for you but I do it outside. I put everything from the top of the stove in a plastic bag and put just a little bit of ammonia in the bag overnight and then in the morning I rinse it off and it all just comes off with little or no scrubbing. It is the only thing I do in my house that is not natural but it is the only thing that works.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaiahsmom
I have the exact same thing. And the only thing that has worked is ammonia. I know it is not at all good for you but I do it outside. I put everything from the top of the stove in a plastic bag and put just a little bit of ammonia in the bag overnight and then in the morning I rinse it off and it all just comes off with little or no scrubbing. It is the only thing I do in my house that is not natural but it is the only thing that works.
Do you put the amonia right on the burner tops or just a little in the bag? Do the fumes take all the stuff off of them? I think I'm going to give this a try, my stove top is looking pretty bad.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:38 AM

Does soaking them in hot water help?
Or hotwater with some baking soda?
Old 08-15-2006, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prajnamom
Do you put the amonia right on the burner tops or just a little in the bag? Do the fumes take all the stuff off of them? I think I'm going to give this a try, my stove top is looking pretty bad.
I get a garbage bag and put about two cups of amonnia in it. Then I put all the burner tops in the bag over night. I know I have tried everything from bs to vinager. But this is the only thing that has worked. But do it outside! Our house builders recommended this to us.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaiahsmom
I might try this. I may be out of it but what is ammonia? I mean, what do you buy? Is it just called ammonia?

Allison, mom to ds born May 2002
Old 08-15-2006, 12:21 PM

But what about the top of the stove too? Do you put ammonia on that? I have this same issue and it drives me batty.

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:54 PM

katiecat~ It is just in a bottle called ammonia. And ammonia is yellow.

HelloKitty~ I wouldn't use it on top of my stove. I wouldn't use it in my house! The stuff is horrible. And you would have to let it soak for quite a while.

Believe me when I say this stuff is awful. I don't use anything besides bs,vinager, and 7th gen in my house. But nothing touchs the yucky stuff on my stove. And this is the only thing I have found. And I can't stress enough only use it outside!!!!
Old 08-15-2006, 08:57 PM

I use the mr clean magic erasers.......gets rid of EVERYTHING even grease
Old 08-15-2006, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by romans_mum
I use the mr clean magic erasers.......gets rid of EVERYTHING even grease
I've never heard of those but I'm going to give them a try...then do the amonia if it doesn't work

Does the magic eraser get all the stuff off the burners? My stove top and burners have a lot of cooked on grease on food that I just can't get off.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:29 PM

For the stovetop, I use baking soda. A LOT of baking soda. It works, but it takes elbow grease.

For the burners, that is another story. Baking soda doesn't make a dent. SOS pads with the cleanser inside do take off most of the spots, but it is A LOT of work. I'm not sure if I've tried magic eraser.

I'm tempted to try the ammonia. It's such a pain to clean those things! What do you do with the ammonia after you use it (what is leftover in the bag)?
Old 08-15-2006, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prajnamom
I've never heard of those but I'm going to give them a try...then do the amonia if it doesn't work

Does the magic eraser get all the stuff off the burners? My stove top and burners have a lot of cooked on grease on food that I just can't get off.
it got dried pasta off mine
Old 08-16-2006, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=SiValleySteph]For the stovetop, I use baking soda. A LOT of baking soda. It works, but it takes elbow grease.

I use a ton of baking soda and elbow grease too but it never seems to get all of the little black spots off (It does get most of the stuff though). Something boiled over a while back, can't remember what it was, but it left black spots all over the stove top that I just can't get off, it's like they're cooked right into the enamel. :

I'd like to be able to get the burners clean again. They looked so good when the stove was new but if I had the choice again I wouldn't buy this kind of a stove.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiValleySteph
I use a ton of baking soda and elbow grease too but it never seems to get all of the little black spots off
Yeah I have the same issue, I've tried and tried with baking soda to no avail. Actually my burners I can get clean in the sink fine (I guess I'm lucky!) but it's the stove top that is my major problem.

I'll try getting a magic eraser and give that a shot.

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.

User Tag List