Does your house smell good? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 19 Old 10-09-2006, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Because I feel like mine doesn't. Dh cooks a lot and while it's great food, two days later, our house smells kind of stale. I can't seem to air my house out enough. I've visited several homes lately that smelled like they burned a lot of smelly candles (florals, vanilla, etc.), but I don't like those scents at all. Plus, it seems like it masks the smell of their, I don't know, off-gassing carpte and laminate floors?? Anyway, I'm not sure WHAT I want my place to smell like. . . clean, I suppose. But right now, it doesn't.

So, how do you get a good smelling house??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 10-09-2006, 08:25 PM

I'm a bad one to ask cause when our house smells stale and I can't open the windows to air it out, I burn candles. Though I don't like heavy scented ones (especially florals), ones with a light smell that makes it slightly smell like I baked that day (but didn't). Other than that, my only solution is opening the windows for part of the day, weather permitting.
#3 of 19 Old 10-09-2006, 08:26 PM

My house doesn't smell like anything. I make sure to have a window open for several hours a day to air things out, even in the dead of winter.

#4 of 19 Old 10-09-2006, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I like smelly candles : yet don't get much chance to burn them these days with 2 little ones. have you tried a room mist? what about an aromatherapy burner with essential oils? potpourri is nice too

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#5 of 19 Old 10-09-2006, 08:33 PM

I buy the Ecco mist from the crunchy store. It contains essential oils & there are several scents to choose from. I love lavender. There are infusers you can use with any essential oil you like, or that smells "clean" to you. Mamas more experienced with essential oils may have suggestions as to which ones smell clean.
I use lavender, peppermint, & tea tree oil regularly in our home for cleaning & aroma for everything from laundry to our baths.

read.gif+dp_malesling.GIFreading.gifmoon.gifblahblah.gifjog.gif(All waterbirth.jpg. 3 @ homebirth.jpg30stork-suprise.gif*31*32*33*34*35*36*37*38*39*40?41*42?h20homebirth.gif 
#6 of 19 Old 10-09-2006, 09:21 PM

A good homemade room deoderizer that I use everyday is water w/baking soda and a few drops of EO's (I use a mix of lemon and cranberry) it is soooo awesome and easy and cheap!

Laura WAHM to Mar 03/01/05 and Evie 05/14/08, partner to Craig
#7 of 19 Old 10-09-2006, 09:28 PM

I like the liquids that come in a glass jar with sticks that, well, stick up. I first got one of these from my fil, whose gf brought it from Israel. Unfortunately, I can't read the ingredients, being that they are in Hebrew and all! I have looked for them in this country (US), and have only found 1 $60 (!!!) version. When your house seems really stinky, you flip over a stick or 2.

My son's school just sent home the Sally Foster catalog Friday, and there's one in for $15! I am buying 4. DH wants 1 for his office (he bike commutes and says his clothes make it stinky!) and one for home. Then 2 extras til next Nov! WHo would have thought I'd be so excited?
#8 of 19 Old 10-09-2006, 09:37 PM

I take half a small box of baking soda and add about 30 drops lemon eo, and shake in an empty yogurt container. I sprinkle it all over the floor and vacuum. The cent only lst for a couple of hours, but that't fine. I leave a window open somewhere and that makes the home almost oderless. Bath and Body Works has some wonderfull smelling eos that are mixed, and you can use them the same, but they are a bit spendy. I am also a fan of their plug in-s.

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#9 of 19 Old 10-09-2006, 10:42 PM

I was going to suggest the baking soda with an EO, too. I haven't tried it yet, but am excited to. If my sink needs to smell better sometimes I'll put a few drops of my fav EO down there and it really helps after those smelly meals that need the disposal.
#10 of 19 Old 10-09-2006, 10:46 PM

I spray vinegar in the air to get rid of cooking smells. Spray it like an air freshener and the scent will dissipate taking the old food smells away. Add some eo if you'd like
#11 of 19 Old 10-09-2006, 11:14 PM

I keep a few spray bottles around the house with different EO combinations - patchouli & lemongrass, lavender & rosewood, cedar & tangerine - whatever smells good. They are 8 oz bottles of water with about 10-20 drops of EO - I spray them on anything & everything. Furniture, bedding, rugs, linens, clothes, garbage cans, drapes - you name it.

Also, when I do our floors, I use Murphy's Oil soap and lots of EO - usually lavender - and that really helps keep things smelling good. And one of my few splurges in life is Mrs. Meyers cleaning products - really $$, but I buy them on sale, and they smell good enough to bathe in. The lemon verbena is heavenly.
#12 of 19 Old 10-09-2006, 11:48 PM

I don't know if anyone mentioned it but they sell those plug in things at target under their "natural" line. I got one for DD room after we ripped up the carpet (got wet & semi stinky underneath). it smells yummy!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#13 of 19 Old 10-09-2006, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsishomemade View Post
I spray vinegar in the air to get rid of cooking smells. Spray it like an air freshener and the scent will dissipate taking the old food smells away. Add some eo if you'd like
This works great in the bathroom too, so your house doesn't smell like sh... uh, stinky bathrooms.

Ruth, single mommy to 3 quasi-adults
#14 of 19 Old 10-10-2006, 12:31 AM

Macintosh apple scented Yankee Candle cures all our stinky blues

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#15 of 19 Old 10-10-2006, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftymom View Post
I like the liquids that come in a glass jar with sticks that, well, stick up. I first got one of these from my fil, whose gf brought it from Israel. Unfortunately, I can't read the ingredients, being that they are in Hebrew and all! I have looked for them in this country (US), and have only found 1 $60 (!!!) version. When your house seems really stinky, you flip over a stick or 2.

My son's school just sent home the Sally Foster catalog Friday, and there's one in for $15! I am buying 4. DH wants 1 for his office (he bike commutes and says his clothes make it stinky!) and one for home. Then 2 extras til next Nov! WHo would have thought I'd be so excited?
just wanted to give a heads up that last time i checked, pier one sells these for really cheap. ($10 or so).

i burn incense and it makes our house smell wonderful. usually i'm very sensitive to scents, but i spluge on good quality incense. we have a lavender one that is awesome. it burns clean and leaves behind such a great smell.

and i also looooove mrs. meyers products. worth every penny.
#16 of 19 Old 10-10-2006, 12:58 AM

Yup, but then, I have a home business making soy wax candles, so my house generally smells like candles I'm either pouring &/or testing
#17 of 19 Old 10-10-2006, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Great ideas everyone! I'm on the job today because I'm bound and determined to have a good-smelling house! Thank you all
#18 of 19 Old 10-15-2006, 02:06 AM

It's a constant challenge. I like EO's with water in a mister bottle, but smell never last long enough.

I want to insulate my basement ceiling to get a barrier from basement smells that waft up through the wood floor (oooollllldddd house).

I have charcoal/hepa air filters and keep the windows open as much as possible. too.

When I can remember to do it (usually only in winter), I like to simmer a pan with water, orange or other citrus peel, cinnamon stick and clove. It REALLY smells great.
#19 of 19 Old 10-15-2006, 02:14 AM

I hope so

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page