Help! We have fleas and Frontline hasn't worked.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-01-2006, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One of our cats got outside and now all of our cats have a serious flea problem. I bought some Frontline and put it on all the cats- it's supposed to work for a month- it never got rid of the fleas. We gave them another dose of Frontline and still the fleas are here.....now they are starting to get on us instead of just the cats and I don't know what to do! Are there any natural alternatives? Should I call the animal shelter and beg them to give me a discount on flea baths? We have wood floors but we do have a rug here and there- is there anything we should put on our furniture and rugs? I will REALLY appreciate any advice on what to do.

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2006, 01:54 PM

I heard Advantage was more effective than Frontline.

HTH
Old 10-01-2006, 02:02 PM

I'd suggest you go over the indoor-outdoor cat with a fine-toothed comb whenever he/she comes inside. That cat may be bringing in fleas even as Frontline's killing them off. If that cat's got a hiding place outside, like under the porch or something, there might be fleas waiting there for him/her for a meal and an accidental ride into the house. There may be eggs in the house too that are hatching, growing up and appearing on the cats etc..
Vacuum (throw out the bag) any place the cat's hang out on or wash it.

"Let us put our minds together and see what life we can make

for our children." ~ Tatanka Iotanka

Join and help start the nonprofit organization "World Parent"

www.worldparent.org

Old 10-01-2006, 02:15 PM

We just went through this : . We tried to treat it naturally first- brushing every day with small comb, giving the cats baths (poor babies, this was terrible), vacuuming a lot, etc. We went for about three weeks doing these things every day (minus the baths). The fleas were still there, our legs were bit up, we were doing way too much laundry (b/c the cats sleep in our bed). It was terrible.

We gave up and went the vet and got Advantex (I think it's called). It was super easy and the fleas are gone. I know it's not NFL, but neither is being all irritated and using a ton of water to wash your sheets every day.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimswamswum View Post

We gave up and went the vet and got Advantex (I think it's called). It was super easy and the fleas are gone. I know it's not NFL, but neither is being all irritated and using a ton of water to wash your sheets every day.
that's what I'm thinking- I'll do anything to get rid of these darned fleas! How much is Advantex? Did you just have to do one treatment? Did you have to give them a bath first?

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

Old 10-09-2006, 02:08 AM

On the pets, definitely go for the Advantex. As far as in the house, there is this stuff you can get called diatomaceous earth. You can find it at feed stores and some lawn and garden stores. I think it may be used as a fertilizer?? Totally nontoxic, although it does have hazards. You can put it down on your rugs and let it settle in. Just keep the kiddos out while you're at it and wear a dust mask. It is a claylike substance (very fine powder) that dehydrates the bugs until they die. It can irritate mucous membranes but you'd have to breathe in a whole lot of it for it to be an issue. We've use it for years without a problem. You can also use it to naturally worm your pets. You just mix in a T or so w/ their food each day.

The other natural way to get fleas out of a rug sounds absolutely ridiculous, but it works pretty well. You place a lit candle in a shallow dish of slightly soapy water and set it out overnight. They're drawn to the heat and drown.

Good luck getting rid of the little vampires.

mama to DD yikes2.gif She's a teenager! 12/19/97 and DS jammin.gif 09/18/03
Old 10-16-2006, 01:30 PM

A friend of mine has five indoor cats and they use 1/4t of apple cider vinegar in one of their feedings daily. Apparently it makes them taste bad to the fleas. We have been using it for about a month on our two cats and so far so good. Just an idea. You can also use 1/2 diatomaceous earth and 1/2 borax together brushed into the carpets. Leave it a few hours and then vac. up. There is also an essential oil based bug spray in the camping area of Walmart that keeps them off of people very well (sorry I can't remember the name of it)!!! Hope this helps

User Tag List