Venting dryer indoors to add heat to house ? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 14 Old 10-07-2006, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone tried this ? I'm looking into kits that allow you to vent your dryer inside to add heat during the cold weather months. Electric dryers only, since gas dryers can have carbon monoxide issues.

It looks like the downsides are lint and moisture - the lint should be pretty much taken care of by a special filter (and the kits are cheap, less than $30) and I really think we could use the moisture - our house is super dry in the winter, we're fairly drafty anyways so winter humidity is never a concern, and we have really tall ceilings, so there's a lot of space to fill.

The idea of free extra heat, going into the kitchen which is our chilliest room, is really tempting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 10-07-2006, 07:39 PM

I've wondered before whether this could be done. What a great idea! Do you have links for the kits?

:
#3 of 14 Old 10-07-2006, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Here are some kits/info that I've been looking at:

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/h...ryer-Vent.html

http://www.indoorlinttrapfilter.com/servlet/StoreFront

http://www.nextag.com/dryer-indoor-vent/search-html

http://www.dulley.com/tip/t1101.shtml

And here is a pretty strong naysayer - apparently in some areas, it's against code to vent a dryer to the inside - but even this person says that if the indoor vent system is properly maintained, it will do the job.

#4 of 14 Old 10-07-2006, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

#5 of 14 Old 10-08-2006, 12:41 AM

Interesting . . . what happens in the summer when extra heat's a bad thing?
#6 of 14 Old 10-08-2006, 01:40 AM

Thanks for posting the links. I think this is a great idea for winter use, and I'm going to recommend the device to my husband. I'm all for the added heat and moisture.

We'll just have to remember to keep an eye on the water level, which shouldn't be hard because our dryer is in the middle of the kitchen. Thanks opally!
#7 of 14 Old 10-08-2006, 02:29 AM

just a word on moisture:

We're currently venting our dryer into the addition of our house, and have not been happy with the results. The amount of moist air that a dryer pumps out (at least our dryer) is akin to a long, hot shower. The walls become moist and the windows steam up. This is especially frustrating in winter because water + cold windows = ice.

I suppose we could run a humidifier, but that takes up space, and kinda defeats the purpose of saving energy by venting inside.
#8 of 14 Old 10-08-2006, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeas View Post
Interesting . . . what happens in the summer when extra heat's a bad thing?
You can either get some sort of T-connector to switch back and forth, for cold or warm weather, or, it looks like the assembly is simple enough that you just take off the inside vent and reattach your outside vent once the weather is warm.

Domesticzookeeper - yep, moisture is pretty much my only concern. I'm really hoping that our house handles the extra humidity though - our house is old (over 110 years) with a pretty decent air exchange (i.e., it's fairly leaky and drafty) and 10 ft ceilings, so I think there's a good change that the extra moisture will be a good thing.

Since the kits are so affordable, I think we may go ahead and give it a try, because the lack of success will be really obvious - wet walls and lint drifting through the air. But if it works, it would be great.
#9 of 14 Old 10-08-2006, 09:12 PM

It's still 90 degrees where I live, but I'll let you all know our results once it gets cold enough for us to install!
#10 of 14 Old 10-08-2006, 09:17 PM

We have on in our basement and I love it in the winter. There are many days that I don't have to pump up the heat as much if I'm doing laundry. I've never had a problem w/the moisture. We only have that problem in the summer and then we have the air go outside. Good Luck!

Kerrie Mama to DD 10 yo, DS 8 yo and DD 5  

#11 of 14 Old 10-09-2006, 09:58 PM

a few years ago, we lived in a loft that had the dryer vented into the home. it worked very well. no problems with moisture that i recall.
#12 of 14 Old 10-09-2006, 10:25 PM

When we first got married and had a dryer, the vent to the outside never worked and so it basically vented out to the inside. I had never heard of the lent kit, and BOY did we have HUGE issues with lent. You would be amazed how much lent that sucker puts out. Four years after our dryer died and we started hanging things to dry, I was STILL vacuuming lent from the carpet. It was a huge mess, so I would definitely say go for the kit.

I've heard you just need to be careful and make sure it is all done properly, because it could be a potential fire hazard...our apt. building didn't actually allow it, but they never came to FIX it either, so by default, we had it that way - LOL!
#13 of 14 Old 10-10-2006, 01:15 AM
~pi

We always did this when I was a kid ... we just covered the end of the tube with a piece of pantyhose. I grew up in a very cold, dry climate though, and we never used the dryer in the summer, so we didn't have to worry about switching back and forth.

almost irrational
#14 of 14 Old 11-04-2006, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Just popping back to this thread with a quick update - we got the kit (at our local hardware store, it's an Ace Hardware kit, $12) and installed it - I love it. Super easy to hook up, the moisture is not a problem at all, the air is nice & warm, and it smells great too.

For anyone who is thinking about doing this, I really recommend it !

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page