If not teflon baking sheets and muffin tins... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 09-03-2006, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...then what kind? And how do you keep things from sticking?

Any thoughts/advice/sharing of experience welcomed.

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 09-05-2006, 04:24 PM

This is a current project for me. I just replaced my muffin pan with a silicone one, but haven't used it (exept to freeze onions) yet. I used silicone for some of my candle molds & I LOVE it, so assume I'll love it for muffins too

For baking sheets I had 2 "pizza stones" (one pampered chef, one an off brand, which I"m quite sure at the time I saw at a discount store (walmart/target/k-mart) but can't find in those types of stores now) that were wedding presents. I pulled them back out & discovered they can be used for pizza, cookies, french fries . . . pretty much anything you'd use a baking sheet. I just ordered (actually recieved today) a pampered chef "bar pan" stone that has a lip around the edge. I'm thinking this will work for things like granola that I worry about falling off the edges of the flat stones. Last time I made granola I just used a 9x13 glass baking dish, I should have used 2, or made a smaller batch because it was abit too thick in the pan, took longer to dry out, but otherwise worked fine.
#3 of 27 Old 09-05-2006, 04:47 PM

Another vote for silicone. I have yet to get muffin ones but for the baking sheets I just use the half sheet pans from the restaraunt supply store with a silicone mat in it. Nothin' sticks. I do have some stoneware too for the stuff I don't cook in the flat pans.

Deb
#4 of 27 Old 09-06-2006, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I bought two very nice enameled steel baking sheets. However, they did not fit in my very small oven. So I reallized that I had an unused broiler pan that came with the oven. I took out the broiling insert and use that as a cookie sheet and a round pizza pan, also enameled steel that I have had for years. They make great cookies and although there is some sticking (I do oil the sheets slightly before I use), they usually come clean fairly easily. I also bought enamel pie plates and I love them.
#5 of 27 Old 09-06-2006, 01:29 PM

I use Pampered Chef stoneware. I love it!!!! Nothing sticks to it!
#6 of 27 Old 09-07-2006, 02:23 PM

[QUOTE=sweetpeas] I just ordered (actually recieved today) a pampered chef "bar pan" stone that has a lip around the edge. I'm thinking this will work for things like granola that I worry about falling off the edges of the flat stones.QUOTE]

I LOVE using my pampered chef bar pan for making granola (and just about everything else...)! I have to add a couple minutes to the baking time to allow for the pan to warm up, but then things get crisped so nicely. And once the pan is well-seasoned, you don't even have to oil it for granola.
#7 of 27 Old 09-07-2006, 04:07 PM

If you don't have the pampered chef stones - parchment paper is amazing stuff. I can generally get 3-4 rounds through the oven with each sheet.
#8 of 27 Old 09-07-2006, 04:24 PM

Yes, parchment paper can be ok....but you still don't want to be baking with Teflon or other non stick substances. It emits poisonous gasses.
#9 of 27 Old 09-07-2006, 04:43 PM

I have the pampered chef muffin stoneware thingy. They didn't stick I was shocked! I love it!
#10 of 27 Old 09-07-2006, 05:13 PM

Yeah, I can't wait til they come out with a stoneware mini muffin pan. I'll be ordering a few of those! (sure helps that i'm a PC consultant. LOL)
#11 of 27 Old 09-08-2006, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, dumb question, is stoneware heavy? And breakable?

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
#12 of 27 Old 09-08-2006, 07:57 AM

Stoneware is somewhat heavy. Depends on what it is. For example, a pizza stone will be heavier than a small casserole dish.
It's definitely not as heavy as cast iron though!
Yes, stoneware is breakable. It's not delicate, but it can be broken if you drop it, etc.
#13 of 27 Old 09-08-2006, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I got a cheap department store stoneware pizza round and use it as I would a baking sheet. I don't bake muffins but rather use my pyrex loaf pan and make muffin "bread" (oil sides)

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#14 of 27 Old 09-08-2006, 01:04 PM

The problem with cheap stoneware is that it can contain lead. (especially if made outside the USA).
#15 of 27 Old 09-08-2006, 02:17 PM

We recently got some aluminum Wilton brand ones that work well (better than other brands of aluminum ones we have used). We grease the tins and the muffins come out well, especially if you let them cool first. Actually, they stick less than they did to our (admittedly cheap) nonstick muffin tins. Plus they dishwash fairly well, for muffin tins, that is. And so far no rust. Muffin tins can be very tricky, IMO. I normally don't worry too much about teflon but on our muffin tins the teflon was actually flaking off and sticking to the sides of the muffins - yuck!
#16 of 27 Old 09-08-2006, 05:58 PM

How safe are the silicon baking products? I see them and think they would work great, but baking in silicon? It had me second guessing it for some reason even though I didn't research it.
#17 of 27 Old 10-08-2006, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine12 View Post
We recently got some aluminum Wilton brand ones that work well (better than other brands of aluminum ones we have used). We grease the tins and the muffins come out well, especially if you let them cool first. Actually, they stick less than they did to our (admittedly cheap) nonstick muffin tins. Plus they dishwash fairly well, for muffin tins, that is. And so far no rust. Muffin tins can be very tricky, IMO. I normally don't worry too much about teflon but on our muffin tins the teflon was actually flaking off and sticking to the sides of the muffins - yuck!
I heard that too much aluminum could cause brain damage???? I'm not sure about it though - I read an article sometime or other. I've stayed away from aluminum - except for soda cans.

I wonder about the stoneware - can it really ever be clean? All those oils freak me out a bit.

I like glass, but I too use a regular baking pan for cookies. Anybody have other ideas? Can you use glass for cookies?....I've never tried.
#18 of 27 Old 10-09-2006, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JkFelix View Post
How safe are the silicon baking products? I see them and think they would work great, but baking in silicon? It had me second guessing it for some reason even though I didn't research it.
from what i gather, the word is still out on the silicon. honestly, it just doesnt sound to safe though. i like stoneware.
#19 of 27 Old 10-10-2006, 02:07 AM

I have silicone muffin and cake pans. I think they are okay, but am not in love. You still have to use oil/grease. Is this true with the stoneware too? My favorite bread pan is not non-stick and is thick metal (sorry--I don't know what it is made of) that I got as a gift from William Sonoma.
#20 of 27 Old 10-12-2006, 04:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have some really old cookie sheets- I think they once had a nonstick coating but after accidentally going through the self-clean cycle of my oven there's no coating left! I use them with parchment paper most of the time, or aluminum foil if my kitchen's a mess and I can't locate the parchment paper.

One of these days I'll buy some stainless steel "professional quality" cookie sheets.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#21 of 27 Old 10-12-2006, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binxsmom View Post
from what i gather, the word is still out on the silicon. honestly, it just doesnt sound to safe though. i like stoneware.
It doesn't sit well with me either.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#22 of 27 Old 10-14-2006, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JkFelix View Post
We received some silicon baking products as wedding gifts (loaf pans and a angel foodcake pan) and I have stopped using them because I can taste the 'plastic' taste when I cook with them. I couldn't taste it with say...meatloaf, but I could with banana bread. It just tasted...off. So, we're getting rid of them and replacing with stainless steel and stone where when we can.
#23 of 27 Old 11-04-2006, 05:57 PM

aluminum also has been linked to alzheimers. stainless steel is the best. i oil them well and have no problem with sticking. you can get them at www.organicgrace.com . they are not online yet but will be in a week or so. meanwhile you can just call and order them......

Talia Rose - mountain mama to Grace and Xack::  h20homebirth.gif :homeschool.gif  goorganic.jpgwhale.gifchicken3.gif

www.organicgrace.com Products Healthier for Humans and Gentler on the Earth

#24 of 27 Old 11-04-2006, 06:41 PM

For baking, we have aluminum quarter and half sheets. Aluminum is thought to be a problem when it's the thin, super cheap stuff and when it's used with *hot acidic foods*. We use pretty heavy aluminum and we usually cover it with parchment paper.

We have some stoneware. I also use cast iron in the oven for pizza and the like.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#25 of 27 Old 11-05-2006, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxinsmom View Post
We received some silicon baking products as wedding gifts (loaf pans and a angel foodcake pan) and I have stopped using them because I can taste the 'plastic' taste when I cook with them. I couldn't taste it with say...meatloaf, but I could with banana bread. It just tasted...off. So, we're getting rid of them and replacing with stainless steel and stone where when we can.
Me, too. I threw ours out. I use cast iron as much as possible. I need all the iron I can get. I try to avoid aluminum b/c of the Alzheimer's link, myself. Hopefully one of these days I will have a few extra bucks to toss our super scratched teflon and aluminum for real stuff. (crosses fingers)

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#26 of 27 Old 11-19-2006, 05:00 PM

I won't use aluminum or silicone and I think stoneware is too heavy. I use glass and am looking for some stainless steel baking sheets. They can cost a fortune though. I use a regular muffin pan and line it with those paper cups.
#27 of 27 Old 11-20-2006, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I my Pampered Chef Stoneware! Wouldn't trade it for the world!

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page