Mothering Forum banner

How bad are plastic ziplock bags?

816 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  serenetabbie 
#1 ·
I'm trying to be more organized in the kitchen, and one technique I'm excited about is freezing up 2-cup portions of shredded cheese; chunks of tofu or chicken in marinade; and cooked beans, rice, and pasta. The technique is to put each portion in a ziplock freezer bag which allows you to get all the air out to avoid freezer burn, freeze flat to maximize storage space, and thaw quickly when needed.

I love this idea, but I'm worried about using plastic against our food, especially "wet" food that will be frozen and then thawed. (I'm not as worried about using a disposable product because I plan on washing out and re-using the bags.)

Anyone know just how bad (or not bad) this might be?

I could freeze in jars but I'd be worried about freezer burn (if there's air at the top), using up too much space in the freezer, and not being able to thaw the food out quickly.

#4 ·
Wow! There is a bunch of information on food storage in plastics on the web... a little overwhelming and enough to make me throw away all the containers left in my house that are plastic. I knew all plastics were not equal, but MAN I had no idea!

I do use ziplock brand freezer bags to freeze produce and other things, so that is what I looked up. I found some links that are helpful..

break the chain, hipforums, and The Green Guide. HTH a little!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.